HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


    745 Thurlow in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #441  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 6:05 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
By Yellow Fever posted today.

Looks good. The dark green spandrel and vision glass look closely matched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
new updates


Flickr 上 Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity 的 IMG_1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #442  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 2:13 PM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
It's more than half done. Unfortunately, a prime site has been somewhat squandered. Under current city policy, this site now allows for 550 feet (168 metres).

Is it the case that this building would be much taller had the city changed its policy for the Alberni Street CBD shoulder in a more timely fashion (i.e., in time to accommodate the planning needs and market considerations of the current commercial office expansion)? I don't know.

It certainly could have been a lot taller, if the builders desired and economics warranted. Indeed, it could have been the tallest office building in Vancouver by a substantial margin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #443  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 6:48 PM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,728
I think it is turning out well. I am also increasingly finding it difficult to be swayed by height enthusiast assertions that 745 Thurlow should be taller. I think that its final height will play an aesthetically pleasing role in the transition from human-scale low-rises on Robson up to the high-rises of Georgia Street, particularly the Shangri-La and Trump. Moreover, were the site to have been able to absorb more height than what is proposed, that would still not have been a guarantee that the developer would have pursued the additional height.

As has been belaboured time and again, there are numerous considerations to determining the height, size, architectural expression, and market positioning and development timing of a building. The maximum entitled density and height of a site may not correspond with the level of risk the builder is prepared to take on for the project, let alone their financial resources or the shock tolerance of their proforma, and they have to make these decisions decision 5-7, sometimes as much as 10 years out. In hindsight, the current office market could probably have allowed 745 Thurlow to go several storeys taller without skewing the project's fundamentals and risk profile, particularly with the recent 'deus ex' leasing surprises (Microsoft, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Amazon) that are effectively strategic moves unrelated to the organic absorption trend of the office local market. It's not unlike winning a modest lottery prize or coming into some money from an inheritance; you cannot responsibly plan for such leasing windfalls when scoping out an office project.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this thing finished and occupied and am happy that a thousand or so additional office workers will be in the neighbourhood supporting local businesses, walking to work, taking transit and incrementally pushing us closer to the need for capacity increases (more frequent Canada Line service, please), cycling the new downtown bike lanes, etc.
__________________
VANCOUVER | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #444  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 10:50 PM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post

Moreover, were the site to have been able to absorb more height than what is proposed, that would still not have been a guarantee that the developer would have pursued the additional height.

As has been belaboured time and again, there are numerous considerations to determining the height, size, architectural expression, and market positioning and development timing of a building. The maximum entitled density and height of a site may not correspond with the level of risk the builder is prepared to take on for the project, let alone their financial resources or the shock tolerance of their proforma, and they have to make these decisions decision 5-7, sometimes as much as 10 years out.
Obviously. All of that was acknowledged (in a less laborious way) in the second to last sentence of my post.

But I disagree with your aesthetic evaluation. Neither Carmana Plaza nor the vastly taller Shangri-La across the street feel unwelcome on that part of Robson Street. The current building will be virtually identical in height to Carmana Plaza, thus succeeding only in creating an uninteresting tabletop effect with its immediate neighbour, something we already have too much of in Vancouver. The addition of seven or eight more floors, by contrast, would not only create a more varied and dynamic urban landscape, but also provide a gentle stepping stone between Carmana Plaza and the vastly taller Shangri-La, softening the giant difference in height between the two.

Carmana Plaza already plays a transitioning role between Robson Street and Georgia Street. What is needed is a building which plays a transitioning role between Carmana Plaza and the vastly taller Shangri-La.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #445  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 11:42 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

... I can't help thinking it's those darn viewcone restrictions that are playing into all this ... or am I wrong?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #446  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 7:13 PM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,728
Prometheus, I missed the last sentence of your post. Apologies. You are certainly correct and I agree that the timing of the City allowing additional height for the site was unfortunately not in sync with the project and the market.
__________________
VANCOUVER | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #447  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 4:39 AM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
My photo from today:

