HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8981  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 10:16 PM
Jonboy1983's Avatar
Jonboy1983 Jonboy1983 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Posts: 1,721
While we are on the subject of the P-G and its lowest common denominator of readers...

Dare I post this story about the latest in the AWC Saga?

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2...son-Center-on-Oct-6/stories/201407160160

I invite you to read my reply at the bottom. There is one person who cannot POSSIBLY call him/herself a Pittsburgher!! SERIOUSLY!!!

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8982  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:07 PM
Private D Private D is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D.C.
Posts: 3,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Dude, not right after lunch! I need a bucket.
Sorry about that... it is extremely nauseating... even if it was proposed for somewhere up in Cranberry.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8983  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:19 PM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,488
Those comments are fairly tame. If you want BAD, read the comments for any wpxi.com or kdka.com articles. Nowhere in the universe besides Mos Eisley has as much vile scum & villainy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8984  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 1:11 PM
Muckk's Avatar
Muckk Muckk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: West View, PA
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPittsburgh View Post
Where is the steel going up?
Swinderman Rd & Route 19.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8985  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 5:37 PM
TBone7281 TBone7281 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 686
Took a quick walk around the area around the office before lunch.

2500 Smallman (2500 Smallman)


Looks completely gutted, the roof is totally removed from the portion on Smallman.


I walked down to the Pitt-Ohio Building to see if they had started any work there yet, but the trucking company is still going strong. (Pitt-Ohio is scheduled to move out "this summer" at some point.)

Coming back down Railroad St., I took this w/ completed and totally full Lot 24 on the left.




Lastly, current view of downtown from the top of the Cork Factory parking garage.



Apologize for the quality, specifically of downtown, didn't have my camera with me, just used my phone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8986  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 6:26 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Thanks for the pics!

The Strip is going to be so awesome if they can just keep doing good re-use projects while infilling with contextually-appropriate new buildings of decent scale. Obviously applying those principles to the Produce Terminal and Buncher properties is key, but hopefully even that area eventually blends in to an overall coherent, dense, and continuous urban fabric.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8987  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 8:03 PM
SkyPittsburgh's Avatar
SkyPittsburgh SkyPittsburgh is offline
JasonInPGH
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 186
New Planning Commission is up:

1. Bakery Square 2.0 Housing building 2 is slated for construction. The color scheme is even worse than that of the previous building. However, it seems they are putting a parking garage underneath this one, so that will relive some of the stress on other parking structures.
2. CMU is expanding with a new "Cohon University Center." It appears that they are removing a parking lot for this, so there's some good news.
3. East Liberty Transit Center "Building B" and "Building C" are slated for construction. Building "A" which is closest to Highland has already been approved and is slightly under construction.

Everything else is old.

http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/dcp/schedule51/presentation-51-597.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8988  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 8:36 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is offline
Eurosceptic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPittsburgh View Post

1. Bakery Square 2.0 Housing building 2 is slated for construction. The color scheme is even worse than that of the previous building.
Why? Why do they insist on such nauseating color schemes!?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8989  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 8:49 PM
SkyPittsburgh's Avatar
SkyPittsburgh SkyPittsburgh is offline
JasonInPGH
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Why? Why do they insist on such nauseating color schemes!?
I hope the planning commission will make them:
1. Change the color to something better.
2. Change it to the color of Bakery Square Living 1.

Also, the office buildings and respective landscaping should help cover the monstrosity of the colors.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8990  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 9:05 PM
GeneW GeneW is offline
Northsider
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Why? Why do they insist on such nauseating color schemes!?
I don't mind the colors (and I look at them every day).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8991  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 9:09 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
I also don't particularly mind the Bakery Living colors. I don't particularly love them either, but I see a lot of that sort of thing in our kids' clothes these days, so I gather they are popular.

Anyway, I like the reconfiguration of the CMU project to bring it a little closer to the street. And of course the ELTC/Eastside III project is always fun--some of those drawings were new to me, and I look forward to getting hopelessly lost in the parking decks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8992  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 10:30 PM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I don't mind the colors (and I look at them every day).
Are you a Googler?


And I don't think the new colors are nearly as bad as the original drawings. I was literally scared of seeing the purple and orange color scheme in person.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8993  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 11:06 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is offline
Eurosceptic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post

DSC_6542 by photolitherland, on Flickr
Newly completed apartments in Lville on Butler.
These turned out surprisingly weird. I initially thought they would be attractive brick-facade buildings... but the brick element is a minority. I was really shocked and nauseated the first time I saw the seemingly random rainbow color scheme.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8994  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 11:09 PM
Found5dollar Found5dollar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 196
Bakery Square drives me crazy. From an urbanity point of view it is amazing. Dense, connected, well placed. But from an architecture point fo view they are some of the ugliest buildings put up in a long time. The old factory building is beautiful but i mean the seams on the corrugated parts of Bakery Living 1 are already visible, the facade of the lowrise portion of Bakery Square is buckling, and the colors are going to be dated in exactly 5 years. It seems they put all the money into interior finished and skimped on the exterior. That makes sense for apartments and condos, but cheap cladding only leads to one thing... eventual leaks and repairs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8995  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 11:15 PM
GeneW GeneW is offline
Northsider
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Are you a Googler?


And I don't think the new colors are nearly as bad as the original drawings. I was literally scared of seeing the purple and orange color scheme in person.
No, I'm a UPMCer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8996  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 12:16 AM
Private D Private D is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D.C.
Posts: 3,058
"BIG HEART PET BRANDS" replacing the Del Monte lettering on the north shore building...

They couldn't have come up with any better name or lettering than BIG HEART PET BRANDS to put in giant letters on the two most visible sides of the building?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8997  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:14 AM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
"BIG HEART PET BRANDS" replacing the Del Monte lettering on the north shore building...

They couldn't have come up with any better name or lettering than BIG HEART PET BRANDS to put in giant letters on the two most visible sides of the building?
Your heart is three sizes too small mr grinch.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8998  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 11:07 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Just wait until they transfer the building to the "WE BUY GOLD" division.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8999  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 12:35 PM
Private D Private D is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D.C.
Posts: 3,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Your heart is three sizes too small mr grinch.
I'm a foul one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Just wait until they transfer the building to the "WE BUY GOLD" division.
CA$H MONEY
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9000  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:37 PM
eschaton eschaton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
These turned out surprisingly weird. I initially thought they would be attractive brick-facade buildings... but the brick element is a minority. I was really shocked and nauseated the first time I saw the seemingly random rainbow color scheme.
Yeah, that building came out surprisingly nasty. One of my bus friends who is an architect was complaining they did an odd mix of expensive things (like having an articulated facade) and cheap things (using inexpensive cladding). My wife believes they originally had a much higher design and the construction manager "value engineered" the cool stuff out of it.

As for the colors, they look pretty awful, but it could have been worse. Look at the Children's Hospital!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:05 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.