HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9061  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 5:27 PM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
LOL, I was just trying to get this thread back on track. I haven't been downtown. ( staying away this weekend ) but somebody on here did say he/she did notice a new crane up at the ESA Marriott site.
I was at the PAC site! They had the cranes remove the girder out of the slot and lower it down. Fairly interesting. I left when they had lowered the first one about 1/2 way down b/c I had other stuff to do. Also, if you go to neumont university, I feel bad for you.
     
     
  #9062  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 6:08 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
LOL, I was just trying to get this thread back on track. I haven't been downtown. ( staying away this weekend ) but somebody on here did say he/she did notice a new crane up at the ESA Marriott site.
Anyway, nice try. Glad we've moved on to another page...
     
     
  #9063  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 6:20 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Snopes and the American Red Cross website state that they never charge people for relief. The fact that you can't seem to include any links to actual documentation means that your statements hold no merit.


At the time, I flew to salt lake to meet with the director and presiding bishop to discuss the matter. We had been charging people, calling it a donation. The rc would send a notice out telling people that it cost x dollars to help them out and a donation for that amount was requested. The bp called the Red Cross on it in that meeting and it was stopped. The church did not want people to think that they were required to pay for services rendered on lds property at time of emergency, nor does the church charge for emergency relief. Also, large contributors, like the lds church, are allowed to earmark donations to specific causes and projects. The pb did not say contributions would stop over the condom issue, but did say that the church did not approve as it was felt that it would be a bad reflection on the church. I think you can understand the inappropriateness of a church that teaches chastity to pay for condoms. For the rc, that was enough to adjust its funding of the project because the rc tries to respect the beliefs and standards of its major contributors. There was no coercion or manipulation. In matter of fact, your organization had a hard time selling the director on the project to begin with, but that's another story.
The contributions that came from the lds church at the time were being put into the general fund to be used at will..no strings attached, but the director made the decision to point them to other things away from your project. Other major contributors tell the Red Cross where their contributions can be used. The lds church generally did not do that. I don't know what the current relationship is as I am no longer involved with the rc.
This is a good example that can be applied to business and development. The floor workers usually see a very different picture than the executive suite and communication between the two is rarely the best or thorough. In a large organization, it's harder to do. In a volunteer oriented organization like the rc, it's even more difficult, because the floor workers are there for only a short period of time and do not have the opportunity to see the whole picture at any time.
Sometimes those on the floor have great ideas, but the higher ups do't see it and those on the floor are unaware of the the minutia and judgement calls going on amongst management. Management is sometimes unaware of things, too, and makes poor decisions. Whenever anything happens that causes an uproar on the factory floor, one should always discount the general reaction that is usually based on rumor and misunderstanding, and ask what the real story is. I get the impression that future mayor does this. Those who do find it easier to climb the corporate ladder, etc.
Now let's get back to finding some one to develope those parking lots in downtown slc.[/QUOTE]
     
     
  #9064  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 8:07 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
I was at the PAC site! They had the cranes remove the girder out of the slot and lower it down. Fairly interesting. I left when they had lowered the first one about 1/2 way down b/c I had other stuff to do. Also, if you go to neumont university, I feel bad for you.
That would have been an interesting process to watch. I figured that is how they would have to remove those large cross beams.
     
     
  #9065  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 9:53 PM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
That would have been an interesting process to watch. I figured that is how they would have to remove those large cross beams.
Eh, it was kinda long, they just pulled it out of the slot it sat in and then moved it south or north, and lowered it.
     
     
  #9066  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 11:03 PM
ryerop ryerop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
LOL, I was just trying to get this thread back on track. I haven't been downtown. ( staying away this weekend ) but somebody on here did say he/she did notice a new crane up at the ESA Marriott site.
Thank you for getting it back on track I like coming on here for insight and information that's happening with development and the occasional off topic something, after a couple pages though I'm always glad when someone gets development talk happening again
     
     
  #9067  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 6:12 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Does anybody know the name of the Virgin Mary apartments yet I'm curious as to if they have a website.. I like to see what these new apartment buildings are made of.

It looks like bridges is building an additional building as well.. It's much cheaper than the other buildings though... The other buildings were meant to be condos and they're partially concrete construction.
     
     
  #9068  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 6:59 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
.............................meanwhile................back at the constitution sites......Cranes are swinging.
constitution sites? Just kidding Projects. I think we all know what you meant.
     
     
  #9069  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 7:23 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
constitution sites? Just kidding Projects. I think we all know what you meant.
LOL, stupid iphone trying to guess what I'm writing. My bad for not going back and rereading.
     
