HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8401  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 2:19 PM
YYCguys YYCguys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
There is space for LRT, but it is further out than the green line in RouteAhead.

Putting the tracks in would be quite the scope addition...especially to do completely without any public knowledge.
Well that's what I thought. I've been following along on this forum for years and I think I would have known something if there was something to know. I knew her information was probably faulty, and not sure why she was so adamant about it's authenticity.
     
     
  #8402  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 2:51 PM
Stang Stang is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 538
Tuscany LRT to open August 23rd. Confirmed by councillor Ward Sutherland via Twitter. He gave a link to the Rocky Ridge/Royal Oak Community Facebook page, where there are some details : https://www.facebook.com/rrroca.org

Basically an official opening on Saturday, August 23rd and regular revenue service beginning on the following Monday, the 25th.
     
     
  #8403  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:12 PM
horrorshow horrorshow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Well that's what I thought. I've been following along on this forum for years and I think I would have known something if there was something to know. I knew her information was probably faulty, and not sure why she was so adamant about it's authenticity.
This could be true although I don't think 2015 is accurate. There is an allowance built into new plans for a line going to the airport. My understanding is that this line will connect (or be a continuation of) to the 96 Ave NE LRT stop.

My guess is that will be a spur line of some sort in the form of a driverless/monorail type thing.
     
     
  #8404  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:37 PM
Full Mountain's Avatar
Full Mountain Full Mountain is offline
YIMBY
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorshow View Post
This could be true although I don't think 2015 is accurate. There is an allowance built into new plans for a line going to the airport. My understanding is that this line will connect (or be a continuation of) to the 96 Ave NE LRT stop.

My guess is that will be a spur line of some sort in the form of a driverless/monorail type thing.
This line is part of the RouteAhead plan, while I think having a single vehicle ride to DT would be optimal, since the airport won't really be on the way to anywhere, the driverless idea that you presented with a drop off at either the NE or NC LRT (or both) would likely be the only viable alternative.
__________________
Incremental Photo - @PhotogX_1

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.
     
     
  #8405  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 5:15 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
This line is part of the RouteAhead plan, while I think having a single vehicle ride to DT would be optimal, since the airport won't really be on the way to anywhere, the driverless idea that you presented with a drop off at either the NE or NC LRT (or both) would likely be the only viable alternative.
And likely cheaper, better, faster, and future proofed for the deeper NE. And I am saying this as someone who would have a one seat ride within 2 blocks of my place if it was built.
     
     
  #8406  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 5:56 PM
Full Mountain's Avatar
Full Mountain Full Mountain is offline
YIMBY
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
And likely cheaper, better, faster, and future proofed for the deeper NE. And I am saying this as someone who would have a one seat ride within 2 blocks of my place if it was built.
Can you elaborate on the first sentence a bit, not sure I understand what you're getting at.
__________________
Incremental Photo - @PhotogX_1

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.
     
     
  #8407  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 6:07 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,632
A spur line LRT means servicing the airport with far longer and likely far heavier trains than the airport needs compared to a dedicated rail link that requires a transfer. Without a spur, full frequency of LRT operations is still enjoyed north of Airport Trail.

Average trip time (including waiting time) would likely be better as well with a transfer since you have higher frequency serving downtown. All you need is waiting time for the transfer to average the current frequency of the NE LRT and you are equal for trip time compared to a spur (assuming an unlikely 50/50 split between airport and the deeper NE). A small automated people mover should be able to do much better than that.
     
     
  #8408  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 6:51 PM
Full Mountain's Avatar
Full Mountain Full Mountain is offline
YIMBY
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
A spur line LRT means servicing the airport with far longer and likely far heavier trains than the airport needs compared to a dedicated rail link that requires a transfer. Without a spur, full frequency of LRT operations is still enjoyed north of Airport Trail.

Average trip time (including waiting time) would likely be better as well with a transfer since you have higher frequency serving downtown. All you need is waiting time for the transfer to average the current frequency of the NE LRT and you are equal for trip time compared to a spur (assuming an unlikely 50/50 split between airport and the deeper NE). A small automated people mover should be able to do much better than that.
Ah got it, wasn't sure on the deeper NE part, but that makes sense.
__________________
Incremental Photo - @PhotogX_1

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.
     
     
  #8409  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 7:11 PM
DoubleK DoubleK is offline
Near Generational
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorshow View Post
My guess is that will be a spur line of some sort in the form of a driverless/monorail type thing.
Is there anyway to do this with a single track, with creative use of 'sidings' (not sure what they are called in LRT speak) to allow for travel in both directions?

