HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5661  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 8:48 PM
phillyaggie phillyaggie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
Not knowing the specific history, I'm not going to pretend to know what's right. I'd hardly call it a tin-foil hat accusation, though.
sorry, been too busy to post here and haven't visited the pages either, but just wanted to close the loop on this one.

i didn't mean the post to be an accusation at all, just merely pointing out financial facts as reported by financial media... PhiLaw may or may not have anything to do with the deal, and am not accusing him of any wrongdoing. Simply stating that this company seems to have been hollowed out by private equity and now brought back to the public market as an IPO, but the stockholders' equity is perhaps 1/5th, while 4/5th of the value of this company's enterprise is in the form of debt.

This sort of thing happens often enough, and there is all sorts of press and books written on it in the past 10 to 20 years. If anybody wants, I can post some resources on the topic. As for why would stock holders buy into this IPO?-- everybody has a reason for buy or sell stock, doesn't mean everybody is going to be right! And there are indeed "bag holders" in stock market all the time. Wrong assumptions? Wrong info? Hoping to make a quick buck and cash out? All I know is the IPO isn't funding the company's coffers, the money is going to selling shareholders. The company's liquidity and debt positions are in the financial prospectus and in the financial newsmedia for everybody to see.

The only reason I even brought it up here on a development forum is because PhiLaw was going gaga over the prospects of this company. He may have more insider knowledge and that's great. I just wasn't convinced the company is in a position to finance much of a high growth... and even that is confirmed by them asking for state government help with their plans at the Navy Yard.

I'm all for rooting for a locally based company, and wish them all the best! I hope their plans include building a shiny new skyscraper for their HQ! That would be awesome, considering FMC (another local chemical company) is doing the same...


ok, carry on.

PhiLaw, sorry to rub you the wrong way. Didn't mean anything by it. Perhaps I'll buy you a first round if we meet. Cool? haha
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5662  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 8:54 PM
phillyaggie phillyaggie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I do not see this conversation ending well. Let's end it before it gets out of hand.
no worries.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5663  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 9:43 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
Nice promo piece on our city from NatGeo Traveler:

http://www.discoverphl.com/media/3046874/philly_booklet_ngt_forwebfinal.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5664  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 1:54 AM
Guipos08 Guipos08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SJ/Philly
Posts: 100
Water Skiing the Schuylkill

http://www.hop.camera/phone/index.html

Check out the latest video of my cousins website. They used a drone to film a friend water skiing the Schuylkill near 30th street station. Great aerial shots of the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5665  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 2:46 AM
cafeguy cafeguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guipos08 View Post
http://www.hop.camera/phone/index.html

Check out the latest video of my cousins website. They used a drone to film a friend water skiing the Schuylkill near 30th street station. Great aerial shots of the city.
Better link to it here... http://vimeo.com/112409848

But, man, how great would it be if we "took back the river". If Philly somehow promoted the use of the river by people, that would be amazing. Maybe build single family homes along some parts? More slips? I dunno. But it would be cool.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5666  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 2:58 AM
Guipos08 Guipos08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SJ/Philly
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
Better link to it here... http://vimeo.com/112409848

But, man, how great would it be if we "took back the river". If Philly somehow promoted the use of the river by people, that would be amazing. Maybe build single family homes along some parts? More slips? I dunno. But it would be cool.
Thanks for sharing, i havent posted a video or photo yet so i wasnt quite sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5667  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 3:05 AM
phillyskyline's Avatar
phillyskyline phillyskyline is online now
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the sky with other skyscrapers
Posts: 2,573
That's absolutely 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 amazing!! Thanks for sharing.
__________________
"OK gang, you know the rules, no humping, no licking, no sniffing hineys."
Harry Dunne
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5668  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 6:05 AM
UPenn18's Avatar
UPenn18 UPenn18 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: University City
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
But, man, how great would it be if we "took back the river". If Philly somehow promoted the use of the river by people, that would be amazing. Maybe build single family homes along some parts? More slips? I dunno. But it would be cool.
Man that would be cool but frankly the Schuylkill is pretty dirty... A lot of people wouldn't go near that water. It's a shame because I really do like the idea but it probably wouldn't happen anytime soon unless the water quality is improved.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5669  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 12:22 PM
Flyers2001 Flyers2001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPenn18 View Post
Man that would be cool but frankly the Schuylkill is pretty dirty... A lot of people wouldn't go near that water. It's a shame because I really do like the idea but it probably wouldn't happen anytime soon unless the water quality is improved.
I don't think thats true. I think a lot of people would go if it was more accessible. There is no shortage of rowers. Besides the path, there is really nothing drawing people to the river. Many were hoping that Chop's new tower would have some sort of cafe. I think dinning along the river would be awesome (Besides Waterworks).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5670  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 3:02 PM
Flyers2001 Flyers2001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 859
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20..._question_marks_in_city_s_landscape.html

I find it hard to believe that there is no plan B for the old Inky building.

