Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton
I have no hope for the LCBO to do anything positive here. ...the management thinks it's still 1999 in downtown Hamilton and the — they offer us is all we think we deserve.
|
I guess talking about income and class is a taboo in Hamilton, so I'll wade into this somewhat carefully.
When we moved here, the first thing I noticed was The Jackson Square LCBO as being the nearest outlet for the people who loiter in front of the Square all day. The selection was/is —, but who's buying good wine and craft beer at King and James? Yes, there's a tiny Vintages section, but likely meant for the guests at the nearby hotel and some office workers.
The only thing that's changed when the store relocated was that the drunks now have too far to walk into the mall, and the ones that have been banned from the mall can't sneak in.
Was Hamilton more vital in 1999? Less homeless people, less drunks, less addicts in the downtown core? The JS store's management sees no reason to cater to a clientele and to be responsive to anything. They don't care. Contrast that with the management at the Dundurn and the Fennell/U. James locations.
A glimmer of hope for an improved LCBO store in the core is the new wave of residential developments. Increased density, more disposable income. People buying new condos, etc. will want a bigger and better selection at the LCBO and will likely make that point loud and clear.
I hope the store moves out of Jackson Square entirely, or relocates to where that defunct fitness centre used to be, facing York St. The Market and an LCBO store fit like hand and glove.