Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
A Tribune Tower II on that lot would be awesome.
I would be nearly just as stoked to see the Chicago Tribune Plant on the river get redeveloped though. It could really go a long way in making a sizable stretch of the river accessible and attractive nearly a mile from Wolf Point. If the Apparel Center and East Bank Club were go by the wayside in 20 years eventually we would have a long esplanade on both sides of the north branch that would provide a great continuation of the main branch that is coming.
I have thought that the Tribune Plant parcel would be a great place for the Cubs if they ever decided to relocate within the city. Much more likely though hopefully we could get some great residential mix of high/med/low rises there.
|
I'd love to see the Tribune's Freedom Center plant redeveloped as dense mixed use. It could connect River North with River West in a way that would make the river a centerpiece rather than a border, benefiting both neighborhoods.
But the plant is in a Planned Manufacturing District, so it's going to require a lot of political weight to be thrown behind that kind of project to make it happen.
I'm not categorically against PMDs, but I do think the ones within a mile or so of the loop are questionable. When you've got new 30+ story towers on one side of a street and blocks of vacant lots and parking lots on the other, that seems like a pretty clear indication that something is wrong; and that's happening at Grand in PMD5 and Halsted in PMD4.