Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower
I live in the Central 9th neighborhood right where 9th south is being narrowed as you describe and I think it's perfect as is. It's much more pedestrian friendly than other downtown streets, and the traffic speed is slower because of its configuration. If you make it a one way street you are essentially doubling the lanes which will encourage speeding up and ruin the neighborhood vibe it has going for it. There also isn't any need to make it a one way. It's a calm street and people are used to relying on 5th and 6th south to get across town.
|
Ok, I think I should have been clearer in one point: 9th and. 8th are not busy streets ( sunny side is though) and combined with traffic calming measures you could actually not widen the streets but essentially split them in half, giving all of the east bound traffic to 9th south (keep in mind the low traffic on these streets) and all of the westbound to 8th, removing more than half of the road (bike lane gone too)and replacing it with a multiuse park for bike travel.
If you need to I can pull up a rendering of a linear park planned for 2nd east to show how much narrower the road would be.
EDIT:
http://downtownplanslc.com/c0ntent/uploa...wntown-Community-Plan-public-version.pdf page 68- what I envision for 9th and 8th is for each to be the same as in the diagram except to possible have on parking lane removed (in the future when traffic gets worse, or maybe now if it's bad) but to otherwise be one way (with the toe parking and two travel lanes still) on both 8th and 9th meaning the roads would be calmer, more manageable, more engaged, and less car oriented. Due to the parking in 9th and 9th, traffic could be diverted to both the existing EB and WB lanes to maintain parking.
Otherwise, my plan would significantly narrow both roads.