HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8521  
Old Posted May 5, 2014, 1:57 PM
brankrom's Avatar
brankrom brankrom is offline
Transit Advocate
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Liberty Wells-- SLC
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post

The Anderson family has had sort of a rivalry with the Eccles family. And I'm sure the Anderson family would have loved to leave a legacy of their own by having a theater named after them. They may have even offered up the land for free, or given the city a sweet deal, in exchange for naming rights.
Speaking of naming rights... I really don't like the Quinney Lawson Capitol Theater plastered on the historical facade of the Capitol Theater, looks really tacky. I do however like the look of the ballet HQ next door.
     
     
  #8522  
Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:12 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Article on PAC/111:

Quote:
Setting the stage for the Utah Performing Arts Center

The Salt Lake Tribune


First Published May 05 2014 04:25 pm • Updated 46 minutes ago

The Prudential Building, 115 S. Main, is the last of six buildings to come down between 100 South and 200 South on Main Street to make way for the $116 million Utah Performing Arts Center in downtown Salt Lake City.

The 50-year old Prudential Building, designed by renowned architect William L. Pereira, opened to fanfare in 1963.


The 2,500-seat theater that will go up in its place is scheduled to open in the spring of 2016. It is designed to attract traveling Broadway shows, as well as concerts and other events.

Groundbreaking is slated for June 3 at 10:30 a.m.

The mega-theater will be the "crown jewel of the arts and culture venues of downtown," said Helen Langan, director of communications for Mayor Ralph Becker.





http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57905965-78/arts-center-performing-utah.html.csp

Last edited by utenation; May 6, 2014 at 2:37 PM.
     
     
  #8523  
Old Posted May 6, 2014, 11:55 PM
UTAZLoVer's Avatar
UTAZLoVer UTAZLoVer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 445
Hey guys I posted some pics I took walking around SLC the other day in the "My City Photos" Section.

Check them out (there are many more than this sampling):

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=6567545#post6567545









     
     
  #8524  
Old Posted May 7, 2014, 12:07 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745


Nice photos. I too have been posting my pics in the My City Photos Section.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=210541

Some pics haven't been seen on the mountain west forums.
     
     
  #8525  
Old Posted May 7, 2014, 12:31 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Great pics guys, thanks.

It's amazing what an impact 151 will make in the skyline, from every angle. Including this one.


Image by: ToysNoiz
     
     
  #8526  
Old Posted May 7, 2014, 1:06 AM
Stuxnet's Avatar
Stuxnet Stuxnet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
So I was playing around on Google Maps today and noticed they have a new feature that lets you see the old street view images as well as the current ones they have up. It offers a nice look back to see how things were in Salt Lake 2007 for example Pre City Creek and Post City Creek
     
     
  #8527  
Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:45 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Mall exteriors are so ugly, I always hated how those blocks looked back then. Good riddance!!
     
     
  #8528  
Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:54 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Great pics guys, thanks.

It's amazing what an impact 151 will make in the skyline, from every angle. Including this one.


Image by: ToysNoiz
We definitely need more towers on the east side of main..
     
     
  #8529  
Old Posted May 7, 2014, 4:08 PM
tygr tygr is offline
Development Junkie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
It's very interesting how very small our towers look when standing on such a high place so close to the city. That's where our city is so unique. We could have a 600 foot tower and it would still look short when standing on Ensign Peak.

What other similar sized or larger cities have as tall or taller hills/mountains so close to its city core?
     
     
  #8530  
Old Posted May 7, 2014, 4:17 PM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post
It's very interesting how very small our towers look when standing on such a high place so close to the city. That's where our city is so unique. We could have a 600 foot tower and it would still look short when standing on Ensign Peak.

What other similar sized or larger cities have as tall or taller hills/mountains so close to its city core?
Hong Kong
     
     
  #8531  
Old Posted May 7, 2014, 4:40 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
So I was playing around on Google Maps today and noticed they have a new feature that lets you see the old street view images as well as the current ones they have up. It offers a nice look back to see how things were in Salt Lake 2007 for example Pre City Creek and Post City Creek
I discovered this tool a few weeks ago and wasted WAY too much time on it
     
     
  #8532  
Old Posted May 7, 2014, 4:57 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post
It's very interesting how very small our towers look when standing on such a high place so close to the city. That's where our city is so unique. We could have a 600 foot tower and it would still look short when standing on Ensign Peak.

