HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1421  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 1:45 PM
ichigo ichigo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 75
I think as of last week (or maybe even couple of weeks ago) people were moving in already. I saw cars parked by the entrance unloading their belongings (look like students and their parents), which seems crazy considering the building is not even done yet.
     
     
  #1422  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 5:04 PM
wondertwinalpha wondertwinalpha is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo View Post
I think as of last week (or maybe even couple of weeks ago) people were moving in already. I saw cars parked by the entrance unloading their belongings (look like students and their parents), which seems crazy considering the building is not even done yet.
I saw the same thing. I was surprised, but it looked like parents moving their kids into the building.
     
     
  #1423  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 5:57 PM
Baconboy007 Baconboy007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertwinalpha View Post
I saw the same thing. I was surprised, but it looked like parents moving their kids into the building.
Man, my dorm was an old mental hospital converted in roach motel/no AC having tower of heat down south. Must be nice
     
     
  #1424  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 6:37 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
Man, my dorm was an old mental hospital converted in roach motel/no AC having tower of heat down south. Must be nice
Keep in mind that these are graduate and professional students (e.g., law and medical students), or even young professionals already out of school, and NOT undergrads (not allowed to rent in Evo). So don't feel too badly about it.
     
     
  #1425  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 6:54 PM
Kfmcshan Kfmcshan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 135
I'm hoping they cover the concrete support columns with some living greenery that flows right into the green park on top of the parking garage. However, from the renderings it looks like it will be covered with glass or be left as is (different renderings show it differently). I really hope they do not leave it as it is now.

Has anyone heard about plans for the supports?
     
     
  #1426  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 5:39 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Getting close. Probably about a month left of construction.













     
     
  #1427  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 11:41 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,289
So it doesn't look like they'll be sheathing the columns at the base with any kind of metal cladding, which is a bit of a shame. I'm all about expressing structure, but the finish of the concrete leaves a lot to be desired for something at eye level like that.
     
     
  #1428  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 4:35 AM
wpipkins2 wpipkins2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
So it doesn't look like they'll be sheathing the columns at the base with any kind of metal cladding, which is a bit of a shame. I'm all about expressing structure, but the finish of the concrete leaves a lot to be desired for something at eye level like that.
I like it. its just a touch of brutal
     
     
  #1429  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 4:37 AM
wpipkins2 wpipkins2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 423
I love the sleek glass surounding the 30th street station.
     
     
  #1430  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 4:59 PM
mPhilly mPhilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 119
Are we sure about the columns? I think they need a quick, easy and cheap wrap. Otherwise the building is perfect.
     
     
  #1431  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 6:16 PM
Ch.G, Ch.G's Avatar
Ch.G, Ch.G Ch.G, Ch.G is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,128
I love the columns like that. I love the way the whole thing meets the street, and the way it references the Cesar Pelli building without aping it. In fact, I'm I'd never heard of this architect before, but I did a quick search and they've done some pretty dope stuff. This particular design looks a bit like something you'd see from Morphosis.

Anyway, it's awesome to see Philadelphia develop another node in its skyline, which, though quite nice, has never really said "Top 10 Most Populated American City" the way one might expect. Moreover, it happened on an empty, awkward site.

I don't know much about the project, but it appears to be part of a master plan for that area, one that includes two more high-rises (as far as I can tell, anyway). Is that right? If so, is there a timetable for the other two? ETA: Found my answer.

Last edited by Ch.G, Ch.G; Aug 10, 2014 at 6:28 PM.
     
     
  #1432  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 7:25 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo View Post
I think as of last week (or maybe even couple of weeks ago) people were moving in already. I saw cars parked by the entrance unloading their belongings (look like students and their parents), which seems crazy considering the building is not even done yet.
I walked by yesterday. Signs say it's open for lease. It's looking good. I wonder if it will be very loud living there as construction completes. And FMC goes up. And if the trains themselves will be an annoyance...But it's definitely looking good. As is the parking lot. There are signs of completion there and that the "greening process" will soon begin.
     
     
  #1433  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 7:29 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
So it doesn't look like they'll be sheathing the columns at the base with any kind of metal cladding, which is a bit of a shame. I'm all about expressing structure, but the finish of the concrete leaves a lot to be desired for something at eye level like that.
What makes you think so? It's an easy finishing touch. I don't see why we'd expect them to have done it already if it is, in fact, part of the plan.
     
     
  #1434  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 10:43 PM
Jawnadelphia's Avatar
Jawnadelphia Jawnadelphia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 2,907
[IMG]IMG_0943 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

They really do play off each other very nicely.
     
     
  #1435  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 2:28 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Evo in the center

     
     
  #1436  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 2:45 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Update from Lincolndrive





https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly
     
     
  #1437  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 3:44 AM
threecount threecount is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Havertown, PA
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I walked by yesterday. Signs say it's open for lease. It's looking good. I wonder if it will be very loud living there as construction completes. And FMC goes up. And if the trains themselves will be an annoyance...But it's definitely looking good. As is the parking lot. There are signs of completion there and that the "greening process" will soon begin.
I went to the top of the garage yesterday(11th floor) as I park in there for work every day...it's still looks a long way off from completion.
     
     
  #1438  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 4:08 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Freaking awesome shot from Flyers2001

     
     
  #1439  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 4:24 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
     
     
  #1440  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 2:26 PM
Jawnadelphia's Avatar
Jawnadelphia Jawnadelphia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 2,907
If someone could outline or photoshop in what FMC tower will look like from that Flyers2001 pic above ...would be awesome...
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:38 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.