HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 11:25 PM
Hare Expert

As far as bylaws are concerned, what is a playhouse?

Disclaimer: My parents put me up to this.

So our neighbors decided at some point while I was away at school to build a playhouse for their kids. No big deal, right? Well, I came home yesterday and saw what my parents were whining about and there's a wooden monstrosity mid-construction in the corner of their yard overlooking our yard. The other side of the corner is facing into an alley. This thing is a behemoth of a playhouse. It's roughly 8x8 feet at the base, which is no problem, but it's two floors and looks to be some 6 feet above the top of the fence separating our yards. That's the bit that concerns my parents. Because of privacy or something my parents want me to look into the bylaws about constructing such a thing.

I looked in the bylaws and couldn't find anything about non-residential structures like sheds and playhouses. Closest was Accessory Residential Buildings, which sounds a bit more intense than a playhouse for kids. Do my parents have any grounds for them to move it somewhere a little less invasive, or are we hooped?

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 11:32 PM
not a NIMBY

Call 311.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 11:43 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

these are the rules for detached sheds and garages

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Pages/...e-or-Shed.aspx

more than one story is not allowed.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 3:18 PM
Home of Hyperchange

They're worried... about children... peeking into their yard?

My lord, they'd be panicking if they lived in a part of the city with - OMG - 2 storey homes. ie: most of suburban Calgary.

Also, pics please. When I was a kid we had a forest as a back yard, and we built an amazingly elaborate 4 storey treefort. I loved the thing and kinda am sad that most city kids will never get to experience the fun of having their own "place". Before your NIMNBY parents have this torn down, I wanna see.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 3:42 AM
Hare Expert

Well to be fair to my parents, (My mom, mainly) of all the places in their very large yard to put it, this was essentially the worst for us. Both our house and theirs is two stories tall but there are very few windows facing each other.

My dad has suggested a more reasonable way to react: Plant a tree in our yard to block their view. We get a cool new tree and the kids don't have to grow up with geriatric devil neighbors that ruined all their fun.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 3:59 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
Disclaimer: My parents put me up to this.

So our neighbors decided at some point while I was away at school to build a playhouse for their kids. No big deal, right? Well, I came home yesterday and saw what my parents were whining about and there's a wooden monstrosity mid-construction in the corner of their yard overlooking our yard. The other side of the corner is facing into an alley. This thing is a behemoth of a playhouse. It's roughly 8x8 feet at the base, which is no problem, but it's two floors and looks to be some 6 feet above the top of the fence separating our yards. That's the bit that concerns my parents. Because of privacy or something my parents want me to look into the bylaws about constructing such a thing.

I looked in the bylaws and couldn't find anything about non-residential structures like sheds and playhouses. Closest was Accessory Residential Buildings, which sounds a bit more intense than a playhouse for kids. Do my parents have any grounds for them to move it somewhere a little less invasive, or are we hooped?
So here's a question for you. If it was instead a tree fort 15 feet above the ground in a big tree in the corner of your neighbor's yard adjacent to your parent's yard, would they have the same concerns? What about a trampoline butted up against the fence that allowed the neighbor's kids to get far enough up into the air to easily peer over the fence? Or heaven forbid, what if the neighbor's kids learned how to make extra tall stilts and took to walking about their backyard on them?

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 1:37 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Well to be fair to my parents, (My mom, mainly) of all the places in their very large yard to put it, this was essentially the worst for us. Both our house and theirs is two stories tall but there are very few windows facing each other.
So if the neighbours did a reno and installed a big window that faced you, would your mom be calling bylaw services to find out if there's a law against that somehow?

Quote:
My dad has suggested a more reasonable way to react: Plant a tree in our yard to block their view. We get a cool new tree and the kids don't have to grow up with geriatric devil neighbors that ruined all their fun.
We need more people like your dad in this world. Do what you can on your own private property, and let the neighbours do what they want on theirs. Everybody wins.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
So if the neighbours did a reno and installed a big window that faced you, would your mom be calling bylaw services to find out if there's a law against that somehow?
There is a bylaw against it (or section in the Land Use Bylaw):
http://lub.calgary.ca/

See Part 5: Division 1, 347 (1)(C)

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 4:01 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
There is a bylaw against it (or section in the Land Use Bylaw):
http://lub.calgary.ca/

See Part 5: Division 1, 347 (1)(C)
OK, I'm taking the very lazy way out. Because I probably won't understand it anyway.

You're saying there's a bylaw against installing new windows into homes?? Because in modern developments, with houses being so close together, any window you install will be facing someone.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 4:35 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
OK, I'm taking the very lazy way out. Because I probably won't understand it anyway.