What other similar sized or larger cities have as tall or taller hills/mountains so close to its city core?

Another thing I've noticed is many of our towers have a lot of linear girth with lack of density. The Wells Fargo building is a monster on the block level.

Don't get me wrong, I think we're about right for a city of our size but as space tightens up, it will be nice to see more vertical..

99 West is one of our most recent towers and it's nice and sleek and very good looking.. I hope this a trending pattern..
     
     
  #8533  
Old Posted May 7, 2014, 9:00 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Well that and Salt Lake still has a fairly short skyline with a bulk of its towers within the same height range - which inherently makes things look a tad smaller and uniform than they really are.

Even when you're not standing in the foothills above the city, you can tell how lacking in height the skyline is. Hopefully that changes soon.
     
     
  #8534  
Old Posted May 7, 2014, 9:18 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,763
I'm crossing my fingers that the CCH will break that glass ceiling on height.
     
     
  #8535  
Old Posted May 7, 2014, 10:50 PM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I'm crossing my fingers that the CCH will break that glass ceiling on height.
Here also. And looking at the picture that F.Mayor posted, you can see how lonely that it would look from that angle, if built at the RWP site, which is OK, because sooner or later, downtown is going to spread out.
I've also fantasized about the old Zephyr site getting a new tallest sooner rather than later(more spreading out).
Don't get me wrong, I like me some density(S.Fran), just sayin that the S.E. corner of 3rd and W. Temple needs 46 stories up, one after the other.
All in all, the place is slowly getting there.
     
     
  #8536  
Old Posted May 8, 2014, 3:07 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Does anyone know what the plans are for the old SLC public works building? Pretty much an eyesore and vacant..
     
     
  #8537  
Old Posted May 8, 2014, 3:49 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by utenation View Post
Does anyone know what the plans are for the old SLC public works building? Pretty much an eyesore and vacant..
I don't know what the plans are, but I know what I'd like to see there. I'd love to see that building converted into condos or apartments. I think it would be a fantastic looking building for residential. The set back on 200 S is just enough that a restaurant could go in there with some outdoor seating between the building and the sidewalk. I think it would be a great addition of density to East Downtown and a great reuse for a decent sized building. I think the remainder of the land around it could be redeveloped into some additional housing and one or two retail spaces.
     
     
  #8538  
Old Posted May 8, 2014, 4:44 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Nothing will happen with the former Public Safety Building in the near future because it is still in use. The Evidence and Property Room is still being utilized as a new one was not constructed in the new PSB. When they designed the PSB, West Valley City and SL County were considering building one facility with SLC. That never happened and so the old building is still being used and there is no funding in the near future to build a new building, or at least that's what I have heard.

Speaking of rumors, Ivory Homes supposedly purchased the NW corner of 300 South 200 East, where the store Green Ant is currently located. The rumor is that they are going to build an apartment building. I'm not sure how many parcels they own but I think it includes the Ken Sanders Books Building. Keep in mind this is a total rumor at the moment.
     
     
  #8539  
Old Posted May 8, 2014, 5:03 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I don't know what the plans are, but I know what I'd like to see there. I'd love to see that building converted into condos or apartments. I think it would be a fantastic looking building for residential. The set back on 200 S is just enough that a restaurant could go in there with some outdoor seating between the building and the sidewalk. I think it would be a great addition of density to East Downtown and a great reuse for a decent sized building. I think the remainder of the land around it could be redeveloped into some additional housing and one or two retail spaces.

I like the way you think.. Based on UTplanner's post, it looks like the opportunity is going to be wasted for some time... The place is dead and a huge parking lot in the back with nothing in it.. To run one department out of that big building just seems silly but based on what he says, it makes sense.

Too bad.
     
     
  #8540  
Old Posted May 8, 2014, 5:29 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by utenation View Post
I like the way you think.. Based on UTplanner's post, it looks like the opportunity is going to be wasted for some time... The place is dead and a huge parking lot in the back with nothing in it.. To run one department out of that big building just seems silly but based on what he says, it makes sense.

Too bad.
Maybe it's a good thing. That will give me a few years to get my real estate going and transition into development, maybe just in time to buy and convert the former PSB. I wonder if there would be an opportunity to work out an arrangement with SLC that as part of a purchase/trade, the PSB for a new evidence building somewhere else.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:26 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.