In terms of capital cost how much is the civil works as a percentage? For clarity, by civil I mean track/ballast/grading/bridge structures.
     
     
  #8410  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 7:28 PM
Full Mountain's Avatar
Full Mountain Full Mountain is offline
YIMBY
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Is there anyway to do this with a single track, with creative use of 'sidings' (not sure what they are called in LRT speak) to allow for travel in both directions?

In terms of capital cost how much is the civil works as a percentage? For clarity, by civil I mean track/ballast/grading/bridge structures.
I'm sure you could do it where the elevated portions (over interchanges and the like) would be single track and an on ground portions would be double. That said, depending on the space between the dual track section would determine the frequency and would need to be spaced fairly evenly through the route.
__________________
Incremental Photo - @PhotogX_1

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.
     
     
  #8411  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 4:58 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
I know car2go isn't exactly "public transit" but I believe articles about it have been posted in this forum before

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/1094780...-intersections-in-the-next-month-or-two/


Calgary to test designated Car2Go parking spots near city intersections in the ‘next month or two’


Compact Car2Go automobiles will soon have their own designated rest spots in close proximity to downtown intersections, says the city’s parking boss.

Troy McLeod, general manager of the Calgary Parking Authority, said he believes a pilot project will launch in the “next month or two” that would grant the popular car-sharing program its own spaces in the seven-to-eight metre buffer between an intersection and the first designated parking stall for general public use.

McLeod said the cars are all uniform size and the city could conceivably add eight spaces per intersection for a total of 450 in the downtown core.

The long-term goal, he said, would be to have all Car2Go vehicles parked in the compact stalls, leaving all other spaces for general use.

.. more at http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/1094780...-intersections-in-the-next-month-or-two/


So I guess there's some blowback from so many downtown on-street spots being filled with car2gos?
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
     
     
  #8412  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 5:12 PM
Full Mountain's Avatar
Full Mountain Full Mountain is offline
YIMBY
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I know car2go isn't exactly "public transit" but I believe articles about it have been posted in this forum before

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/1094780...-intersections-in-the-next-month-or-two/


Calgary to test designated Car2Go parking spots near city intersections in the ‘next month or two’


Compact Car2Go automobiles will soon have their own designated rest spots in close proximity to downtown intersections, says the city’s parking boss.

Troy McLeod, general manager of the Calgary Parking Authority, said he believes a pilot project will launch in the “next month or two” that would grant the popular car-sharing program its own spaces in the seven-to-eight metre buffer between an intersection and the first designated parking stall for general public use.

McLeod said the cars are all uniform size and the city could conceivably add eight spaces per intersection for a total of 450 in the downtown core.

The long-term goal, he said, would be to have all Car2Go vehicles parked in the compact stalls, leaving all other spaces for general use.

.. more at http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/1094780...-intersections-in-the-next-month-or-two/


So I guess there's some blowback from so many downtown on-street spots being filled with car2gos?
I can imagine there would have been given how many times you see most of the spots on a block taken by Car2Go's downtown, 8th Ave between 3rd and 4th is often this way.
__________________
Incremental Photo - @PhotogX_1

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.
     
     
  #8413  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 5:39 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Tuscany LRT to open August 23rd. Confirmed by councillor Ward Sutherland via Twitter. He gave a link to the Rocky Ridge/Royal Oak Community Facebook page, where there are some details : https://www.facebook.com/rrroca.org

Basically an official opening on Saturday, August 23rd and regular revenue service beginning on the following Monday, the 25th.
This is fantastic, and is early in my books. I had figured October at the earliest, likely November (given the "Fall 2014" dates thrown about before). Nice to see a project be ahead of the game for a change.

Also, Crowchild westbound is FINALLY 3 lanes after Stoney, and 80km/h as well. For the first time in my entire 10 years in Calgary, Crowchild is entirely DONE - for the parts that I drive. This probably could have been done months ago (all they did was remove some pylons and paint lines, the LRT work finished eons ago) but better late than never. Super thrilled to finally see it completed.

My only complaint is that I don't work downtown as often as I used to, but at least the wife gets to use the new station. And she hates escalators anyway so she's looking forward to it.
__________________
Suburbs are the friends with benefits of the housing world.
     
