HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6961  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 1:55 AM
finalcoolman finalcoolman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 262
Another possible delay for the North Road guideway erection.

A truck carrying one of the guideway segments bound for North Road flipped over on its side. If that segment is damaged, since almost every segment is unique, it would need to be recast, holding up the gantry once again.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1455471/tracto...n-line-guideway-flips-on-hwy-91-offramp/
     
     
  #6962  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:17 AM
queetz@home's Avatar
queetz@home queetz@home is offline
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ortigas
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcoolman View Post
Another possible delay for the North Road guideway erection.

A truck carrying one of the guideway segments bound for North Road flipped over on its side. If that segment is damaged, since almost every segment is unique, it would need to be recast, holding up the gantry once again.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1455471/tracto...n-line-guideway-flips-on-hwy-91-offramp/
Okay, its official! This project is jinxed! Its not meant to be! There is a reason why its been delayed again and again and again. Whether its political, financial, and even construction, the Evergreen Line is always going to encounter issues that will prevent it from happening!
     
     
  #6963  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 3:02 AM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
Yup the project will certainly be canceled now.
     
     
  #6964  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 5:20 AM
dpogue dpogue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 769
ehn, just leave gaps in the guideway and run trains anyways. They go fast enough to do Hot Wheels-style jumps, right?
     
     
  #6965  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 5:50 AM
MIPS's Avatar
MIPS MIPS is offline
SkyTrain Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 2,112
Have something like the failed BERTS project and leave uncompleted guideway and stations all over the place to do nothing but frustrate the locals.

     
     
  #6966  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 10:44 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,024
I had to google to see if that was a real picture or not. All I can say about the project is, what a waste!

Parts of it have now been demolished for new projects.

Why have I never heard of this before?? There are not that many half completed projects around the world this extensive in scope!
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #6967  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:25 PM
queetz@home's Avatar
queetz@home queetz@home is offline
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ortigas
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I had to google to see if that was a real picture or not. All I can say about the project is, what a waste!

Parts of it have now been demolished for new projects.

Why have I never heard of this before?? There are not that many half completed projects around the world this extensive in scope!
I know there are lots and lots of "ghost buildings" in Bangkok due to the Asian crisis but even I was surprised by the BERTS project. And to think I use to mod the Asian forums of Skyscrapercity. I'm guessing the BKKers are probably so ashamed of it they must have kept it under wraps by not openly discussing it.

This does show that there is precedence that a transit line can still be halted and left unfinished even if they are at the present state of the Evergreen Line as of today. I just find these accidents so frustrating, this project has been delayed for so long and is something I've personally been waiting for over 20 years, even a day or two because of an overturned truck can seem like an eternity!
     
     
  #6968  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:35 PM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,637
yeah, it's definitely taken a long time for this project to get off the ground, and finally, it has, and things like this happen. accidents happen. I can't see this project not be completed. they've invested in the project. the company's reputation is on the line too, if it doesn't get completed. so, i think even with all the delays and what not. the evergreen line will get done. it may take longer than projected, because of these 'hiccups' along the way, but it will get done!
     
     
  #6969  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:35 PM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Have something like the failed BERTS project and leave uncompleted guideway and stations all over the place to do nothing but frustrate the locals.

that's horrendous. and for those apartments looking at those guideways every day LOL
     
     
  #6970  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:40 PM
Alex Mackinnon's Avatar
Alex Mackinnon Alex Mackinnon is offline
Can I has a tunnel?
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
I know there are lots and lots of "ghost buildings" in Bangkok due to the Asian crisis but even I was surprised by the BERTS project. And to think I use to mod the Asian forums of Skyscrapercity. I'm guessing the BKKers are probably so ashamed of it they must have kept it under wraps by not openly discussing it.