__________________
My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #448  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 6:23 AM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Although wishing that this were taller, I'm still glad that it has already surged past the height of the previous drab-looking parkade building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #449  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 8:29 AM
NewWester NewWester is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I think it is turning out well. I am also increasingly finding it difficult to be swayed by height enthusiast assertions that 745 Thurlow should be taller. I think that its final height will play an aesthetically pleasing role in the transition from human-scale low-rises on Robson up to the high-rises of Georgia Street, particularly the Shangri-La and Trump.
I couldn't agree more. Well the Vancouver skyline could benefit from some higher peaks, I'd rather see an organic rise and fall than a clutter of monoliths. It's also kind of a random spot for a supertall office building, being on the edge of the CBD.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #450  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 6:25 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWester View Post
I couldn't agree more. Well the Vancouver skyline could benefit from some higher peaks, I'd rather see an organic rise and fall than a clutter of monoliths. It's also kind of a random spot for a supertall office building, being on the edge of the CBD.
May I second (or third) that? I think if it were really tall it would seem "out of sync" and would overpower Alberni Street, which is supposed to be (I'm told) the "Rodeo Drive" of Vancouver.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #451  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 6:26 AM
EdinVan EdinVan is offline
EdInVan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sodom and Gomorrah
Posts: 785
I must say, even though the building is short, the sloping angles and the dark green glass make it look quite imposing, especially looking down Thurlow from Robson. It's a very nice addition to the area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #452  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 9:30 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
I must say, even though the building is short, the sloping angles and the dark green glass make it look quite imposing, especially looking down Thurlow from Robson. It's a very nice addition to the area.
Agreed! Height really matters only when it REALLY matters.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #453  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:45 PM
Graham_Yvr's Avatar
Graham_Yvr Graham_Yvr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
I must say, even though the building is short, the sloping angles and the dark green glass make it look quite imposing, especially looking down Thurlow from Robson. It's a very nice addition to the area.
I agree, This one is a stunner. It's really turning out much better than I expected, and has a very strong presence. Very upscale for an office building IMO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #454  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 6:04 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWester View Post
I couldn't agree more. Well the Vancouver skyline could benefit from some higher peaks, I'd rather see an organic rise and fall than a clutter of monoliths. It's also kind of a random spot for a supertall office building, being on the edge of the CBD.
However, it won't be an 'organic rise and fall' in this area, but more of a physically imposed and restricted table-topping effect with one or two tubes sticking out: more like a clutter of same-height shorties. Also the table-topping effect will create a flat-top wall as seen from Robson street. Luckily we have the Shangri-la and the soon-to-be-completed Trump.

For street-level views, I still love the tapered glass of this building, and am looking forward to seeing the ground retail area done too, should be fabulous!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #455  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 12:03 AM
Infrequent Poster Infrequent Poster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWester View Post
I couldn't agree more. Well the Vancouver skyline could benefit from some higher peaks, I'd rather see an organic rise and fall than a clutter of monoliths. It's also kind of a random spot for a supertall office building, being on the edge of the CBD.
Vancouver is in absolutely no danger of having a clutter of monoliths. Also in what part of the world is 168 metres considered a supertall? Not trying to jump down your throat over your choice of words but, so many times on this forum (specifically the vancouver forum) I read some interesting discussion about potentially a 500-600 foot building, only to have some one jump into the conversation calling the building a supertall and how vancouver doesnt need any supertalls etc so forth. Perhaps I'm being 🞵🞵🞵🞵 (I probably am) but to me you are using words describing a building of 1000 feet when in reality you are talking about a fairly modest building half that size. It just seems a bit alarmist or something to me.

Edit: I do realize the way you are using supertall is most likely just to describe a building that is fairly tall (for vancouver), but I maintain that many here just seem to call any building over 500 feet a "supertall" and it bugs be me because they are not supertalls. Like I said I'm just being 🞵🞵🞵🞵 I guess. Sometimes it cant be helped.

Last edited by Infrequent Poster; Jun 13, 2014 at 12:08 AM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #456  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 11:44 PM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
My photo from June 19:

__________________
My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #457  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 11:22 AM
EdinVan EdinVan is offline
EdInVan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sodom and Gomorrah
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
My photo from June 19:

Absolutely love the dark glass and sloping angles.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #458  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 5:09 AM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
My photo from today:

__________________
My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #459  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 6:41 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
Thanks for the update.

I wonder if the construction people on the forum can tell whether the glass so far is compatible with the addition of the lighting-strips depicted in the renderings:


Source: http://www.mcmparchitects.com/portfolio/63


Source: http://www.745thurlow.com/gallery-exteriors.php


Source: http://www.mcmparchitects.com/portfolio/63
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #460  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 5:45 AM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
My photos from July 2 and 3:



__________________
My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:37 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.