HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6821  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 5:10 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Here's an example of the Van pricing for those curious

http://the-dime.ca/ ($4.95 menu is on the front page). I believe The Dime is part of a chain in Vancouver all with $5 menus.

I would agree that there are a lot more retail spaces in Vancouver, even in lower density areas like commericial drive
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6822  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 5:42 PM
DoubleK DoubleK is offline
Near Generational
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,447
^^^ Would that even fly in Calgary?

I could eat half that menu. Right now.

/drool
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6823  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 5:55 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
I'd be really curious to compare rents at the dime vs various locations in Calgary.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6824  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 5:58 PM
Full Mountain's Avatar
Full Mountain Full Mountain is offline
YIMBY
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Here's an example of the Van pricing for those curious

http://the-dime.ca/ ($4.95 menu is on the front page). I believe The Dime is part of a chain in Vancouver all with $5 menus.

I would agree that there are a lot more retail spaces in Vancouver, even in lower density areas like commericial drive
Keep in mind income levels in Calgary are higher than Vancouver, i.e. ability to pay is greater here.
__________________
Incremental Photo - @PhotogX_1

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6825  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 6:26 PM
fusili's Avatar
fusili fusili is offline
Retrofit Urbanist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I'd be really curious to compare rents at the dime vs various locations in Calgary.
I worked at various restaurants for several years (kitchen, server, bartender, manager) and I will tell you this- the number one cost to keep control of is labour. When the restaurant is empty, you are bleeding money like there is no tomorrow, and when it is full you are raking in cash. Food costs are almost nothing (depending on the dish of course meat is expensive, veggies are usually cheap). An outfit like the dime could thrive in a high-rent environment, if it is busy enough. It just needs really high volume so the profits on the food can outweigh the labour (and other overhead) costs.
__________________
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6826  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 6:50 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I worked at various restaurants for several years (kitchen, server, bartender, manager) and I will tell you this- the number one cost to keep control of is labour. When the restaurant is empty, you are bleeding money like there is no tomorrow, and when it is full you are raking in cash. Food costs are almost nothing (depending on the dish of course meat is expensive, veggies are usually cheap). An outfit like the dime could thrive in a high-rent environment, if it is busy enough. It just needs really high volume so the profits on the food can outweigh the labour (and other overhead) costs.
Well it had people in it until after 1am every night of the week, including a Wed and a Sunday night, it was one of the few places on Commercial like that. I'm sure the $5 food and $3.50 cans of Lucky helped
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6827  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 8:09 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,906
How about we talk about Calgary restaurants here.

Thanks.

We had "Sunday supper" at Boxwood last night. Very good- leg of lamb with lots of side, and we brought our own wine as Sunday corkage is FREE. Very reasonable- $30p/p for three courses, lots of food, amazing ambience.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6828  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 10:38 PM
oakster oakster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12
Canmore news

Couple of bits of news from out here in the mountains...

Quite possibly the only business in the world to have it's two locations in the sleepy Gloucestershire, UK town of Cirencester & lovely Canmore, Alberta respectively.

http://ravecoffee.ca/

Coffee roasters in the old Railway Deli location opposite the A&W as you drive into town from the highway.

The amazing Le Fournil Bakery which was devastated by the floods last June is due to re-open soon - a couple of blocks down Bow Valley Trail from Rave Coffee. In a couple of fell swoops the foodie options for the Canmore yokel & the visiting vacationer/weekender just got immeasurably better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6829  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 11:44 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,906
I thought Le Fournil was gone for good- amazing news about it and the new coffee place!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6830  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 3:19 AM
WaitWhat?'s Avatar
WaitWhat? WaitWhat? is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I noticed today there are permanent closure signs on the restaurants in the podium of Centennial. That didn't take very long.
I work in this building and can tell you I am shocked they lasted this long. It's already a terrible location, IMO, and you can't vault the location hurdle with bland food and subpar service.
__________________
Wait...what?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6831  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 4:16 PM
horrorshow horrorshow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
I thought Le Fournil was gone for good- amazing news about it and the new coffee place!
Great news! This place is awesome.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6832  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 4:47 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,906
New Mexican place has opened in Chinatown! La Tia, 128 2 Ave SE. FB page: https://www.facebook.com/LATIAMEXICANCUISINE
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6833  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:13 PM
flamesfan101 flamesfan101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 83
The Redwater Grill in Bow Valley Square is becoming Township Bar and Grill. Demolition is underway and it is expected to open in September
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6834  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 6:49 PM
Jimby's Avatar
Jimby Jimby is offline
not a NIMBY
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,796
Ed McNally founder of Big Rock has died. R.I.P.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6835  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 7:33 PM
Jimby's Avatar
Jimby Jimby is offline
not a NIMBY
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,796
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6836  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 7:57 PM
Allan83 Allan83 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,410
I don't think so. The Charcut team has so many things on the go, including the new restaurant in the Simmons building, that they probably felt a bit overextended. And I think the Fries and Dolls truck was always just a hobby for them. I do think the trucks in general should drop their prices by a dollar or two, however. I think there's a lot of good food there, but I think most of it is a bit overpriced, and as a result I don't eat it much anymore. I had a very good Korean sub the other day, for example, but at $9.50 I won't be having another one very soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6837  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 8:28 PM
Jimby's Avatar
Jimby Jimby is offline
not a NIMBY
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83 View Post
I don't think so. The Charcut team has so many things on the go, including the new restaurant in the Simmons building, that they probably felt a bit overextended. And I think the Fries and Dolls truck was always just a hobby for them. I do think the trucks in general should drop their prices by a dollar or two, however. I think there's a lot of good food there, but I think most of it is a bit overpriced, and as a result I don't eat it much anymore. I had a very good Korean sub the other day, for example, but at $9.50 I won't be having another one very soon.
Right. Restaurant prices without the tables, chairs, bathrooms, service, cutlery and so on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6838  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 8:49 PM
Allan83 Allan83 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Right. Restaurant prices without the tables, chairs, bathrooms, service, cutlery and so on.
Exactly that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6839  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 9:41 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,633
Maybe restaurant prices 10 years ago... I am regularly surprised at what food costs even in pubs where copious beer consumption should be covering off some of the profit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6840  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 10:45 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,906
I had one of the best burgers of my life today and absolutely the best I've ever had in Calgary at Dragon's Lair Burger Co. in the Westbrook Mall food court. No words.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.