HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8341  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 1:08 AM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
Breaking News:

I just watched the Planning commission meeting live via the SLCTV website. The 151 Tower additional height for the midblock building was approved. The architect added a sloped roof that gradually slopes to the Northwest corner of the building. Due to this added gradual slope, the building went from (295' flat roof) originally to the new height due to the sloped roof of 305' and at the northwest corner tallest point it will be 320'. Also, they've added a little outdoor rooftop courtyard plaza on top of the building as well. One planning commission member made the comment that they liked the design for 151 Tower a lot more than the 111 Tower. lol.

Also: Encore Apartments:
This building permit came into the city for review earlier this week.
https://aca.slcgov.com/Citizen/Cap/CapDe...47&agencyCode=SLCREF&IsToShowInspection=
Record
BLD2014-02603
Commercial Building Permit
489 E 400 S
Salt Lake City
Encore Apratments
189 Unit Apartment Complex
     
     
  #8342  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 1:49 AM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Notice I never said people shouldn't drive. That isn't the point. It's to provide options so that people don't have to drive all the time and when they do have to drive, it's a limited amount. Unless we promote an even denser type of living, something similar to New York and European cities, driving is always going to be an unfortunate option.

The thing is, I don't need to drive most places unless it's to get out to the suburbs to visit family (and some friends) - and work (sadly, I do work in WVC, so...).

But I mostly ride my bike when I'm out and about. I live maybe a mile from the heart of SugarHouse. I take 27th down to Highland and Highland into the neighborhood. There, I've got plenty of options without the need to drive. Plus, now that the street car has been built not terribly far from my front door, I can easily travel into downtown now without the need to drive to a TRAX stop.

Even if I did drive, like to the store, my neighborhood is so centralized, as is the case with most SLC neighborhoods (though, to be fair, and much to my disappointment, some of SLC is disappointingly unwalkable - namely the area east of Foothill and the extreme western portions of the city, which developed in the 70s and 80s to county the sprawl in the southern part of the valley), that I'm not driving all that far.

People need to drive. I have no problem with that. But the walkable options should be more plentiful in the suburbs, and the distance shouldn't be as long as it is.

I mean, it's already been pointed out in this thread. A great deal of people might literally live next to their school, but because the suburb is a maze of streets, they can't just walk to it - they have to walk through a labyrinth just to get out of the suburb. That isn't the case for everyone, obviously, but it's a large problem.

Where things go south in the suburbs is that any aspect of the grid has been done away with. Salt Lake is walkable a great deal because its on a grid system. To get from Point A (house) to Point B (major park, school, market, movies, retail), you pretty much just have to walk out your door, down a street or two and you're there. For many in suburbia, there's far more points from Point A to the final destination.

That inflates the overall problem.
Fair enough. You practice what you preach and I think you made some solid points. I can respect your point of view.

I will say not everyone in the burbs is driving all over in SUVs and wasting energy. My house is highly efficient including landscaping, I drive less than 600 miles a month and take trax whenever possible. I live in fort union so everything I need for shopping is right there. I realize not everyone in the burbs has my options which falls into your point. But trax is only getting stronger and normal for folks.
     
     
  #8343  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 1:58 AM
bob rulz bob rulz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
You know what they say: most people join a church for social reasons, which is why religion thrives in suburbia. It is one of the only ways those who live in suburbia can have some sense of community in an environment that is not built to facilitate everyday human interaction. But many of the religious communities are judgmental and not very inclusive of natural human diversity, which does nothing to help community, and can make it a mentally unhealthy environment for all residents. Unhealthy for those who don't fit the group mentality, and unhealthy for those who are part of the group mentality.
You bring up a good point. It's true to an extent. There are some LDS who will still attempt to include such groups or help them out, but the community as a whole can obviously still be stifling or "alien" to those who do not fit in. I for one left the church because I didn't really "fit in", but I don't really have any particular animosity towards them. I get what you're saying. However, I believe that the mere presence of such a community is better than no community at all, although a multitude of different communities that interact with each other on a relatively frequent basis is probably better, which is why increasing diversity in the suburbs can only be a good thing. Fixing the issues within a community is a much more complicated issue though.
     
     
  #8344  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 AM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
The building that burned down just south of Smith's Maretplace has finished with all the framing again

     
     
  #8345  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:01 AM
bob rulz bob rulz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
Breaking News:

I just watched the Planning commission meeting live via the SLCTV website. The 151 Tower additional height for the midblock building was approved. The architect added a sloped roof that gradually slopes to the Northwest corner of the building. Due to this added gradual slope, the building went from (295' flat roof) originally to the new height due to the sloped roof of 305' and at the northwest corner tallest point it will be 320'. Also, they've added a little outdoor rooftop courtyard plaza on top of the building as well. One planning commission member made the comment that they liked the design for 151 Tower a lot more than the 111 Tower. lol.

