HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1741  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:10 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
I'm not familiar with the street it's proposed for. Is it a retail strip or is it more residential? Also what does Edmonton have that might be similar to Toronto's fee for builders that goes into local improvements? ie street-scaping, park creations, or public artwork as examples?
     
     
  #1742  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:17 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
I'll take these Vancouver developers over a number of local firms and just about anything international or with ties to Montreal (Canderel needs to go away!) . If you like Streetcar, Concord shouldn't bother you. Well designed but, shoddy and cheaply executed.
     
     
  #1743  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:44 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'll take these Vancouver developers over a number of local firms and just about anything international or with ties to Montreal (Canderel needs to go away!) . If you like Streetcar, Concord shouldn't bother you. Well designed but, shoddy and cheaply executed.
Streetcar has been building some great low-rise infill structures. They build to the context of their surroundings.


Here are a few examples
posted on the red pin http://www.theredpin.com/condos/streetcar-developments-inc


I have friends in this one and they love it.
http://www.f1nd.ca/en/4110/corktown-district-lofthouses-luxury-living-in-the-centre-of-it-all/


Here is 8 Gladstone built right up against the CN Line, unlike Concord Streetcar uses real brick and when putting a balcony on it's actually large enough to use.
picture by: streetcar.ca



I'm fortunate enough to live across from these two going up. Streetcar is building a community theatre in the Carlaw's podium. They didn't have to. Again, they're using real brick. you can't even compare the two developers.
This is the Taylor in the foreground, and the Carlaw in the background. Same developer 2 completely different style buildings to compliment the eclectic style of the neighborhood.




Let's not even talk about their next big projects, the Jilly's revival or Riverside Square where they could have built a few large towers taking up the entire block but have decided to make an urban square with smaller towers and low rise. One developer cares enough to make an effort to blend in and enhance where they construct, the other just does the bare minimum. In the broadview hotel they plan or restoring it fully and only using the back for a small scale condo. The main structure will be retail restaurant and art space.
     
     
  #1744  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:48 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
10 Mary Street
Located at the corner of Yonge and Mary streets.
42 floors image courtesy of the Toronto blog. com.
140.5m

Posted on www1.toronto.ca
     
     
  #1745  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 8:51 PM
ssiguy ssiguy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 11,994
As I understand, jasper House is downtown not on a side residential street like Oliver.

There is a place for everything but in the heart of the city it should include retail/commercial.

Adding people to the downtown is great but it is only half the equation. People adds crows but not neccesarily urbanity. You need complete streets and this type of podium is the anti-thesis of that.
     
     
  #1746  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 8:52 PM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
^ I don't think anyone is in disagreement about this, I'm not sure why it keeps getting restated over and over. Cold indicated that there is supposed to be retail included, but I don't see it in the renders either. Hopefully we will see it properly integrated before in the final design before construction starts. They may be required to if this goes through the Design Committee, which I believe it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I'm not familiar with the street it's proposed for. Is it a retail strip or is it more residential? Also what does Edmonton have that might be similar to Toronto's fee for builders that goes into local improvements? ie street-scaping, park creations, or public artwork as examples?
The street isn't much to speak of right now (it is unfortunately mostly parking lots right now), but sits in the recently-designated "Warehouse District" which the city wants to build up as a mixed-use neighbourhood of mostly residential with retail and some office space included where feasible.

I believe developers are required to include a public art component valued at 1% of the construction budget for the project.
     
     
  #1747  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 9:02 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
That's too bad, if it's not a side street there seems no reason why a bit of retail couldn't have been added to a small portion of the podium. It could have started a trend on it's street. You might want to try contacting the local council and voice your concern, opinion. You never know it just might work.
     
     
  #1748  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 9:54 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Edmonton is undergoing a categorical change right now. I understand but don't necessarily support the argument about "no complete streets". However, what I see from all of these surface parking lots, especially in Edmonton's position of high growth, is nothing but potential in all of those lots. Nothing to demolish, just propose a tower, sell enough units, and start construction. It will be a very, very different city in 5 years.
     
     
  #1749  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 10:19 PM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 12,377
Last night Kingston City Council approved a 14 story tower. It's immediately adjacent to the Cataraqui Town Centre mall in the suburbs, which is the city's largest indoor mall and one of two main transit hubs in the city, along with the downtown terminal. It was originally proposed at 18 stories, which would have made it Kingston's new tallest, but was chopped down to 14 stories after it was realized that it is too close to the flight paths in and out of Kingston Airport to be any taller than 14.
     
     
  #1750  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 11:02 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,149
RE: Jasper House - there will be retail guys.
     
     
  #1751  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 12:26 AM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Streetcar has been building some great low-rise infill structures. They build to the context of their surroundings.

Exactly. Streetcar is building medium rise infill. Concord built a high rise neighbourhood from scratch. To say Cityplace doesn't have context is to simply jump on the bandwagon by calling it St Jamestown South. This biggest problem with Cityplace isn't that they didn't hire quality architects and landscape designers. It's the execution and cheap finishing. The same is with Streetcar. Also, you don't think the art space won't be used as a community contribution to build additional densities in the area?
     
