I think the current bridge is fine. It needs to be reinforced, not replaced. Period.
I think MAX needs its own bridge, and I hope such a bridge is built.
I think other opportunities to alleviate traffic from that particular crossing need to be vigorously pursued.
I have yet to see anyone honestly address the issue of what would happen if a freaking mega-bridge were to be built. Yay, congestion alleviated, right? How incredibly ignorant and dangerously short-sighted.
If that congestion point gets alleviated, where does the extra traffic go? Think of it like a bath tub. You've got a tub full of water, and the small drain is your congestion point. Is a bigger drain going to empty the tub any faster? Of course not. The pipe can't handle more water. That's the most bare bones of basic common sense.
How much more traffic can the Rose Quarter handle? If they're not willing to address that, they'd better admit they don't know what they're doing. How much more traffic is downtown Vancouver ready to have dumped straight into it? Frankly, I don't care. That's Vancouver's problem. I also don't care if a new bridge over the Columbia is 🞵🞵🞵🞵 ugly. Not my problem. I'm a Portlander, and I do consider increasing the flow of traffic into my downtown to by my problem. I hate the CRC with a passion I cannot even begin to describe.
I don't want more traffic there. I don't want faster traffic there. And I certainly don't want to spend billions of dollars to make traffic in Portland worse.
In my opinion, the previous CRC proposal was a lazy solution that would only create bigger problems for future generations to solve. A big money, big bridge solution was the wrong approach from the start. A multi-bridge solution that included utilizing resources we've already got makes far more sense.
This is a solution I could support:
http://youtu.be/sPB1jtmHVkk