HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 2:14 PM

Normally you wouldn't give this building a second thought.

GSV

until you find something like this.

ebay

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 2:21 PM

ebay

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 2:37 PM

ebay

The Cinema Motel today

GSV

No one has touched that roof in probably 80 years.

I think the 'patio' in the old postcard was located in that greenish area.

google_earth
__

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 2:42 PM

...just for fun.

ebay

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 2:48 PM

...and straight from central casting.

Taxi driver, 1940s

ebay

Gilfillan Bros?
__

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 3:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/jwqcd8j]
(you should consider using this normal size type. It doesn't feel like you're yelling at us.) -just a suggestion.
__
Thanks for the suggestion ER. I will use a smaller size from now on, such as [3]. I can barely read the default size ....''which is this''.

This is 2, the default size, which is so small and light weight that I can barely read it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 3:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Cinema Motel today

GSV
No one has touched that roof in probably 80 years.
__
I have observed that motels like this one rent their rooms by the hour. hmmm.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 5:44 PM
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Thanks for the suggestion ER. I will use a smaller size from now on, such as [3]. I can barely read the default size ....''which is this''.

This is 2, the default size, which is so small and light weight that I can barely read it.
If you press and hold your "ctrl" (control) key, and press the "+" key you can increase the size of the font.
You can also right click your mouse anywhere on your desktop then select Personalize from the drop down menu. Once there you can select the Ease of Access Center then select Make the Computer Easier to See option and adjust the icon and text size from there.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Thanks for the extra info, Andys.

The Pico-Figueroa branch at 1301 S Figueroa was part of a larger building. This view today would be looking straight at the entrance of the Convention Center. It's well worth zooming this picture for the details.

USC Digital Library

More to follow ...
I enjoyed this whole series very much HossC, and was especially glad to see the Pico & Figueroa branch picture – that’s the elusive Masonic Hall building I hadn’t been able to find an image of except this fuzzy sketch from the LA Times 9-29-1907 (Hudson & Munsell, architects).

The Masons leased the space to the bank starting 1-1-1921 (per LA Times 12-5-1920).

There was a dramatic and nourish robbery there in July 1929.
(LAT 7-14-1929)

They were still in there as of Oct 1950 when the bank ran an ad celebrating its 60th anniversary. Bert F. Vogel, who'd kept a revolver in his desk in 1929 (the one used to foil the robbery) was still manager!

(LAT 10-10-1950)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 7:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
If you press and hold your "ctrl" (control) key, and press the "+" key you can increase the size of the font.
You can also right click your mouse anywhere on your desktop then select Personalize from the drop down menu. Once there you can select the Ease of Access Center then select Make the Computer Easier to See option and adjust the icon and text size from there.
Thanks GB for the info.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:34 AM

Quote:
...and straight from central casting.

Taxi driver, 1940s

ebay

Gilfillan Bros?
__
Not sure where the "taxi driver" reference comes from, ER, but here's some info on Gilfillan Bros...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2007

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2034

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:44 AM

Pico and Fig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
I enjoyed this whole series very much HossC, and was especially glad to see the Pico & Figueroa branch picture – that’s the elusive Masonic Hall building I hadn’t been able to find an image of except this fuzzy sketch from the LA Times 9-29-1907 (Hudson & Munsell, architects).

The Masons leased the space to the bank starting 1-1-1921 (per LA Times 12-5-1920).

There was a dramatic and nourish robbery there in July 1929.
(LAT 7-14-1929)

They were still in there as of Oct 1950 when the bank ran an ad celebrating its 60th anniversary. Bert F. Vogel, who'd kept a revolver in his desk in 1929 (the one used to foil the robbery) was still manager!