This does show that there is precedence that a transit line can still be halted and left unfinished even if they are at the present state of the Evergreen Line as of today. I just find these accidents so frustrating, this project has been delayed for so long and is something I've personally been waiting for over 20 years, even a day or two because of an overturned truck can seem like an eternity!
Why are you so worried about the guideway? It's fairly likely to be the tunnel that is on the critical path for the whole project.
__________________
"It's ok, I'm an engineer!" -Famous last words
     
     
  #6971  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:47 PM
queetz@home's Avatar
queetz@home queetz@home is offline
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ortigas
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Why are you so worried about the guideway? It's fairly likely to be the tunnel that is on the critical path for the whole project.
I'm not worried, I just want to get it done ASAP! The guideway extension from Lougheed to the South Tunnel portal in particular. Having the Lougheed Station stumps, which has been a constant reminder of this project's never ending delaying saga for decades, finally looking like it has been really extended (and not just partially extended like it is today) would provide visual satisfaction. I maybe critical of forumers who value aesthetics more than functionality, but that doesn't mean I don't value some form of aesthetics as well....
     
     
  #6972  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:58 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
yeah, it's definitely taken a long time for this project to get off the ground, and finally, it has, and things like this happen. accidents happen. I can't see this project not be completed. they've invested in the project. the company's reputation is on the line too, if it doesn't get completed. so, i think even with all the delays and what not. the evergreen line will get done. it may take longer than projected, because of these 'hiccups' along the way, but it will get done!
Somebody died during the Canada Line construction. I hope that doesn't happen this time... so far the problems have been minor in the grand scheme.
     
     
  #6973  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 7:49 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is offline
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I had to google to see if that was a real picture or not. All I can say about the project is, what a waste!

Parts of it have now been demolished for new projects.

Why have I never heard of this before?? There are not that many half completed projects around the world this extensive in scope!
Narita Shinkansen comes to mind. Construction was frozen 21 years ago.

Though I believe part of the ROW is now being used by the Narita Skyliner
     
     
  #6974  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 2:32 AM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,104
What I seen during the past week:

- At least one escalator has been installed for the new Lougheed platform - west entrance.
- Concrete slabs are placed for the spur tracks at Coquitlam Station.
     
     
  #6975  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:30 PM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,104
Part of girder has been installed on the Pinetree curve.


http://wcs.pbaeng.com/projects/R1_Transit
     
     
  #6976  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 7:59 PM
queetz@home's Avatar
queetz@home queetz@home is offline
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ortigas
Posts: 3,679
That's interesting but for those areas with no webcams, has there been any movement at North Road after the truck flipping incident?

THe last video was taken the day before and I haven't been in the area lately to see.

• Video Link


Hopefully there is some movement and they would be at Cameron by the end of the week.
     
     
  #6977  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 10:06 PM
officedweller officedweller is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Part of girder has been installed on the Pinetree curve.


http://wcs.pbaeng.com/projects/R1_Transit
Nice, thanks.
     
     
  #6978  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:43 AM
adrianroam95 adrianroam95 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
That's interesting but for those areas with no webcams, has there been any movement at North Road after the truck flipping incident?

THe last video was taken the day before and I haven't been in the area lately to see.

• Video Link


Hopefully there is some movement and they would be at Cameron by the end of the week.
That's my video! I was going to post it here but the quality was subpar so I decided not to.
     
     
  #6979  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 12:03 AM
finalcoolman finalcoolman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 262
The gantry on North Road is moving again, and it looks like now as a precaution against a future similar traffic accident with broken guideway segments causing delays, they've set up a staging area of sorts in the North Road median to have the next segments needed for assembly safely locally on site instead of the 'just in time' delivery all the way from Delta as was happening in the past.



     
     
  #6980  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 1:56 AM
queetz@home's Avatar
queetz@home queetz@home is offline
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ortigas
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcoolman View Post
The gantry on North Road is moving again, and it looks like now as a precaution against a future similar traffic accident with broken guideway segments causing delays, they've set up a staging area of sorts in the North Road median to have the next segments needed for assembly safely locally on site instead of the 'just in time' delivery all the way from Delta as was happening in the past.
So basically the gantry crane has not moved at all since adrianroam95's video?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:39 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.