HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6781  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 8:44 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by simster3 View Post
Speaking of steaks, where is the best place in the city? My in-laws are in town from France and want a good steak before they leave on Wednesday.
I think Charcut is supposed to be the best. Open Range is a good suggestion though, had an Elk Steak last time I was there, really good!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6782  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 9:04 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,906
Charcut isn't a steak house. Meat yes, but there might be one "steak" on the menu.

Calgary is — for steakhouses. Until Hy's reopens you're left with dinosaurs like Caesars or you have to head out to suburban strip malls so your relatives will talk about how horrid Calgary was where they had to drive all over town for dinner.

Open Range is great but nowhere near the best resto in the city.

Go to a good resto like Mercato or River Cafe that will always have an amazing steak on the menu and explain to them that if they want a nice steak HOUSE they should head to Toronto or Montreal. We no more have the best steaks since we grow cattle here than does Saskatchewan have the best pasta because they grow the wheat.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6783  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 9:21 PM
simster3 simster3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 286
I was considering The Lake House. Any good? Suburban doesn't bother me too much to show them. River Cafe was one we were thinking about. It doesn't have to be a steakhouse per se just a good steak. I had taken them to Open Range before and they liked it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6784  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 9:40 PM
horrorshow horrorshow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by simster3 View Post
I was considering The Lake House. Any good? Suburban doesn't bother me too much to show them. River Cafe was one we were thinking about. It doesn't have to be a steakhouse per se just a good steak. I had taken them to Open Range before and they liked it.
The best steaks I had were at TRIB and Vintage.

LaVilla is supposed to have a really good steak too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6785  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 9:46 PM
fusili's Avatar
fusili fusili is offline
Retrofit Urbanist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,692
Agree with Rusty. Some of the best steak I have had in this city is Mercato.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6786  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 9:55 PM
artvandelay's Avatar
artvandelay artvandelay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The City of Cows
Posts: 1,670
Steaks:

1. Caesar's (Willow Park Location is preferable)
2. Vintage

Not much else to speak of.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6787  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 10:06 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,233
I really enjoyed Vintage when I was there last. Saltlik was decent as well, nothing to get excited about though.

The best steaks I have are the ones I cook myself lol.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6788  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 10:16 PM
bigcanuck bigcanuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,278
Another steak recommendation for Mercato. Love it there (had it at both locations so take your pick).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6789  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 11:57 PM
Spring2008 Spring2008 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lower Mount Royal, Calgary
Posts: 5,147
On the flip side, it's pretty hard to get a — steak in town from most decent restaurant/bars. The worst I've had was to get them to re-make cause they over cooked.

Anju on 17th looks like they're about to open any day. Really looking forward to trying it. Lots of hype around this one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6790  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:04 AM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Anju on 17th looks like they're about to open any day. Really looking forward to trying it. Lots of hype around this one.
The 13th according to their FB page- it sure looked ready to open when we walked by yesterday!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6791  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 8:25 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by simster3 View Post
Speaking of steaks, where is the best place in the city? My in-laws are in town from France and want a good steak before they leave on Wednesday.
A little pricey, but Vintage is pretty good.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6792  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:15 AM
Vascilli Vascilli is offline
Hare Expert
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Calgary, Toronto
Posts: 1,053
I feel like you guys of all the place I go online would know best: Where are the best cafes and whatnot to get pastries and stuff in the downtown core? I go to Bagelinos a few times a week to get my fix, and I'm wondering if there are other places. A fresh-baked croissant...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6793  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 3:47 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
I feel like you guys of all the place I go online would know best: Where are the best cafes and whatnot to get pastries and stuff in the downtown core? I go to Bagelinos a few times a week to get my fix, and I'm wondering if there are other places. A fresh-baked croissant...
Can't remember the name of the place, but there's a pretty good bakery/coffee shop in The Bow on the +15 level.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6794  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 3:51 PM
horrorshow horrorshow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
On the flip side, it's pretty hard to get a — steak in town from most decent restaurant/bars. The worst I've had was to get them to re-make cause they over cooked.

Anju on 17th looks like they're about to open any day. Really looking forward to trying it. Lots of hype around this one.
I really loved their old building even if it was in a secluded locations. HOWEVER, this restaurant is amazing and hopefully they live up to all the hype they're now receiving.

Get the oxtail tortellini and KFC if you have not been before. Hopefully they are still on the menu.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6795  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:18 PM
simster3 simster3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 286
We ended up at Le Villa West. It was pretty great, I would highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6796  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:33 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
I feel like you guys of all the place I go online would know best: Where are the best cafes and whatnot to get pastries and stuff in the downtown core? I go to Bagelinos a few times a week to get my fix, and I'm wondering if there are other places. A fresh-baked croissant...
Bagelino's has croissants? I haven't been there in years but just remember elephantine underbaked NY style bagels like Canadian Bagel makes.

Good coffeehouses usually have good baked goods, so try any of the Caffe Artigiano locations, Cucina, Caffe Rosso, or DeVille. There's also a Taiwanese desert place in the Calgary Place apartments, 8 St and 6 Ave SW (8 St side) that has an interesting assortment of things- A Wish Bakery I think it's called. There are lots of bakeries in Chinatown but none with seating and this one is close to your Bagelino.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6797  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:39 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Can't remember the name of the place, but there's a pretty good bakery/coffee shop in The Bow on the +15 level.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1783379/restaurant/Stephen-Avenue/Patisserie-du-Soleil-Calgary

Looks exactly like what Vascilli's asking for!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6798  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 5:26 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
That's the place. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6799  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 5:28 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Noticed that RedWater Grill in BVS is completely boarded up. Going to be rebranded as a new place but the name escapes me. Something to do with Beef and Barley.

Find this kind of strange as RedWater wasn't that old and it appeared to do pretty good business.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6800  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:16 PM
bigcanuck bigcanuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post

There's also a Taiwanese desert place in the Calgary Place apartments, 8 St and 6 Ave SW (8 St side) that has an interesting assortment of things- A Wish Bakery I think it's called.
A second location of A Wish just opened up on the +15 on the corner of 5th Ave and 5th Street SW - right beside the physio clinic.

Link to website
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:40 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.