HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9021  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 6:00 PM
Private D Private D is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D.C.
Posts: 3,058
^ Architects can certainly design something like that, we just can't realistically build something like that anymore without it looking terribly cheap, given the low-quality of materials that would likely have to be used.

We do not have artisan laborers anymore. Quality of that level would not come cheap these days -- the cost would be astronomical when you added it all up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9022  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 6:26 PM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh n’ at
Posts: 15,998
I know the materials cost too much but architects and developers can still make things that are at least cohesive and symmetrical.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9023  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 9:09 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is offline
Eurosceptic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,141
http://triblive.com/news/editorspicks/6451106-74/downtown-pittsburgh-tower#axzz37ukzKj13

Quote:
Downtown residents, developers enjoy romance with rooftops


Keith Hodan | TRIB TOTAL MEDIA
Developer Todd Palacic points out landmarks from the eighth-floor deck area of the Lando Lofts, Downtown, Thursday, July 17, 2014.



Keith Hodan | TRIB TOTAL MEDIA
Lifeguard Angela Barringer talks with a resident at the Stanwix Tower Apartments, Downtown, Thursday, July 17, 2014.


By Aaron Aupperlee
Friday, July 18, 2014, 10:37 p.m.
Updated 17 hours ago


From atop the Lando Building at Penn Avenue and Ninth Street, Todd Palacic can see PNC Park, kayaks on the Allegheny River, construction work on The Tower at PNC Plaza and glimpses of the shimmering glass of PPG Place.

Palacic, who is developing the seven-story structure into 27 apartments and building a deck on its roof, foresees tenants throwing parties, watching fireworks and lounging amid Pittsburgh's skyline.

“People who live Downtown want to show off, and a deck allows them to show off,” Palacic, a developer at Penn Avenue Renaissance, said as he leaned over the deck railing to look out over the river. “A lot of first kisses will happen up here on this deck. I guarantee it.”

As more people move Downtown — the population jumped 10.5 percent in the past three years, reaching more than 7,500, according to the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership — residents are claiming rooftops as social spaces to dine, drink, relax and take in sights. Restaurants have opened rooftop bars and seating areas. Nearly 10 apartment complexes boast roof patios and lounges, and new developments almost all have rooftop plans.

“It's just a continuation of the evolution of Downtown,” said Jeremy Waldrup, president and CEO of the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership, whose members include many of Downtown's largest property managers, banks, hotels, developers and nonprofits. “You have folks who want to be outside. They want to enjoy views that you're not going to see sitting in between four walls.”

...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9024  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 3:26 AM
East Edge's Avatar
East Edge East Edge is offline
World Class City
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Again, I'm all for different colors and textures. However, when you combine a variety of colors and textures with cheap materials... the result is almost always something that seems very out of place in a true urban environment to me... like something that better belongs in one of those new "walkable" suburban shopping center developments. I'm expecting these:

to have a megaplex movie theater across the street echoing the garish colors and patterns.

If this:

was the actual built result, then no problem at all.

However, architects need to practice with the solid understanding of budget constraints and context (I agree fully with what Evergrey said regarding context in the neighborhood) and realize that their attempts at creativity will most likely end up looking like —, given the materials that will actually be used. Designing something great within those financial and contextual constraints is what good architecture should be about in developments like these.
Yeah this blows...very amateur finish selecting. I applaud them wanting to do something vibrant and different but really?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9025  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 6:15 PM
Minivan Werner Minivan Werner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 498
It looks like something you'd see in Sao Paulo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9026  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 11:14 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Interesting article about the plans for revitalizing Smithfield and Wood, in part to capture spillover from Market Square (which does not have enough space to accommodate all the ground-floor establishments that would like to locate there):

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2014/07/21/Planners-developers/stories/201407200210

As I noted in the comments, it is too bad Mellon Square has such a "look but don't touch" quality to it. In fact, I'd love to just walk through it sometimes on the way to or from my bus stop, but even that is difficult with the way it is laid out. And it looks to me like it is in fact underutilized, particularly in comparison to the revamped Market Square.

