Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk
That is among the more ridiculous things you have ever said. How would Centre Street being even more indispensable as a surface street than it already is accomplish that? The public at large are not going to buy into this eccentric ethos of yours.
The end point is the same in all scenarios that involve a badly compromised Centre Street LRT. Some clown will promise a subway that is never funded or built.
|
Sigh. I find it increasingly amusing that you actually believe yourself to have an understanding of how a land-use, transportation system works. Similarly how resolute you are in defending positions that you build on others' behalf.
I've purposely not stated that I believe it should be at grade along centre street. You made that contention for me. For the record, I believe if it isn't grade separated at least until some point past 16th ave and predominantly within at least a class B ROW thereafter, it won't provide the level of service that it really should. However, that being said, what other posters have stated remains largely true. From a service provision perspective, the difference between a prioritized bus and light rail vehicle is largely a capacity increase and that alone justifies it.
If you would like to continue to pretend to understand the technological differences between all the modes, go ahead and keep arguing.
But more to the point, if you quite simply can't get the land-use - transportation interaction, feel free to admit it. I already know you don't, and you just raise some other points to redirect the discussion. Case in point:
Quote:
|
It shouldn't be difficult to answer, traffic patterns before and after the construction of these roads is fairly well understood.
|
You care to elaborate or substantiate that? I mean, you understand it right - to be making such a bold claim. I'll save you the trouble. You're wrong. Full stop. Or are MIT, ETH, Berkeley, UofT, Delft, U of Minnesota, etc etc, unaware or your knowledge?
Quote:
|
To what exactly? That the Calgary of your fantasies is somehow either real or attainable?
|
But this is really the kicker. You stated that had we built more freeways, a Centre St alignment (let's just say surface going for simplicity) would be more viable. I stated the opposite is likely true. (The likely is openness to outliers, but if you're (and I'm quite serious) open to how one gets to that conclusion if you'd actually like to genuinely ask, I'll genuinely explain.) To which your reply was something along the lines of Calgary was not considering that at the time - something I hadn't stated or makes what I did state any less true. So nice work there. I also didn't state the public NOW would be accepting of it. So why do write as though I did? I never said they would, and it yet again doesn't make what I originally did state less true.
Quote:
|
Because it just worked so incredibly well before the interchanges and overpasses were built. Gridlock isn't efficient, it also doesn't necessarily lead people to the "path of the righteous" as you might perceive it.
|
I recently read a report about the impending gridlock that was to befall Canmore (ca. 1995) were they not to do anything about it. They didn't do anything about it. Gridlock there right?
Gridlock is very efficient if a transit vehicle zooms right on by it all and you aim to get people to patronize it. It's also very efficient if your only objective isn't to move vehicles.
Like said, I know you don't and probably never will understand the complexities involved. No one truly does, hence some of the most complex models you'll ever come across. That's not to say it isn't understood generally.