Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit
when i visit a city, the clothing styles ultimately register as just another component of that city's life and essence. eclectic london, brassy naples, dorky ottawa — they're just impressions. it doesn't seem any stranger or more controversial to me than noticing any other quality.
|
I would probably drag down downtown Sherbrooke for you if you ever sighted me there... I'm generally in work clothes that are probably worse than what most homeless people are wearing and completely unashamed of it.
Worse even, if you spotted me at the Colebrook gas station and Dunkin Donuts after I'm fresh out of the woods (generally dismantling abandoned beaver dams) and wet and muddy from head to toe...
Or even worse, lunchtime at the Subway or pizzeria in Contrecoeur (eastern edge of Montreal's south shore) while we're at the ArcelorMittal steel mill... I sometimes look like a black guy and/or those classic coal miners. We're usually briefly stopping for lunch and are going to go back for more right after it, so it's kinda pointless to bother to clean up for something as fleeting as lunchtime. I figure, it's a steel mill town, they must be used to it. After all, my face may be black, but my money is still green. (Well, technically, only my twenties are... but I always pay via credit card anyway.)