Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce
^Does that print not say St John or do my eyes deceive me?
|
Yes, it does. My assumption is it was made by a foreign company - probably American.
Also, it was quite common to refer to the city as "St. John's Harbour" back in the day, in the same way it's still very common for people to say "I'm from Placentia Bay" or "I'm from Notre Dame Bay" as opposed to the specific name of their community.
This is starting to fade in some other areas because they're connected by highways now instead of ferries. The communities in any given bay aren't necessarily linked by shared experience anymore.
Take this example. Harbour Breton and Grand Bank used to be almost as neighbourly as Halifax and Dartmouth. Ferries back and forth all the time, lots of inter-marriage, moving between the two was common, etc.
Back then, people in both would say they're from Fortune Bay.
Today, there are no ferries between the two and it's a 9 hour drive. There's no connection. There's an occasional ferry out of Grand Le Pierre sometimes, I think, but that's just as inconvenient. People my age in one don't even know the other exists.
As far as I know, they'd be unlikely to still say they're from Fortune Bay. There's no shared Fortune Bay identity anymore.
It's only natural that foreigners might assume the city was therefore St. John.