HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2421  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:45 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
FINALLY! With their new budget SEPTA can finally start improve Philly's transit system.

Quote:
SEPTA to restore all-night subway service soon
Paul Nussbaum, Inquirer Staff Writer

SEPTA will restore all-night subway service on Fridays and Saturdays, at least temporarily, beginning in June, officials said Monday.

SEPTA's proposed new operating budget for the fiscal year that starts July 1 includes several hundred thousand dollars to run the Broad Street subway and the Market-Frankford subway-elevated line all night on Fridays and Saturdays.

Since 1991, subway service has been halted between midnight and 5 a.m., with Nite Owl buses substituted on those routes. Increasing nightlife and residential activity in Center City in recent years prompted SEPTA officials to try to bring back the subway service.

Chief financial officer Richard Burnfield said the program would be an experiment from mid-June until Labor Day.

If ridership and customer reaction is positive, SEPTA could continue the late-night service after Labor Day, Burnfield said.
Full article at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...vice_soon.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2422  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 12:01 PM
Nightman Nightman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
FINALLY! With their new budget SEPTA can finally start improve Philly's transit system.



Full article at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...vice_soon.html
This is great news but I question the timing. All the students are gone for the summer and everyone and their mother goes to the shore on the weekends. I would hope they take this into consideration in the evaluation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2423  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 12:59 PM
PhiLaw PhiLaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 774
Here's my boy Kenyatta Johnson using "councilmanic prerogative" to block the sale of two market-rate lots to Ori Fiebush. No political motivation here, just "councilmanic prerogative."

http://articles.philly.com/2014-04-14/news/49129671_1_ori-feibush-ocf-realty-point-breeze
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2424  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 1:01 PM
PhiLaw PhiLaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman View Post
This is great news but I question the timing. All the students are gone for the summer and everyone and their mother goes to the shore on the weekends. I would hope they take this into consideration in the evaluation.
Great point, Nightman. I would hope that someone at SEPTA would have the wherewithal to incorporate this fact into their findings. I would note, however, that the Jersey Shore drain is diminishing. I've noticed it starting a few years ago. The city isn't as dead in the Summer as it used to be. But you're absolutely right, there is a lot less street/night activity in the Summer months than during the other seasons. A Philadelphia-styled "North Beach," anyone?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2425  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 1:30 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman View Post
This is great news but I question the timing. All the students are gone for the summer and everyone and their mother goes to the shore on the weekends. I would hope they take this into consideration in the evaluation.
I thought the EXACT same thing. I mean, you gotta root for SEPTA but sometimes you just have to wonder where their heads are at?!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2426  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 1:52 PM
br323206 br323206 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman View Post
This is great news but I question the timing. All the students are gone for the summer and everyone and their mother goes to the shore on the weekends. I would hope they take this into consideration in the evaluation.
Yea, I don't really see it as a huge problem. Students are gone and people go to the shore. But those that are here are more likely to go out than in the dead of winter. Add in an influx of tourists and suburbanites every weekend, and the city isn't nearly as dead in the summer as it used to be. It's actually pretty bumping.

Plus, they'll be comparing the numbers to last summer's numbers--not spring, fall, or winter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2427  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 1:57 PM
josef's Avatar
josef josef is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Collingswood
Posts: 876
Quote:
SEPTA's proposed new operating budget for the fiscal year that starts July 1 includes several hundred thousand dollars to run the Broad Street subway and the Market-Frankford subway-elevated line all night on Fridays and Saturdays.
I think this is really it. Huge agencies like this don't have the money to pivot immediately on something, and honestly I'm impressed they did with only a few months notice (unless they were planning it all along, but I doubt it). I guess they just had to appropriate funds for it on a budgetary basis. The thing I want to happen the most though is actual promotion of the fact that the lines are open overnight. That's one thing transit agencies here (in the US) — hugely at. They need a campaign.

Also, wasn't Sugarhouse planning on having a beach on the waterfront at one point? Or was that someone else?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2428  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:48 PM
iamrobk iamrobk is offline
Future World Dictator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
I think this is really it. Huge agencies like this don't have the money to pivot immediately on something, and honestly I'm impressed they did with only a few months notice (unless they were planning it all along, but I doubt it). I guess they just had to appropriate funds for it on a budgetary basis. The thing I want to happen the most though is actual promotion of the fact that the lines are open overnight. That's one thing transit agencies here (in the US) — hugely at. They need a campaign.

Also, wasn't Sugarhouse planning on having a beach on the waterfront at one point? Or was that someone else?
I actually don't think the notice will be a big deal. Already seen a lot of my friends posting about this on facebook/twitter/etc. People are already excited for it. Of course, I guess they could all forget, but I doubt it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2429  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:15 PM
ATR3 ATR3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8
IMO - a great piece about what to do with The Gallery - http://ilovebricks.blogspot.com/2014/04/how-to-rebrand-gallery-mall-stop.html?m=1

Makes more sense to me ... Especially if the proposed Girard towers become a reality and offer similar stores in a more appealing setting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2430  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:46 PM
josef's Avatar
josef josef is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Collingswood
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
I actually don't think the notice will be a big deal. Already seen a lot of my friends posting about this on facebook/twitter/etc. People are already excited for it. Of course, I guess they could all forget, but I doubt it.
Oh sure, it's made news on the Philly internet scene, but I bet most people you'd talk to on the street have no idea it's coming. I'd like to see posters in prominent, every day places that are hard to miss, like bus stops or something.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2431  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:10 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fitler Square (via London)
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiLaw View Post
Here's my boy Kenyatta Johnson using "councilmanic prerogative" to block the sale of two market-rate lots to Ori Fiebush. No political motivation here, just "councilmanic prerogative."

http://articles.philly.com/2014-04-14/news/49129671_1_ori-feibush-ocf-realty-point-breeze
I almost feel bad for him--you can just tell he's not the brightest bulb in the pile. Every time he gets into one of these tiffs with Ori, Ori comes across as matter-of-fact, thoughtful and progressive and Kenyatta comes off as dim-witted, impractical, and regressive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2432  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:11 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR3 View Post
IMO - a great piece about what to do with The Gallery - http://ilovebricks.blogspot.com/2014/04/how-to-rebrand-gallery-mall-stop.html?m=1

Makes more sense to me ... Especially if the proposed Girard towers become a reality and offer similar stores in a more appealing setting.
Very well done article. Someone should send this baby on over to PREIT
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2433  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 5:35 PM
PhiLaw PhiLaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Very well done article. Someone should send this baby on over to PREIT
Count me in for this:

http://www.weirdus.com/states/arizona/roadside_oddities/the_thing/index.php
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2434  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 6:06 PM
Jelly Roll Jelly Roll is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I almost feel bad for him--you can just tell he's not the brightest bulb in the pile. Every time he gets into one of these tiffs with Ori, Ori comes across as matter-of-fact, thoughtful and progressive and Kenyatta comes off as dim-witted, impractical, and regressive.
I don't feel bad for him. He needs to be booted out of office as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2435  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 6:15 PM
Mappy Mappy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR3 View Post
IMO - a great piece about what to do with The Gallery - http://ilovebricks.blogspot.com/2014/04/how-to-rebrand-gallery-mall-stop.html?m=1

Makes more sense to me ... Especially if the proposed Girard towers become a reality and offer similar stores in a more appealing setting.
If only someone would have had the forethought to gut the Gallery in the early 90s and build the convention center there instead. If it were designed with any competences (market street entrances and pedestrian traffic) we could have avoided two mega-turds and saved some buildings on Broad in the process.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2436  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM
Baconboy007 Baconboy007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
If only someone would have had the forethought to gut the Gallery in the early 90s and build the convention center there instead. If it were designed with any competences (market street entrances and pedestrian traffic) we could have avoided two mega-turds and saved some buildings on Broad in the process.
Mega-turds
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2437  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 10:12 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
To think this high profile company's headquarter could of been in Unversity City or the Navy Yard would of been a big boost to another large construction building. Urg...very frustrated the company didn't pick either of these locations.

See link:
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...nes-how-the-saint-gobain-search-for.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2438  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 10:47 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Breaking news

LARGE mixed use project proposed for the empty lot at 18th and Callowhill. Not sure on the exact size, but it would need Zoning variances. The project could include multiple towers and will include residential, commercial/retail as well as office space.

Also, Museum Towers II got FULL approvals for variances from the ZBA.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2439  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 11:51 PM
DIESELPOLO's Avatar
DIESELPOLO DIESELPOLO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 664
I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
To think this high profile company's headquarter could of been in Unversity City or the Navy Yard would of been a big boost to another large construction building. Urg...very frustrated the company didn't pick either of these locations.

See link:
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...nes-how-the-saint-gobain-search-for.html
It's still in the region. Sounds like they were very much leaning toward a suburban product anyway - including their workforce which is located in the vicinity.

This doesn't absolve the city (cities in general if we need to widen the scope of the argument) and its complex apparatus for getting projects of this size through...if you're not Comcast.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2440  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 AM
Aaamazarite's Avatar
Aaamazarite Aaamazarite is offline
Cory Trevor Leahy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wash West
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Breaking news

LARGE mixed use project proposed for the empty lot at 18th and Callowhill. Not sure on the exact size, but it would need Zoning variances. The project could include multiple towers and will include residential, commercial/retail as well as office space.

Also, Museum Towers II got FULL approvals for variances from the ZBA.
Excellent. The final pieces of the Franklintown puzzle are finally getting filled-- only took 40 years. I've heard that that particular lot needs environmental remediation, but hopefully the person who told me that was just talking out of their —.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:26 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.