     
  #8414  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 7:05 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I can imagine there would have been given how many times you see most of the spots on a block taken by Car2Go's downtown, 8th Ave between 3rd and 4th is often this way.
The plus side of this is it should leave more car2gos in the rest of the innercity during the day.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
     
     
  #8415  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 7:38 PM
lubicon's Avatar
lubicon lubicon is offline
Suburban dweller
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Posts: 5,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
This is fantastic, and is early in my books. I had figured October at the earliest, likely November (given the "Fall 2014" dates thrown about before). Nice to see a project be ahead of the game for a change.
Also, Crowchild westbound is FINALLY 3 lanes after Stoney, and 80km/h as well. For the first time in my entire 10 years in Calgary, Crowchild is entirely DONE - for the parts that I drive. This probably could have been done months ago (all they did was remove some pylons and paint lines, the LRT work finished eons ago) but better late than never. Super thrilled to finally see it completed.

My only complaint is that I don't work downtown as often as I used to, but at least the wife gets to use the new station. And she hates escalators anyway so she's looking forward to it.
Holy 🞵🞵🞵🞵. Crowchild will be so weird not to have construction on it anymore. There has literally been an entire generation of drivers who have grown up knowing nothing but construction zones on this road. It might be a hard habit to break (60km/h that is).

And I agree it is pleasant to see the station will be opening earlier that most of us had thought. Like you, I have just grown to accept that when the City says Fall '2014' it means December 19. I'm not sure I would say the project is being completed ahead of the game given that it was originally supposed to have opened in 2012 before the Province cut some funding. But nonetheless it is very welcome news. Now we can look forward to the bitching from residents who live near the station and will complain about the increased traffic and the on street parking that may infest their neighborhood. The City has already been informing people about their options when it comes to residential parking restrictions in the area if they are interested in the idea.
__________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Albert Einstein
     
     
  #8416  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:25 PM
The Chemist's Avatar
The Chemist The Chemist is offline
恭喜发财!
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 中国上海/Shanghai
Posts: 8,875
I really like the new 23xx series of LRVs they've got running now. The metro style seating makes for a lot more standing room, which is good for capacity. The digital display boards inside the trains are also really useful.

A couple of times I've almost forgotten that I have to push the buttons to open the doors, though - I'm used to doors that open automatically.

As far as Tuscany station is concerned - I'm surprised it's not open already. It sure looked finished when I drove past it on Crowchild this week.
__________________
"Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature." - Michael Faraday (1791-1867)
     
     
  #8417  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 1:32 AM
CTrainDude CTrainDude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
As far as Tuscany station is concerned - I'm surprised it's not open already. It sure looked finished when I drove past it on Crowchild this week.
The station probably could open - it's just the pesky problem of people not being able to get to it or park there
     
     
  #8418  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 3:30 AM
sim sim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Is there anyway to do this with a single track, with creative use of 'sidings' (not sure what they are called in LRT speak) to allow for travel in both directions?

In terms of capital cost how much is the civil works as a percentage? For clarity, by civil I mean track/ballast/grading/bridge structures.
You wouldn't do this with a Monorail. One of the big disadvantages is the complexity of switches, therefore turnouts on monorails. That and their track essentially requires them to be elevated anyway, so if working in a constrained right of way you might as well just go dual track with a monorail.

In general you single track where there are space constraints. Off the top of my head, I believe Dresden has a lot of this in their Tram network. Helsinki has a bit.

Driverless operations basically necessitate that the right of way be fully separated, so again, you likely aren't saving anything if you choose to go that route.

Funiculars often single track and have turnouts to pass one another, as them both being cable driven they necessarily meet each other at the same place all the time.
     
     
  #8419  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:01 AM
TallisRH TallisRH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 20
I took some photos of the construction at Tuscany Station last week: https://www.flickr.com/photos/93422729@N05/sets/72157633031730680/

(most recent photos are at the bottom)
     
     
  #8420  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:38 AM
MasterG's Avatar
MasterG MasterG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I can imagine there would have been given how many times you see most of the spots on a block taken by Car2Go's downtown, 8th Ave between 3rd and 4th is often this way.
It would be a ridiculous idea to reduce the usage of car2gos in the core by limiting their parking to designated areas. They are using up a public resource (space) at 2x or greater efficiency than the users on average: both due to their small size being 50% smaller than the average car and the fact that many, many more times per day they are moved, freeing up the space.

This would be a backwards step to punish efficiency if they become restricted to smaller areas.

This city really struggles with the idea that car usage downtown will one-day be a unimportant slice of the transportation picture. It's plain economics; a densifying and intensifying land use in the core coupled with lack of road expansion breeds efficiency. This will happen as it has for years now. People should start acting like only 35% of trips are by auto in the core. And shrinking.

Last edited by MasterG; Jul 18, 2014 at 8:15 AM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.