Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg
Cal Expo was a temporary/short term site for Republic FC, this is about a MLS team. I assume an MLS team would mean losing the USL Pro team?
sounds like the site they're discussing is the old Measure Q/R lot on the north end of the Railyards west of 7th Street. Not sure which light rail station they are referring to, the closest stops are Sac Valley clear across the tracks past the Shops and Township 9 on Richards. Adding an attraction like thst would justify a new station at 7th and Railyards, which I assumed they had planned for already as part of the Green Line.
|
The Railyards has always had a planned stop on the Green Line, but it wasn't put in because it wouldn't serve anyone currently. As for the site itself, that wouldn't be a bad choice, but another good site would be just large block just south of the water intake/treatment plant. An MLS stadium on the north side, UCD campus in the middle, and a new County Courthouse on the south side would sure make for quite the start to Railyards development.
That being said, I think that lot was designated for park space originally, so I'm sure the specific plan would have to be changed. Though with the 'boxcar' parks, central shops, and riverfront, there is already ample public space and the more urban development we get into the Railyards the better, IMO.