You're saying there's a bylaw against installing new windows into homes?? Because in modern developments, with houses being so close together, any window you install will be facing someone.
There are restrictions on the locations and size of windows to prevent overlooking issues, particularly with contextual buildings. In many established neighbourhoods you are allowed to build a 2-2.5 storey house directly adjacent to a bungalow. So windows on the front and rear of the property are restricted to prevent overlooking of other homes.

The other restriction is there is a max percentage (7% IIRC) of windows on a side wall adjacent to a property line for fire issues as you mention.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 6:10 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I don't know how my house was built then, because I can see into at least 20 yards around me. And all of my neighbours have similar windows.

Side windows are minimal, sure - but it's not like you can see much anyway when your neighbour is 6-8 feet away.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 6:23 PM
arf

Quote:

Generally windows in homes that face the property line fall under fire codes for minimum distances. It's not so much about privacy, although most designers take that into account when building on adjacent properties.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 7:42 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Generally windows in homes that face the property line fall under fire codes for minimum distances. It's not so much about privacy, although most designers take that into account when building on adjacent properties.
Yeah, I'm more thinking the backyard-facing windows. Plenty of distance for fire codes, however I can clearly see into the yards of people 5-10 houses in any direction.

It just boggles my mind to even imagine this as an issue. You can't build multi-storey otherwise.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 8:10 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Yeah, I'm more thinking the backyard-facing windows. Plenty of distance for fire codes, however I can clearly see into the yards of people 5-10 houses in any direction.

It just boggles my mind to even imagine this as an issue. You can't build multi-storey otherwise.
I believe the bylaw precludes putting bow or bay type windows on a second floor of a home, you can have windows facing a backyard as you do in your home.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 8:42 PM

This thread really needs photos.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 11:18 PM
Looking Up

Quote:
They're worried... about children... peeking into their yard?
reverse creeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
This thread really needs photos.
shocked it doesn't considering he has some pretty nice equipment...

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 12:30 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
So here's a question for you. If it was instead a tree fort 15 feet above the ground in a big tree in the corner of your neighbor's yard adjacent to your parent's yard, would they have the same concerns? What about a trampoline butted up against the fence that allowed the neighbor's kids to get far enough up into the air to easily peer over the fence? Or heaven forbid, what if the neighbor's kids learned how to make extra tall stilts and took to walking about their backyard on them?
I asked that to ol' mom and she replied with a rather cheeky statement that I won't bother to reproduce...

Quote:
Wouldn't be a problem because there are pretty much no windows facing our house. I bet there would be complaints anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tills13 View Post
shocked it doesn't considering he has some pretty nice equipment...
Most of it is century-old (Or nearly) film junk. I'm not posting any photos yet until this is settled.

Turns out the roof of the structure encroaches a little bit onto our property. Like... inches. Apparently that's a big deal, as the entire thing was built without so much as even telling us. I think the lack of communication is what's really annoying my mom. The saga continues...

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 2:27 AM

Quote:
I asked that to ol' mom and she replied with a rather cheeky statement that I won't bother to reproduce...

Wouldn't be a problem because there are pretty much no windows facing our house. I bet there would be complaints anyways.

Most of it is century-old (Or nearly) film junk. I'm not posting any photos yet until this is settled.

Turns out the roof of the structure encroaches a little bit onto our property. Like... inches. Apparently that's a big deal, as the entire thing was built without so much as even telling us. I think the lack of communication is what's really annoying my mom. The saga continues...
Even if it is not technically encroaching, I recall that there is something in that bylaw that says you must have a minimum setback from the property line if the structure is not built with "maintenance free siding."

That said... The kids will get bored of the thing within a year or two and then the problem will be gone, but if you confront the neighbours about it, then that awkwardness with them will be there forever.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 2:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Generally speaking, windows do not line-up against each other in any new neighborhood, but it may have been an issue in the old areas. That's most certainly been the case for our current home and the prior two we've been in. We probably looked at three dozen homes and I don't recall and of those having this problem.

Have you owned a home where windows face each other? Must have been a real steal of a deal for you to accept that type of crap design!

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 2:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
While at one level this a here nor there item, but I recall reviewing an inner city home a few months ago that I was considering picking up, but one of the things that had me reconsider was that the neighbor's garage was built so close to the fence that the roof actually hung over the property line. I actually didn't buy because of this - and I didn't want to get into a discussion with the neighbor about it to rectify.

So while there are some things that you / your parents may accept, there could be issues down the road.

My understanding of above grade construction is that it cannot be built up to the property line, and the roof overhang is clearly off-side. The major challenge you have now is that they'll get extra pissed that you didn't highlight this earlier. Whatever you do, make your decision soon. You don't want to sit on your hands and then complain six months later.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation