HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 7:05 PM

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...ds-hughes.html

This is the apartment complex that broke ground earlier this year at the Howard Hughes Center. Developer is Equity Residential, architect is TCA. Six stories, 545 apartments.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 8:45 PM

The first portion of the building would be nice if it was just by it self. Why do they always repeat the pattern all the way down... Change it up a bit TCA

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
The first portion of the building would be nice if it was just by it self. Why do they always repeat the pattern all the way down... Change it up a bit TCA
Yeah, it's a 60's urban renewal/Le Corbusier/Housing project in a bad way/with the top cut off. Aesthetically though, it's not the ugliest thing they've done, but they've got plenty of time to make it worse.

There's also a certain amount of irony calling this project "Altitude" when it's a low rise and has no aerospace design elements other than that globe.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 2:33 AM

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 2:03 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

That's definitely not the worst work TCA has put out.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 2:12 PM
Pacific Wonderland

...Until it gets value engineered.

(as it stands its not nearly as bad as their other work)

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Last edited by WonderlandPark; Aug 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 2:58 PM

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-0...815-story.html

No active quake fault is under Hollywood projects, state official says

Quote:
A state official Thursday agreed with developers who contend an active earthquake fault does not exist underneath several prominent Hollywood projects, including the site of the proposed Millennium Hollywood skyscrapers.

Stephen Testa, executive officer of the State Mining and Geology Board, said at a public hearing at the state Capitol that there appears to be "a lot of strong evidence" that the active fault is not present as indicated by the California Geological Survey's proposed zoning map.

"You know what you see, and there was no fault or faulting deposits in those trenches that were observed," said Testa, who visited the site when consultants hired by developers conducted a search for the fault.

Testa's conclusion, as well as more than 200 pages of public comments, now goes to state geologist John Parrish, who as head of the state geological survey has final say over how the map is drawn.

Parrish, however, said that the developers' consultant has not provided the technical data backing its conclusions. He said he was eager to review the data but will not make any decisions about changing the map until he receives it.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 10:55 PM
Pacific Wonderland

The TCA hole in Hollywood is halfway full of parking....lots of parking for a 6 story building IMO.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 12:41 AM

Gap coming to Broadway in Downtown LA...

Oops! Wrong thread!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 10:44 PM

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...ing-along.html

K2LA phase two update (two seven-story buildings, 347 units). Both of these buildings were once scheduled to open in late 2014. As their current appearance indicates, that's not going to happen.

On the bright side, the first building of the complex has turned out well (IMO).

Last edited by blackcat23; Aug 18, 2014 at 12:25 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 12:14 AM

Thanks for sharing the updated K2LA renderings! I'm not a huge fan of phase one, but they did do a solid landscaping job on the ground floor, so I'm expecting that to be carried over for the two new buildings. It's too bad we couldn't get any retail spaces to break up those walls though.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 1:28 PM

I'd also like to see some more retail on Koreatown's side streets. The hotel project on Catalina Street is supposed to have some ground level restaurant space, but that's on the north side of Wilshire.

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...od-office.html

Last week, J.H. Snyder pulled demolition permits for the two small buildings at 1601 Vine Street. After eight years, it looks like we'll finally see a groundbreaking in the next few months. Eight floors/130 ft, 112k sq ft office, 2,000 sq ft retail.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 10:59 PM

Looks like a couple new mixed use projects under study in Glendale. 176 unit mixed-user and 71 unit res-only. Looks like lots of parking, but until Metro can get its act together and put a light rail line through Glendale (currently on the LRTP strategic unfunded list), I'm not sure that's unreasonable.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 1:14 PM

Platform Culver City, as of earlier this week.

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...-shape-in.html

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 1:19 PM

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-w...820-story.html

L.A. Revives a Denser Vision for Woodland Hills' Warner Center

Quote:
The City Council has signed off on zoning that allows for up to 30 million square feet of commercial space in Warner Center, double the amount that currently exists. The plan also lifts building height limits governing most of the 1.5-square-mile district bounded by the 101 Freeway, Vanowen Street, DeSoto Avenue and Topanga Canyon Boulevard.

Officials are betting that the kind of dense, walkable communities thriving in downtown, Hollywood and other parts of Los Angeles can work 26 miles from the city center.

Quote:
One of the forces driving development is the Orange Line, Metro's busway that runs from North Hollywood to Chatsworth, with a stop in Warner Center. The Orange Line has been a success, exceeding ridership projections and prompting talks of converting it to light rail.

Over the last several years, Warner Center has seen a boom in residential development, and more is on the way. The Warner Center 2035 plan, the city's master plan, would boost the number of residential units from about 8,500 to more than 26,000, said Tom Glick, a city planner....

Among the projects planned is a $3-billion high-rise "urban neighborhood" at the 47-acre former Rocketdyne engine manufacturing plant on Canoga Avenue, across the street from the busway.

The mixed-use project would have up to 3.95 million square feet of residential space and 1.1 million square feet of office space. Preliminary plans also call for an assisted-living facility, restaurants, a hotel and a 5-acre central park.

This spring, construction crews broke ground on a $350-million open-air mall that will occupy 30 acres between Victory Boulevard and Erwin Street. The Village at Westfield Topanga will house a Costco and an array of restaurants and outdoor courtyards.

Other plans include a 621-unit mixed-use apartment complex on the former Catalina Yachts building site on Victory Boulevard, as well as 379 apartment units on the site of the old Daily News headquarters at Oxnard Street and Canoga Avenue.

A 395-unit apartment project at De Soto Avenue and Erwin Street is expected to open this year.

The Warner Center 2035 plan is designed to unify all these projects.

It divides the area into eight districts with names such as Downtown, Uptown and Commerce, each with its own development guidelines. The plan calls for the long city blocks to be broken up with new pedestrian pathways, new streets and more crosswalks. Developers will pay fees to fund many of the changes.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 6:20 PM

10000 Sta Mon - Pad being poured today!

First concrete pour this a.m.

I snapped some pics (they're about halfway done the pad) and if I can get my sh*t together, I'll post them up this evening.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitfiend View Post

I snapped some pics (they're about halfway done the pad) and if I can get my sh*t together, I'll post them up this evening.
Does that mean the crane is coming soon?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitfiend View Post

Nice! And so the (potential) Century City construction boom begins! Hopefully 2015 sees cranes for the new Westfield Tower and the (2) Century Plaza Hotel towers popping up in addition to 10100. Maybe even 1950 Ave of the Stars.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:43 AM

10000 Sta Mon - Construction Update with Pics!

As promised earlier:

This is from about 2 weeks ago, prepping the pilings.

Pilings prepped and plastic down.

I have no idea what these holes are for.

Overview, before the pour today.

Today, Wednesday morning, Aug 20, 2014

The cement trucks doing their thing

This was around noon today, halfway done

A little closer to the action

They finished the base pour by the end of the day, but I didn't catch the completion. Tomorrow.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 11:56 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations