HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8941  
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 3:48 PM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,281
I think I'm the only one that loves the cube. I think it's rad.
     
     
  #8942  
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 5:56 PM
bbart76 bbart76 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 8
This is a great listen. Talking about Pioneer Park, downtown and new development.

ClearWater Homes and Pioneer Park Neighborhood Renovations

http://kcpw.org/blog/downtown-slc/2014-0...s-pioneer-park-neighborhood-renovations/
     
     
  #8943  
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 6:05 PM
ryerop ryerop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I think I'm the only one that loves the cube. I think it's rad.
I also like it, I like that it isn't the same as every other building we have downtown. It adds some variety to our city, that hopefully will help to encourage more diversity in the future....at the very least no one can complain its made of stucco
     
     
  #8944  
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 7:50 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Westgate Lofts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbart76 View Post
This is a great listen. Talking about Pioneer Park, downtown and new development.

ClearWater Homes and Pioneer Park Neighborhood Renovations

http://kcpw.org/blog/downtown-slc/2014-0...s-pioneer-park-neighborhood-renovations/
Thanks for the link! I googled Clear Water to see what they are doing. This is what I found.

Quote:
The Westgate Business Center building at the corner of 300 West and 200 South had a storied past as part of the historic Westside Warehouse District. Originally, the area which still shows evidence of the more than a dozen warehouse buildings was largely residential and had been since the town was platted. An 1889 map shows the First Baptist Church comfortably standing on the corner of 300 West and 200 South and surrounded by one and two story houses.
http://www.clearwaterhomesutah.com/salt-lake-city-lofts-westgate





It's a cool design, but I think having a parking lot in front of the building on 300 West is a mistake. I think it would be much better to build on top of that parking lot. Add on to the existing and build to the sidewalk.
     
     
  #8945  
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 7:57 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Telegraph exchange lofts





Quote:
This loft community will feature 17 large urban lofts in the heart of Salt Lakes 9th and 9th community. This project will feature a compelling architectural approach that blends historical reverence with the modern elements such as exposed steel, glass, and architectural metals. Loft units will range in size from 1,200 sq. ft. to 2,700 sq. ft. and feature a rooftop deck that affords unparalleled panoramic views of the Wasatch front.
http://www.clearwaterhomesutah.com/telegraph-exchange-lofts-salt-lake-city-lofts
     
     
  #8946  
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 8:06 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerop View Post
I also like it, I like that it isn't the same as every other building we have downtown. It adds some variety to our city, that hopefully will help to encourage more diversity in the future....at the very least no one can complain its made of stucco
Throw me into the bucket of liking the cube.. It's nice to see some vertical on 4th.. Now the Ken Garf building is an eyesore..
     
     
  #8947  
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 9:49 PM
RosePark's Avatar
RosePark RosePark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 168
Does anyone have an update on the former Zim's Building? Last I saw, they removed the ugly cladding, but didn't see like there was much progress for awhile.
     
     
  #8948  
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 10:23 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I think I'm the only one that loves the cube. I think it's rad.
I like it too. It's at least interesting, and unique enough that it could become a status building for the city. Here are some renderings of other federal courthouses going up around the U.S.:

Buffalo:


Los Angeles:



Newport News:



Tulsa:



Austin:



Nashville:



Orlando:



Most those aren't great, and some downright boring. At least ours initiates discussion.
     
     
  #8949  
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 11:22 PM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I like it too. It's at least interesting, and unique enough that it could become a status building for the city. Here are some renderings of other federal courthouses going up around the U.S.:


Nashville:



That Nashville one is very cool. I wish that was ours. Would look awesome on the corner of 400 S and W Temple
     
     
  #8950  
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 11:29 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,738
Thanks for those pics on the Westgate and Telegraph Orlando. This new rendering of the Westgate is a lot more of an elaborate redo than the original proposal and rendering.
     
     
  #8951  
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 11:40 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Wow, comparing those other Courthouse Renderings just makes me like ours even more. Ours is like the tallest and biggest out of all of those. Even LA's might be just as big or a little bit smaller then ours.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #8952  
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 11:51 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
LA's is a copy cat. Nashville's is ugly, IMO. Buffalo's is cool.
__________________
'Cause at night the sun in retreat made the skyline look like crooked teeth in the mouth of a man, who was devouring us both...

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244
     
     
  #8953  
Old Posted May 31, 2014, 1:10 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I am loving what Clearwater homes is doing as far as urban living goes.

I have wanted and hoped for 15+ years that someone would turn the Telegraph building into lofts. It's in the 9th & 9th neighborhood and I really think 9th& 9th needs some serious density surrounding it, to allow it to thrive and grow. I'd love to see the west end of Smith's parking lot be used as a road to connect to Chase Ave, or even a landscaped walkway from 800 S to Chase Ave. It could be pretty safe with the right lighting.

Clearwater is also the developer that took over the Broadway Park lofts. I am glad they have a vested interest in making the west side of downtown a vibrant neighborhood. I do however wish that with Westgate that they would lower the parking that is up against 300 W to below grade, and build a 2-3 story building along 300 W with some retail and possibly some additional lofts or offices on the 2 or 3rd floor. This could be done in the future I guess, when the demand for that parcel is higher.
     
     
  #8954  
Old Posted May 31, 2014, 1:12 AM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by utenation View Post
Throw me into the bucket of liking the cube.. It's nice to see some vertical on 4th.. Now the Ken Garf building is an eyesore..
I love the Ken Garf Building, and the Borg Cube. So there!
     
     
  #8955  
Old Posted May 31, 2014, 1:37 AM
ryerop ryerop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 81
I know I already said that I like the "borg cube", but especially after seeing those other courthouses, ours is even better now. Give it a few years and once some development happens in the parking lot across from it that I believe the church owns, and once the Air building is completed right there by it that area is going to add so much to what the city has going on in that part of it
     
     
  #8956  
Old Posted May 31, 2014, 1:37 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
I love the Ken Garf Building, and the Borg Cube. So there!
Me too. The Ken Garff Building is a great example of International Style architecture and historic for being Salt Lake's first modern tower.







     
     
  #8957  
Old Posted May 31, 2014, 2:08 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
^^^^

Wow, I didn't realize it was that old.
__________________
'Cause at night the sun in retreat made the skyline look like crooked teeth in the mouth of a man, who was devouring us both...

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244
     
     
  #8958  
Old Posted May 31, 2014, 2:16 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
There is some good history behind it. Salt Lake was actually growing its skyline pretty nicely between 1900 and the 1920s, but everything was undone by the Great Depression, as Utah was one of the hardest states hit. The last major development in downtown SLC prior to the Great Depression was the Hotel Monaco, which opened in 1924. It wasn't until 1955, 30 years later, that Salt Lake saw any type of significant development with the First Security Building. It really was the first indication Salt Lake had finally pulled through the Great Depression and was ready to experience growth again.
     
     
  #8959  
Old Posted May 31, 2014, 2:52 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Man, if the Great Depression never happened, or if Utah wasn't hit as hard as it was, our skyline could've been more interesting. We have a very aesthetically pleasing skyline, but I'd love to have more buildings like Monaco and Walker center. I'd hate to see any go.
__________________
'Cause at night the sun in retreat made the skyline look like crooked teeth in the mouth of a man, who was devouring us both...

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244
     
     
  #8960  
Old Posted May 31, 2014, 3:36 AM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
Man, if the Great Depression never happened, or if Utah wasn't hit as hard as it was, our skyline could've been more interesting. We have a very aesthetically pleasing skyline, but I'd love to have more buildings like Monaco and Walker center. I'd hate to see any go.
I'd hate to see any go as well. We don't want a repeat of the Hotel Newhouse demolition in 1983.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:34 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.