So my thinking is that it would be great if it was designated as an official food truck zone, which could transform it into a destination at least during lunch (and maybe some late evenings and weekends as well). To really make that work, I'd love to see the closure of much of the adjacent block of Oliver each midday. Combine trucks along there with maybe some more around the corner on William Penn Place, and I think you could have something really cool. And as noted, I think you could also look to do that on some evenings and weekends as well, particularly if Smithfield starts to take off as planned. And in fact it could even become a later-evening hot spot if done well.

Interestingly, this picture almost graphically demonstrates the concept:



You can actually see the people spilling out from the food trucks on William Penn Place--I think that was likely taken during the rededication ceremony, but I believe that should be a daily occurrence, and expanded if possible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9027  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 12:26 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPittsburgh View Post
Aside: It appears on the Bakery Square Cam http://bakerysquare.no-ip.biz:8080/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=355 and in person that only half of the office building is being constructed in a half and half way. This seems a little peculiar, or were the plans changed from what we saw earlier?
The other half is starting to go up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9028  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 1:17 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is offline
Eurosceptic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,141
While there obviously are a lot of interesting developments underway in the vicinity of Mellon Square... it's absurd to think that the revitalized Mellon Sq will have a catalytic impact the way the revitalized Market Square has. Market Sq is a masterpiece of urban design... having roots in its layout that go back hundreds of years. Market Sq is fully integrated with the urban fabric... engaging pedestrians and breaking down the walls between indoor space and outdoor space.

Mellon Sq is your typical modernist 'museum' that is cold to humans. While I welcome the investment in its refreshment... and have enjoyed a relaxing sit on one of the peripheral benches... Mellon Sq is fortified from its surrounding urban fabric and due to its layout... cannot host any type of programming. It is a redoubt of quiet reflection... and due to elevation... is especially segregated from Smithfield St. A passerby could walk down Smithfield and have no indication of Mellon Sq's existence above.

Also... I find it interesting that Herky Pollock skewers PNC for "missing an opportunity" for not incorporating retail into its new HQ tower... yet McKnight Realty's Saks 'redevelopment'... described in the article as a parking garage... is the biggest 'missed opportunity' of all. But Herky's involved in that project...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9029  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 1:28 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Eyeball report: they are starting to put in the bridges over the Busway at the ELTC.

On Mellon Square/Saks-site: I agree Mellon Square is never going to rival Market Square because of the poor design, but I do think it probably added value to the neighboring properties anyway, and I also think it could become a lot more useful with something like the food truck plan I sketched out.

I think the point about the Saks site development is that it will have ground floor retail, but I think the key to that being a reasonable development is the apartment tower on top they have supposedly agreed to doing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9030  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 1:33 PM
Private D Private D is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D.C.
Posts: 3,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
It looks like something you'd see in Sao Paulo.
Actually, Pittsburgh would be very lucky to get a new building of the type you'd see in Sao Paulo.

This is more like something you'd see in Des Moines or Dayton or Louisville or Omaha or... anywhere else in the Midwest in an sad attempt to add a splash of colorful, coastal edginess...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9031  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 1:36 PM
Private D Private D is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D.C.
Posts: 3,058
I like that Mellon Square is an oasis detached from the street, otherwise it would be Market Square with lots of dirty water.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9032  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:05 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is offline
Eurosceptic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
I like that Mellon Square is an oasis detached from the street, otherwise it would be Market Square with lots of dirty water.
I am not condemning Mellon Square... I just think to postulate that Mellon could have the same impact on surrounding retail as Market Square has had... is absurd. They are very different.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9033  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:25 PM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh n’ at
Posts: 15,998
Mellon Square is not very inviting, its someplace you go to once and only stay for like 5 minutues. I think that spot would be better suited for a residential tower or some other development personally. I didnt even know the park was up there for the first couple months I lived here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9034  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:51 PM
Private D Private D is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D.C.
Posts: 3,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I am not condemning Mellon Square... I just think to postulate that Mellon could have the same impact on surrounding retail as Market Square has had... is absurd. They are very different.
Yeah, I know. My comment wasn't in reply to your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Mellon Square is not very inviting, its someplace you go to once and only stay for like 5 minutues. I think that spot would be better suited for a residential tower or some other development personally. I didnt even know the park was up there for the first couple months I lived here.
I actually find it incredibly inviting... and it contains arguably the most urban views to be had within the Golden Triangle. All downtown areas need quiet spots tucked amid the bustle... and often offer perspectives on the city most people will never happen upon. Some of the greatest parts of Manhattan, Chicago, DC, San Francisco, and Boston are those "hidden" spots that aren't apparent to the downtown "tourist"... places that are often only appreciated by those who spend significant time downtown.

