Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillySteaks
I'd agree with you. Whenever an out of town company claims to be opening space they say Philadelphia, most likely just for effect, then they move to Wayne haha. I think it's uncanny how many companies, even people in the suburbs, when asked where they are from say Philadelphia when they are infact just outside the city limits. I can't tell you how many current Villanova students market they are are a philly school, and about 95% of them couldn't tell you the difference between Market East, Suburban, & 30th Street Stations.
At the same times tons of companies market jobs as the Philadelphia/Philadelphia Area and they end up spanning from Newtown to Newark DE. I remember years ago applying to a job that said Philadelphia and it ended up being in Wilmington....I quickly declined bc anything DE is gross. It's like New Jersey's red headed cousin. It's kind of devastating to see how much economic activity actually occurs just outside the city limits, how many young people reverse commute, and how a friendlier business environment could potentially attract these companies back in search of talent. Example, JP Morgan employees 10,000+ people literally right over the border into DE. A very significant portion of that workforce is made up of young people, and a large % of that group commutes 45min - 1hr every single day because they refuse to live in Delaware. It creates high turnover and low morale because you consistantly see young people getting fed up with the commutes. Unfortunately same ole same ole for philly politicos.
|
Funny, because lots of people living in the burbs of Wilmington, which has some very nice suburbs--North Wilmington, Hockessin, Greenville, etc etc.... commute to Philly for work, only to quickly flee to their green lawns and Delaware homes, and tax-free shopping. And they also think Jersey is nothing but god awful loudmouths, full of themselves-nothings, generally a-holes, whose Jersey Shore is a toxic dump - with stupid people; oh and Philly is scary and dangerous death trap.
Point I'm making - these lame stereotypes...? Every big city has a "metro" area. And yes, this metro area has smaller, neighboring cities, and towns, and jobs! And people! Get over it.