Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy
Moving I-35 is not an option and no it would not do wonders for the city. People were pissed when that suggestion came out (which since has been ruled as very unlikely anyways). The difference between Austin and the cities that removed freeways is they have other freeways that run through. Austin only has 35. The idea to toll 35 and shift 35 east would not only anger the majority of the population that uses 35 daily. Many are on a tight budget as it is and they are not going to pay to use it. Driving miles east is not an option especially if you live and work along the 35 corridor. It will also cause wide apread suburban sprawl through miles of farm, ranch and wooded land.
This may sound harsh and I apolgize now because ive had a rough night but ill try to be as respectable as I can. To be honest why should the city of Austin pay the price just so people who live way out in the burbs wont have to spend an hour+ in traffic? Granted a lot of people that live in places like RR live there because they can't afford a place in the city when they would prefer to be in the city. However a majority choose to live in suburbia for whatever reason and they seem to think that Austin should toll all its freeways whether new or not. Several of these suburbs could join Capital Metro to get mass transit but they don't other than a couple.
I was considering to say more but I think for now I will leave it at that.
|
I'm not sure how the city of Austin is "having to pay for people in the burbs"?? A congested I-35 isn't a good thing for Austinites whether they live in downtown or live on the outskirts of town.
I-35 needs to change. As long as we keep it "free," regardless of how much an individual uses it, it will remain congested. I apologize if this seems insensitive, but like almost everything else in this world, if you use something, then YOU (not your neighbor), should pay to use it.
One of the reasons our city doesn't have a decent rail system yet is at least partially because of all the "free" roads we have that make driving a car seem like a smarter economic decision. If every individual bore the full cost of driving their private cars (cost of their car + cost of maintenance of their car + cost of roads + cost of maintaining roads + cost of alternative land uses +??), they would be more inclined to consider alternative transportation modes.
By the way, I live in south central Austin and I bike to work.