If you only go once and stay for only 5 minutes, then that's not a problem with the park... that's ADHD. And not knowing the park was there makes it that much better of a discovery. The "not knowing something was there" is one of the true joys of discovering a city, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9035  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 3:00 PM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,488
Although I agree that Mellon Park is a 1950s concoction, you.can count me as a fan. It's a wonderful park on a summer day; sit on the edge, watch people laugh, eat lunch interact. A definite asset for that area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9036  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 3:01 PM
gallacus gallacus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Yeah, I know. My comment wasn't in reply to your thoughts.



I actually find it incredibly inviting... and it contains arguably the most urban views to be had within the Golden Triangle. All downtown areas need quiet spots tucked amid the bustle... and often offer perspectives on the city most people will never happen upon. Some of the greatest parts of Manhattan, Chicago, DC, San Francisco, and Boston are those "hidden" spots that aren't apparent to the downtown "tourist"... places that are often only appreciated by those who spend significant time downtown.

If you only go once and stay for only 5 minutes, then that's not a problem with the park... that's ADHD. And not knowing the park was there makes it that much better of a discovery. The "not knowing something was there" is one of the true joys of discovering a city, in my opinion.
Couldn't agree more.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9037  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 3:21 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
While I also think sometimes quieter, semi-hidden spaces have a place in urban environments, we are talking here about an entire block. Moreover, all the other open spaces nearby (most notably Mellon Green, Steel Plaza, and Crosstown Park) are also lacking in the same ways (ironically, Steel Plaza, a typically awkward highrise-adjacent plaza of its era, is still probably the best of all these).

But obviously Mellon Square is not going to be re-designed any time in the near future regardless of what anyone thinks. So I do think the focus should be on figuring out how to make it a bit more useful.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9038  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 3:57 PM
Private D Private D is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D.C.
Posts: 3,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
While I also think sometimes quieter, semi-hidden spaces have a place in urban environments, we are talking here about an entire block. Moreover, all the other open spaces nearby (most notably Mellon Green, Steel Plaza, and Crosstown Park) are also lacking in the same ways (ironically, Steel Plaza, a typically awkward highrise-adjacent plaza of its era, is still probably the best of all these).

But obviously Mellon Square is not going to be re-designed any time in the near future regardless of what anyone thinks. So I do think the focus should be on figuring out how to make it a bit more useful.
I can't consider those other examples to be in nearly the same league as Mellon Square though. Crosstown "Park" is basically just a sunken, landscaped area between highways on the very edge of downtown... a place to walk through to get from the parking lots on the hill to downtown. And Mellon Green just feels like an afterthought (which I think it actually is)... a green area to pass through... not inviting at all. It's a corporate park and definitely exudes that feel to me. Feels like Houston. I think it is a terrible waste of space on Grant St., and is probably only there until Mellon develops it or sells it off for development... which would be a good thing.

Steel Plaza is inviting and well-used because of its limited, but existing, disconnection from the street, available seating, and large fountain. For a high-rise plaza, it functions well -- offers a "safe" respite from traffic, but still feels like its in the center of the action. I like it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9039  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 4:21 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Yeah, I wasn't trying to suggest Mellon Square is as bad as Mellon Green or Crosstown Park. I was just noting that side of Downtown lacks a good public square.

I do disagree a bit on Steel Plaza--I think it can be said to function well only if you start with extremely low expectations for how public spaces can function. The wall/mega-planter on one side and berms/ramps-thing on the other side are pretty awful. The fountain takes up a huge amount of space and additionally its placement pretty much blocks off that whole side.

On the plus side, I agree once you are up there, the portions not blocked by the fountain, or occupied by the mega-planter and berms/ramps-thing, are pretty nice. So I agree it could be even worse, but it is maybe 1/3rd or less of what it could be with a much better design.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9040  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 4:36 PM
Private D Private D is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D.C.
Posts: 3,058
^ Yeah, I can agree with that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:44 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.