Damn that has looked very modern at that time, I bet! The glass roof very new even today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller
If the sunken part of Robson Square was covered over to create an at-grade plaza (maybe creating a conference area below) you'd actually have a huge "Robson Square" straddling the street, and it would be a huge gathering place if programmed well.
No need to eliminate anything else or move buildings - that would create a large enough space and people would filt up the stramps to look down on concerts, etc.
You could even line it with food and retail kiosks.
|
I am with you if something needs to be changed. Even the current setup with all those rooftop gardens is fantastic (really, try it next summer!), but people are not finding it. Having a small square that would be at-grade would indeed serve Robson street life better at that corner than the current structure.
Demolishing this building would be a mistake and what would one added skyscraper bring to the city? Nothing. There are several places where tall skyscrapers could be built and it's just a matter of getting rid of one or two viewcones.
People complaining about the current building being only 7 floors should check out the streetscape along Howe Street. Yes, it is rather dead on that side, but the building is massive and certainly in the range of 12 floors. Together with 980 Howe they form a very urban corridor between Smithe and Nelson.
I cannot help it, but I like the Law Courts very much and I wish more people would discover it. There is nothing more nice than strolling the urban roof garden on a warm summer day.