Posted Jun 28, 2014, 7:44 AM
|
 |
Registered User
|
|
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,030
|
|
I have had delays on buses going through the tunnel...
Anyways, if you were to go the 4X2X4 route, then it would have to be 3 general, 1 HOV, and 1 Bus Only lane in each direction.
I don't see the need for more than 3 lanes of general through traffic.
The Port Mann works well with only having 2 general traffic through lanes, 1 HOV / Bus lane, and 2 CD lanes each way.
And with the increased population south of the river will become increased bus use (hopefully) therefore making the need for a bus only lane even more important. Not to mention that a Rapid Bus along the entire corridor should be part of this project (centre lanes of course) and therefore once again reinforcing the Bus Only lanes.
In fact, as I type this, 1 HOV, 3 general, and 1 Bus Only seems like a really good way to go for the bridge given the major interchanges at its landings. The rest of the corridor would be fine with 2 general, 1 HOV, and 1 Bus Only in each direction.
And again, I feel so alone in my approach to highways and transit in Vancouver. I do believe in having a strong freeway network, but I also believe in building it to a realistic size, not an ultra America freeway bonanza size. I also support funding all the mass transit initiatives as well (skytrain and rapid bus baby). So I get no support from the typical "all freeways are evil" crowd, which live in la la land, and I get no support from the "lets build every highway 15 lanes wide at 130 km / h operating speeds" crowd, who also live in la la land...
|