     
  #1752  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 1:07 AM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Exactly. Streetcar is building medium rise infill. Concord built a high rise neighbourhood from scratch. To say Cityplace doesn't have context is to simply jump on the bandwagon by calling it St Jamestown South. This biggest problem with Cityplace isn't that they didn't hire quality architects and landscape designers. It's the execution and cheap finishing. The same is with Streetcar. Also, you don't think the art space won't be used as a community contribution to build additional densities in the area?

Well I wish I was just jumping on the St James name calling bandwagon but Concord built form and quality speaks for itself. It's been the Centre of several stories showing what poor quality their Chi Pet village really is. The Canary District and River City both Toronto developers are doing a much much better job of creating a neighborhood from scratch. I'd also bet my savings that Riverside Square will be a better brand new community then either of Concords failed attempts in this city and it will be built by Streetcar which is great news.
     
     
  #1753  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 11:55 AM
Dylan Leblanc's Avatar
Dylan Leblanc Dylan Leblanc is offline
Website Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
10 Mary Street
Located at the corner of Yonge and Mary streets.
42 floors image courtesy of the Toronto blog. com.
140.5m

Posted on www1.toronto.ca
Possibly a vertical addition to an existing building? => https://maps.google.com/maps?q=10+mary+s...GK0or_OKQGdDb4pg&cbp=12,282.98,,0,-22.32
     
     
  #1754  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 1:23 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
Ouch. How awkward looking.
     
     
  #1755  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 2:34 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
The fruit salad approach isn't working for me either.
     
     
  #1756  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 2:37 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Well I wish I was just jumping on the St James name calling bandwagon but Concord built form and quality speaks for itself. It's been the Centre of several stories showing what poor quality their Chi Pet village really is. The Canary District and River City both Toronto developers are doing a much much better job of creating a neighborhood from scratch. I'd also bet my savings that Riverside Square will be a better brand new community then either of Concords failed attempts in this city and it will be built by Streetcar which is great news.
Toronto developers built Liberty Village, Avondale and the Fort York Neighbourhood, Port Royal Place, Essex, etc. It seems you prefer low to medium rise. I do too. That isn't really up for debate. If you think Streetcar stands for quality than, you seriously need to do more research.
     
     
  #1757  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 3:08 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Toronto developers built Liberty Village, Avondale and the Fort York Neighbourhood, Port Royal Place, Essex, etc. It seems you prefer low to medium rise. I do too. That isn't really up for debate. If you think Streetcar stands for quality than, you seriously need to do more research.

Sorry I don't need to do more research, perhaps it's you that does. Streetcar has won praise from Hume on numerous occasions. Have you been in a Streetcar property? You entirely missed my point about Cityplace anyway. Concord has won praise for their development in Vancouver and yet came here and have given us a sub-par development? Why? Yes I know that the city has no teeth like Vancouver when working with developers but that shouldn't have meant Concord should just come here build as many units and buildings as they want to and cut every corner they could. Yes Liberty Village is a mess and I wouldn't touch one of the developers there buildings except for maybe urbancorp.

If you think streetcar is low quality I suggest you do a little research yourself.
As per my point about Streetcar Developments. Just watch from about 2:50min on and listen to these brokers praise this developer over and over right up until the end.

• Video Link


BTW, I may be new to this board but I've been reading it for months now. I've noticed you to be one of the most negative and troll like members here.

Last edited by TorontoDrew; Nov 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM.
     
     
  #1758  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 3:12 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
Possibly a vertical addition to an existing building? => https://maps.google.com/maps?q=10+mary+s...GK0or_OKQGdDb4pg&cbp=12,282.98,,0,-22.32


I thought so as well but it's not. The city actually tried to get heritage status put on that building saying it was one of our earliest examples of international style in Toronto. They lost at the OMB. It does look like the developer is trying to recreate in design and scale what they will be tearing down. The thing I like about this proposal are the set backs that will allow light do get down to Yonge street better then just a vertical wall. I think we should wait for better renders before giving this a thumbs up or down though.
     
     
  #1759  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 3:32 PM
isaidso isaidso is offline
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Ouch. How awkward looking.
Stacked boxes can look quite smart, but agree that this one's a bit of a dog's breakfast.
     
     
  #1760  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 3:40 PM
isaidso isaidso is offline
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
This kind of podium is a chunk of the reason I have no love of Edmonton.

You go downtown and there are no complete streets. There is not one street where can grab a coffee and watch the world go by. There are restaurants and cafes but they are divided by parking lots, ugly concrete walls of office buildings, parkades, institutional building, or sterile banks. There is no continuity to the place.
Edmonton is a very young city and early on in its development. I've not been there, but it strikes me as a city that's rapidly moving in the right direction. All Canadian cities seem to be intensifying and following a similar path. Some are just far further along than others.

I'm far more interested in the steps cities are taking to urbanize than dwelling on their deficiencies. We all know what they are. Every city, including Toronto, is a work in progress.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:30 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.