     
  #9070  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 7:44 PM
VelvetElvis VelvetElvis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 190
In regards to the ongoing Gateway discussion, do you think there is a future for Gateway to redevelop in a more organic way? For example, the strip mall was king 30 or 40 years ago and I have seen ugly, aging strip malls re-purposed in some pretty brilliant ways with co-ops, studios, etc., such that each business contributes to a powerful gestalt. But I think a big part of that dynamic is that strip malls can become very unattractive so a person can pick them up on the cheap and have the freedom to think outside the box. When it comes to market value, there is no comparison between Gateway and a small strip mall, but Gateway as a development is an interesting structure. Today's faltering planned development could become tomorrow's opportunistic hot spot. I just hope it doesn't crawl along for 20 more years only to get torn down and replaced wholesale by something else... Would Boyer Co. ever consider selling the development in parts and parcels?
     
     
  #9071  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 11:47 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,639
These guys need to update their photo of downtown Salt Lake City. I mean, we're talking a photo from the early 1970s here.

http://generaldistributing.weebly.com/
     
     
  #9072  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 11:56 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
These guys need to update their photo of downtown Salt Lake City. I mean, we're talking a photo from the early 1970s here.

http://generaldistributing.weebly.com/
How the hell does a graphic web designer not realize that that's an old photo? There's one tower, and it's black and white for god's sake...
     
     
  #9073  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 12:42 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
How the hell does a graphic web designer not realize that that's an old photo? There's one tower, and it's black and white for god's sake...
As a graphic design (among other things) I've worked in these situations.

There was probably some guy in management who insisted on using that photo because they've been using it the entire time they've been in business.
     
     
  #9074  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 12:48 AM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
It is a weebly account. That is a free internet website creator. No graphic designer necessary. It's really simple to put it together, and SLCC actually has students use it to create their online portfolios. That web site is a simple hour to two hour job if that. Plus. That picture is used only on the home page. the other two pages utilize a more recent picture of the skyline
     
     
  #9075  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 12:51 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Right, that's the other story, where they refuse to hire professionals, despite having plenty of funds to do it.

So, it was some guy in management who created the website using weebly who insisted on using that photo because they've been using it since they first started business.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
It is a weebly account. That is a free internet website creator. No graphic designer necessary. It's really simple to put it together, and SLCC actually has students use it to create their online portfolios. That web site is a simple hour to two hour job if that. Plus. That picture is used only on the home page. the other two pages utilize a more recent picture of the skyline
     
     
  #9076  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 1:28 AM
mrawesome's Avatar
mrawesome mrawesome is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
These guys need to update their photo of downtown Salt Lake City. I mean, we're talking a photo from the early 1970s here.

http://generaldistributing.weebly.com/
It drives me nuts when I see businesses using outdated pictures of the SLC skyline. Uggggg
     
     
  #9077  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 2:08 AM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome View Post
It drives me nuts when I see businesses using outdated pictures of the SLC skyline. Uggggg
We need to start a campaign when PAC and 111's facades (mostly 111) get done, and then 151 and whatever is being built
     
     
  #9078  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 2:24 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
There are boundaries for civil discussion and just because you think you can say whatever you want to say on here doesn't mean you should or that you can on here Ute Nation. Your very negative and antagonist comment towards a religion and a people should not be tolerated. Do you think it would be okay for you to say something like that in a professional situation? How would you feel if people were to say that kind of stuff on here about what you believe?! Do you think it's right to say anything of hateful or mean-spirited comments directly insulting someone or a group on here? What about Muslims who wear the full garb and pray five times a day?! What about Jews? What about Hindus? Or what about Atheists? Maybe you are one. The point is that kind if comment does not belong on here?!! And, I absolutely refuse to tolerate any of that towards my faith on here! Sure, some commentary or disagreement of what the Lds church is doing in regards to development should be tolerated on here, but any direct insulting towards them or any other group is another story.
Wow.. This is off the deep end. LOL..


1. First off, you aren't the board police.. I won't begin to tell you or anyone what they can or can't post.. I will voice my opinion and I don't need you telling me what I can or can't post.

2. I never attacked LDS people. Just because your comprehension level is on par with a 1st grader, that's not my problem. I clearly said, The LDS Church crosses the line when it comes to separation of church and state.. Is this really even a question? I've heard many rational LDS folks say the same thing.

I don't like it and it directly impacts free market growth and development in Utah. I also said I appreciate some of the things the LDS church has done to enhance our community and development.. I also said, it doesn't matter if it's LDS or another religion, I feel it's wrong.. So your tirade about me bashing the LDS religion and it's people is pure ignorance. Let me spell it out for you since you cant comprehend. I don't think ANY religion should be involved in government as much as the LDS church is in Utah.. Since, I live here and it directly impacts me, I will talk about it.

3. The rest of your post is just ignorant, assumptive babble.. Maybe you should actually read what I posted next time and take the issue for what it is.
     
     
  #9079  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 2:44 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,769
Nobody has mentioned it for a while, but I've been wondering how the Newhouse rebuild is coming along. I imagine they're at or past the point before the fire now.


http://tassociates1008.qwestoffice.net
     
     
  #9080  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:14 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803


Yes they are past the point of when the fire occurred. I will try to get near there in the next day or two and snap a picture.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:21 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.