Also: Encore Apartments:
This building permit came into the city for review earlier this week.
https://aca.slcgov.com/Citizen/Cap/CapDe...47&agencyCode=SLCREF&IsToShowInspection=
Record
BLD2014-02603
Commercial Building Permit
489 E 400 S
Salt Lake City
Encore Apratments
189 Unit Apartment Complex
This is great news! I can't wait to see the new rendering.
     
     
  #8346  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:28 AM
Lilljemalm Lilljemalm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 140
Another thing to consider in planning and sprawl is demographics. The upcoming generation is smaller, poorer, and not having so many kids. There will be less demand for the big houses being built. Some metros are already seeing the effect of this.
As for a good layout, we need to return to square blocks, smaller houses an neighborhood markets, etc.

And congrats on the approval of 151
     
     
  #8347  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:32 AM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
The 151 Tower additional height



Great news!
That will be an interesting look added to the skyline when looking at it from the East. And now that it is a few more feet taller makes it even better...
__________________
Photos of Downtown SLC & surrounding areas-http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199269&highlight=ctobsl

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com
     
     
  #8348  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:10 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Awesome!!!! At 320FT now that puts 151 4 FT taller then 222 south Main.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #8349  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:23 AM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Awesome!!!! At 320FT now that puts 151 4 FT taller then 222 south Main.
Once we see some renderings, I want to see it on the diagram soon after.
     
     
  #8350  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:49 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
320! Nice! If I'm not mistaken, that's how tall the World Trade Center at City Creek is (Eagle Gate), so, it will certainly make a dent in the skyline.
     
     
  #8351  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:58 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
Great news on 151! This building just keeps getting better and better. If anyone can find a new rendering I would love to see it.
     
     
  #8352  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:59 PM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,283
If you don't count the cupola and flagpole on Grand America, that would put 151 tied for 10th tallest. Great news. Definitely will make an impact. Excited to see new renderings and a timeline!
     
     
  #8353  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:48 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Yay 151! This is rapidly becoming the building I'm most excited about. I wish 111 were the tower I was most excited about, but it's just another box. A new box, a shiny box, but a box.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #8354  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:16 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Yay 151! This is rapidly becoming the building I'm most excited about. I wish 111 were the tower I was most excited about, but it's just another box. A new box, a shiny box, but a box.
While it has lost some sexiness, I still like it. At almost 400 ft, I think it will look nice in that spot and once it starts rising, I think it will look good.

As far as 151, it's amzing this started as a 9 story "tower".. Now a decent sized, 🞵🞵🞵🞵 building with a sloped roof.. I work right by this site and I've been watching them slug away at the parking garage. 2 of the 4 levels are done.

Can't wait for some steel and a real crane to start rolling.

Add in the CCH and I think SLC will be exciting the next 2-3 years. Almost like City Creek times.

Last edited by utenation; Apr 24, 2014 at 6:30 PM.
     
     
  #8355  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 7:10 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Fantastic news about both 151 and the building permit for encore apartments. So we've seen a rendering for the former Sizzler location and now the Encore apartments, 400 S is really starting to come into it's own as an urban transit oriented corridor.

I'm interested to see how much of the area the Encore Apartments will develop on. Grey Oak llc, owns the parcel at 489 which is the former flower store, including what is two additional lots to the west to the Executive Building. Grey Oak also owns the small two story office building on 500 E behind the former flower shop, as well as the Executive Building and the little apartments on Denver St, with the smoke shop on 400 S.

I'm hoping that they are just going to build on the three flower shop parcels and the parcel behind, but that would end up being 364 units per acre and that is pretty high, but there is no maximum density for that zone.

The nice thing is for residential or mixed use buildings a conditional use can be approved for 125', but they wouldn't have issued the building permit for the building prior to approving a conditional use permit, so I am guessing they will be taking down the Executive Building and the little apartments on Denver st as well. Even at 75' that is still some decent density for that corner and will be a great addition to 400 S.
     
     
  #8356  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 7:11 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
That's cool news about 151. I wonder if they saw my comment below on this thread. My red outline showed a sloping to the northwest corner. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
[IMG]Capture by brandino74, on Flickr[/IMG]

The red outline is my suggestion of how to make the glass parapet different from the flat glass parapets of 111, 222, and the new Federal Courthouse. The angles in the façade work well with the sloping of the glass parapet I am suggesting in red.

Last edited by Orlando; Apr 24, 2014 at 7:24 PM.
     
     
  #8357  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 7:58 PM
utenation's Avatar
utenation utenation is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 265
Some shots of 151 parking garage about halfway done.



     
     
  #8358  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 8:23 PM
stayinginformed stayinginformed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by utenation View Post
Some shots of 151 parking garage about halfway done.


I didn't know there were solar panels on top of the Second and Second building. That is cool.
     
     
  #8359  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 8:32 PM
goldcntry's Avatar
goldcntry goldcntry is offline
West bench livin'
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Daybreak (So. Jordan), UT
Posts: 791
The Second & Second building is one of my favorites on the east side of the CBD...
__________________
Giant Meteor 2024
Just end it all already.
     
     
  #8360  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 9:32 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Just think of that view in a few years once 111 and 151 are finish.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:50 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.