8th and Market i find it very realistic that there is no plan B. My suggestion would be entertainment, retail, Hotel/Condo's and very big.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5671  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 3:45 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ePlanningPhila View Post
Is it just me, but the few times I have been there outside of the holidays, the mall was dead. (Maybe this just reflects suburbia in general).
The day and time you are there makes a world of difference and on many weekends it can get pretty packed.
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today and it ain't civilized.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5672  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 4:50 PM
iamrobk iamrobk is offline
Future World Dictator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,799
I got to go inside the family court building the other day (fortunately just to observe!) and I'm kinda torn on it. It's pretty nice (nice enough, really) but each floor feels like an airport terminal. It's a weird vibe.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5673  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:25 PM
apetrella802 apetrella802 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
I don't think thats true. I think a lot of people would go if it was more accessible. There is no shortage of rowers. Besides the path, there is really nothing drawing people to the river. Many were hoping that Chop's new tower would have some sort of cafe. I think dinning along the river would be awesome (Besides Waterworks).

The river is far from dirty, you comments are uninformed, the para below is from a river tour I documented for the AIA Center for Architecture to be given in the Spring:
"For us today the Schuylkill River reflects successful efforts to restore a once polluted and dead river into one with 48 species of fish and supportive of many recreational activities . These efforts have restored in part the 19th c. Arcadian vision of the river we see in paintings of scullers by Thomas Eakins and the Romantic cluster of classically inspired buildings that comprise the Water Works. "
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5674  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 7:15 PM
Flyers2001 Flyers2001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
The river is far from dirty, you comments are uninformed, the para below is from a river tour I documented for the AIA Center for Architecture to be given in the Spring:
"For us today the Schuylkill River reflects successful efforts to restore a once polluted and dead river into one with 48 species of fish and supportive of many recreational activities . These efforts have restored in part the 19th c. Arcadian vision of the river we see in paintings of scullers by Thomas Eakins and the Romantic cluster of classically inspired buildings that comprise the Water Works. "
I think you meant to quote the other poster as I am in agreement that I don't think the river is dirty just that there is a lack of activity on the actual river.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5675  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 3:30 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,805
More on KOP for those interested, including the proposed SEPTA rail routes:

King of Prussia poised for burst of development

Amid the growth, King of Prussia is facing the reality that it must reinvent itself. The area is largely built out, a sprawl of big stores, parking lots, and not much room to expand.

The long-term future, officials hope, lies in a recently rezoned business park that will allow people to live near where they work, shop, and play - a development designed to feed young adults' appetites for urban-style convenience, where cars aren't necessary and home has a sense of community.

"I think that it is King of Prussia embracing its ultimate destiny as an edge city," said Matt Popek, a member of the Upper Merion Township Planning Commission.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20..._of_development.html#VlyxUfbfI4L2VzSG.99


King of Prussia Development Projects
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/283596991.html


SEPTA Narrows Down Possible King of Prussia Rail Routes
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/283155091.html#YH1ULFGhgGsQCdMS.99
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today and it ain't civilized.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5676  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 2:05 AM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
More on KOP for those interested, including the proposed SEPTA rail routes:

King of Prussia poised for burst of development

Amid the growth, King of Prussia is facing the reality that it must reinvent itself. The area is largely built out, a sprawl of big stores, parking lots, and not much room to expand.

The long-term future, officials hope, lies in a recently rezoned business park that will allow people to live near where they work, shop, and play - a development designed to feed young adults' appetites for urban-style convenience, where cars aren't necessary and home has a sense of community.

"I think that it is King of Prussia embracing its ultimate destiny as an edge city," said Matt Popek, a member of the Upper Merion Township Planning Commission.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20..._of_development.html#VlyxUfbfI4L2VzSG.99


King of Prussia Development Projects
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/283596991.html


SEPTA Narrows Down Possible King of Prussia Rail Routes
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/283155091.html#YH1ULFGhgGsQCdMS.99
I am certainly not opposed to this, but King of Prussia has quite a long way to go before it is an edge city where people live, work, shop, and play.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5677  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 3:43 AM
JustSomeGuyWho JustSomeGuyWho is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
The river is far from dirty, you comments are uninformed, the para below is from a river tour I documented for the AIA Center for Architecture to be given in the Spring:
"For us today the Schuylkill River reflects successful efforts to restore a once polluted and dead river into one with 48 species of fish and supportive of many recreational activities . These efforts have restored in part the 19th c. Arcadian vision of the river we see in paintings of scullers by Thomas Eakins and the Romantic cluster of classically inspired buildings that comprise the Water Works. "
... except for the occasional dead body

Seriously though, the river has come a long way. I don't remember any further back than the 70's but the difference between then and now is dramatic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5678  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 4:32 AM
Frontst17 Frontst17 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 304
Long time lurker here but this was a cool article on the topic from philly.com

http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/news/science/&id=281397261
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5679  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 2:13 PM
apetrella802 apetrella802 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 546
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
I think you meant to quote the other poster as I am in agreement that I don't think the river is dirty just that there is a lack of activity on the actual river.
sorry, you are correct, I meant to respond to the other poster
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5680  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 3:24 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Waverly Court expansion
13th and Waverly - Washington Square West
6 floor addition. Built atop surface parking lot.


http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/waverly-court-expansion-passes-muster-with-zba.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:37 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.