[QUOTE=Londonee;6821814]It's funny, when Philly is described it's always referred to as a "Blue Collar City" - and people seem to think that's a badge of honor? I'm not a huge fan of that stereotype - blue collar to most people means non-college educated, lunch-pale toting, construction working, pipe-fittin folks who drive american cars and exclusively drink dunkin donuts coffee. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's just not representative of the city anymore. I live in Center City and so do my friends, their occupations are: lawyer, financial trader, doctor, creative director, consultant, advertising executive, writer, freelance journalist, sculptor, audio engineer.
But people really seem to identify with this Rocky-complex and find it cool for some reason--and I think it leads to a misrepresentation of what the city and our economy has become: energetic, creative, diverse, smart, young.
I am certainly happy for you and your lawyer , doctor , writer , sculptor friends . May you all be blessed with six figure incomes .
My friends , electricians , plumbers , stone masons , musicians , photographers , teachers , a dentist and financial advisor .
I drink dunkin donuts coffee .... because I like the taste . I drive a ( mostly ) American built car because it is my way of supporting
the economy , in a small way .
My wife and I have a healthy joint six figure income and dine out , drink wine , attend shows , travel and enjoy the diversity of
neighbors and friends . We do not pigeon hole our life style or shy away from " lunch-pale toting , construction working , pipe-fitting
folks , any more than we pretend to belong to a social net work of individuals who don't know how to shut their water off or turn
the power back on when the lights go out .
We both have degrees but wound up enjoying careers unrelated to our fields of study ... I like to think of that as , diversification .
.......... PS; Have a nice " Thanksgiving "