I apologize for this long winded post, I have asked a few people I know at the City and none of them know (non work for Transit).
Does anyone in the know when and if Calgary Transit ever audits its routes or asks for public input.
This is sort of a rant about where I live, not from a Nimby POV (I hope) but more from a "I wonder 🞵🞵🞵 CT planners are thinking about" and why things arent allocated differently
I recently got married and have a baby with a few more planned so my 2 bedroom condo in Crescent Heights just wasnt going to cut it and neither was my wifes 1 bd in the beltline. My wife and I decided on Rivebend - we tried to justify 300K more for a noodle or duplex infil but just couldnt. We were hoping to find reasonably priced (6-750K) 3bdrm condo but as we all know housing like that doesnt exist in Calgary (ahh to live in an Amsterdam walkup)
I have to admit I didnt really research the transit options only assuming that since QP was up and coming to the south that transit must be ok. I didnt even consider the SELRT because my future kids will be graduating high school before that gets built - not blaming anyone, just because you bought a cheap house in the burbs with no transit doesnt mean you deserve fast service anytime soon especially if its costly and relatively unused especially with a flat fare structure (entitlement is a peculiar thing).
For those who dont know there are 4 bus routes dedicated to RB and LW.
1 - 75 is an express with 3->downtown in the AM departing between 630 and 705 and 2 in the afternoon->LW/RB
2 - 36 is a curcular route that goes from Chinook to Glenmore to south on 18th then around RB and on to LW then back to Chinook
3 - 41 is the same as the 36 but it goes to LW first then RB
4 - 136 is the same as the 36 just goes in opposite direction through RB and as such needs bus stops on the other side of the road.
Now looking at the raw numbers people should be flocking to RB/LW to get some of the citys best bus service (excluding the 75 for now). Anyone in Calgary would be jealous of the below (theortical) timings (other than the evening which is a different discussion)
The bus routing times are as follows:
530-900 = 36*9, 41*9, 136*9
=210min/27departures = 8 minute wait time at each bus stop
900-1500 = 36*12, 41*12
=360min/24departures = 15 minute wait at each bus stop
1500-1830 = 36*9, 41*8, 136*10
=210min/27 = 8 minute wait time at each bus stop
1830-midnight = 36*8
=330min/8 = 42min wait time at each stop

(but understandable)
My confusion with CT comes from the current bus routing and how it could be much more efficient because the Riverbend/Lynwood bus routing seems to have been designed to be the least efficient way of routing a bus and the least passenger friendly from any possible measure of useability. And while CT could be advertising 8-12 minute transit in RB/LW durring peak and increase revenues and ridership the current allocated routings make me wonder if this is perhaps one of the largest examples of modified Nimbyism in the city or just seeminly incompenant transit planners who seem to have forgotten this routing.
Now RB and LW arent exactly bastions of urban living (I think there might be a handfull of apartments in LW and none in RB). But the way they route the non express busses seem to be an exercise in telling people that you should just drive to Chinook mall CTRAIN instead of bus because its frkn terrible.
Now while I like to think I follow transit more than 95% of the other people in this City (less obviously than some on this forum), its very peculiar to me as to why the 3 routes even exist in the first place and why not just 1 to Chinook that leaves at regular intervals (I would throw the 75 in as I believe it unneeded and its capacity could be re added to a unified RB/LW route but there could be other operational reasons for it).
If CT wanted to be really efficient they could increase the 8min wait times durring peak to say 12 (oh dear god what would we do) and replace them with a few articulated busses thereby saving on driver costs. But in order to go that far into transit analysis we first need to fix the obvious problems.
I really hope this is just a one off and there arent more examples in this City of in-efficient transit planning - im almost afraid to check CT schedule map to see what else I could find.