Interesting how the 111 site was the last to be cleared and fully excavated and it's the first part to come up above ground.
They had to clear the site in a way that they could remove the debris, thus the 111 corner was last. My assumption is that the reason 111 is progressing much faster is that it is going to be a much longer building cycle than the Eccles Theater.
I have a construction question that maybe someone can answer; my sons asked me this when we were downtown a while back and I didn't have a good answer for them.
In that image, there are some black walls that look like they're held in by orange/red grids. They're assembled on the ground, and then lifted into place by the cranes, where they're sort of fitted into a slot formed by the rebar.
From where we were at (Regent Street Parking Terrace) it looked like it was made of either metal or a heavy plastic material, not concrete.
Does anyone know what the material is, and if that's something that they do on every floor? I've only seen pretty traditional framing and construction, and this part looked different from anything I'd seen. Anyone know? Am I smoking the crack again?
No, I'm on TRAX every day and I see the same thing - not sure what it is. It doesn't look very sturdy (it's bent) and I think it's just framing for concrete. There are no I-beams in the ground of 111 either, but a rebar grid
I have a construction question that maybe someone can answer; my sons asked me this when we were downtown a while back and I didn't have a good answer for them.
In that image, there are some black walls that look like they're held in by orange/red grids. They're assembled on the ground, and then lifted into place by the cranes, where they're sort of fitted into a slot formed by the rebar.
From where we were at (Regent Street Parking Terrace) it looked like it was made of either metal or a heavy plastic material, not concrete.
Does anyone know what the material is, and if that's something that they do on every floor? I've only seen pretty traditional framing and construction, and this part looked different from anything I'd seen. Anyone know? Am I smoking the crack again?
It is just the form work for the concrete walls. The panels that are in place now will be removed after they pour the concrete and it sets. They will then be reused as the building rises.
I have a construction question that maybe someone can answer; my sons asked me this when we were downtown a while back and I didn't have a good answer for them.
In that image, there are some black walls that look like they're held in by orange/red grids. They're assembled on the ground, and then lifted into place by the cranes, where they're sort of fitted into a slot formed by the rebar.
From where we were at (Regent Street Parking Terrace) it looked like it was made of either metal or a heavy plastic material, not concrete.
Does anyone know what the material is, and if that's something that they do on every floor? I've only seen pretty traditional framing and construction, and this part looked different from anything I'd seen. Anyone know? Am I smoking the crack again?
Those are concrete wall forms that usually are wooden on the inside with the grid parts being metal. There are holes in them that allow large screw looking things to be slid through but usually have to be pounded to fit that are used to hold the 2 sides together.
I had the opportunity to help put some of those together when I was working on the P&G paper factory south of Tremonton a few years back. They come in a few different sizes and the pieces are clamped together along the metal grid portions. Clamping them together is the easy part, its the rods that go through that hold the two sides together and keep them at the right spacing which is the pain in the arss part.
Yeah, it looked like an interesting process. Then again, it looked like the most LEGO-ey part of construction, so I was interested. In any case, I'll be able to explain to my boys what they're for and how they work.
Gosh, I hate to be so negative about it, but I just don't see 111 as being under construction...perhaps it's the angle of the pictures. It just doesn't look like it's up to the sidewalk as it should be. And no steel on site? No where...not even the official website mentions this building as being under construction. Their latest press releases are months old. Emporis mentions it as only "planned"...and for the life of me I cannot find any tenant that has yet signed on. I cannot seriously believe this is a spec building. Is anyone else sharing my anxiety over this? It looks like they might be bringing it to ground level only. I hope I'm wrong. But there just is absolutely no indication from any source other than on SS.com that this is viable. Don't you think we'd have heard of a lead tenant by now? PLEASE SOMEONE prove me wrong!
The 111 office building is under construction and will be built. They have secured a building permit for which they paid almost $1 million in review fees. I do know that they have secured some tenants though they're not saying who at this point. There have been lots of meetings with the LDS Church and they are moving forward with the project.
Gosh, I hate to be so negative about it, but I just don't see 111 as being under construction...perhaps it's the angle of the pictures. It just doesn't look like it's up to the sidewalk as it should be. And no steel on site? No where...not even the official website mentions this building as being under construction. Their latest press releases are months old. Emporis mentions it as only "planned"...and for the life of me I cannot find any tenant that has yet signed on. I cannot seriously believe this is a spec building. Is anyone else sharing my anxiety over this? It looks like they might be bringing it to ground level only. I hope I'm wrong. But there just is absolutely no indication from any source other than on SS.com that this is viable. Don't you think we'd have heard of a lead tenant by now? PLEASE SOMEONE prove me wrong!
I have a friend that works for Goldman Sachs and he said they are moving at least a portion (possibly even additional future expansion) ...of their workforce into this building. This was last Aug or so and I am pretty sure he was referring to 111 S Main. I mean, not everyone is as familiar with development and future development as all of us but I recall him specifically detailing this building when we talked.