(LAT 10-10-1950)
Yes, the Masonic Temple is elusive to find photos. I used to HAVE TO GO with my parents to their Masonic meetings and wait for them. We used to park by the Herald Express building and walk over to the Temple. I remember sitting in the library on the second floor looking out and down at the Kelly Kar Ko. across the street. I could look down on the wires for the street cars which would spark sometimes when a street car passed. In the basement was a Ballroom Dance business, I would peep in on them from time to time. Next door was a Pool Hall where I would go and buy a candy bar, nobody ever bothered me there. The elevator was manually operated and they had a man doing that during meetings or you took the stairs. Some of the lodge meeting rooms were plain but the Commandry Room was large with a pipe organ and stage. Sometimes they had entertainment other times it was lodge business. Their were rooms for large dinners which I still can remember, even faces of people that I knew. All Gone Now...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 7:17 AM

Hi, Long time Lurker. Only just joined up. I am in awe of the work you all do here.
I have been trying to find information/pictures of the Garage used in Mickey Rooney's (R.I.P) Picture 'Drive a Crooked Road'. In the picture it is identified as 'International Motors'. Looks like a real dealership specializing in European cars. Or if you've already covered it, can you direct me? Thankyou all - Cameron.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The Pico-Figueroa branch at 1301 S Figueroa was part of a larger building. This view today would be looking straight at the entrance of the Convention Center. It's well worth zooming this picture for the details.

USC Digital Library
Quote:

Closeup of portion of 1924 photo looking north on Figueroa from Pico, showing NE corner of bank/masonic building;
the Studebaker roof signs in the wider view look familiar, so maybe we've seen this photo here before:

Huntington Digital Library -- http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single.../id/3492/rec/6

And all hail Tetsu for finding the Max Linder Altadena movie house!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:21 PM

Quote:

(LAT 10-10-1950)
Thanks for posting the Masonic Hall picture and robbery story, Noircitydame, and thanks also to Hollywood Graham and Flyingwedge for the Masonic Hall follow-ups. The blade sign was edge-on in the picture I posted, so I didn't know the identity of the building.

I was especially interesting in Noircitydame's 1950 advert (above). I've been looking over the pictures and trying to fill in the gaps in my original posts.

Going through the 1950 list, I think the Atwater branch was in the building that's still at 3224 Glandale. Here's the picture I posted previously for comparison.

GSV

The Beverly-Fairfax branch wasn't on the original list. The row of shaded windows down the side of the building makes me think that the current Wells Fargo is in the old Citizens Bank building.

GSV

The Central Manufacturing District picture shows the building at the entrance to the stock yards, so I'm guessing the bank was in there. Flyingwedge posted a large picture of this building in post #19847.

I managed to track down a picture of some of the Echo-Park-Sunset Boulevard branch. I'm sure Wig-Wag will enjoy the streetcar, but I wish it wasn't blocking the building. Just to remind you, it's now a parking lot.

www.uncanny.net

Still no luck with the Eighth & Vermont branch, although I did find a "then and now" (1950/2013) for the building on the opposite corner of Eighth and Vermont - check it out here.

At least we now have a better idea what the Larchmont Boulevard looked like.

The Leimert Park branch had had quite a makeover by 1950. The large script across the front makes it look more like a Hollywood nightclub.

Clearer pictures of the Maywood branch still remain elusive.

I can't find any vintage pictures of the Morningside Park branch at 2745 W Manchester Boulevard, but I think we have a survivor. I like the detailing in the strip above the windows.

GSV

The Plaza branch is obviously not in the same location as the 1929 list. In 1950, Sunset Boulevard started at the Plaza (it has since been re-routed and renamed Cesar E Chavez Avenue). The LAPL picture below has previously been posted by MichaelRyerson. It shows N Spring Street in 1940, but the white bank building can be seen in the background to the right of Pico House.

LAPL

No address is given for the "under construction" Sheila-Eastern branch, and I can't see any matching buildings at that intersection.

There's now a Wells Fargo at 4300 Tweedy Boulevard, South Gate, but it looks like a newer building.

Surprisingly, I can't find any pictures of the Subway Terminal Office branch. The address of 439 South Hill would place it about midway between the Subway Terminal Building and Fifth Street. That whole area is now a parking lot.

I can't match any current buildings to the Third & Catalina branch at 3651 West Third Street, and I haven't found any better contemporary pictures either. I'm guessing that this branch took over from the Third-Kenmore branch which was a block west.

There's now a US Bank at the Van Nuys address, but it's a different building from the one in the 1950 advert.

It's difficult to see much detail in the West Adams & Cloverdale picture, but the box on the roof made me think that the current building was the old bank. I found an undated Time Out review which named the current business as Café Club Fais Do-Do, and contained a link to their website. The "About" page of the website includes the following quote:

"Originally a branch office of the First Citizens Savings Bank and Trust, the architecturally historic landmark that now houses Fais Do Do was constructed in 1930 at the height of the Art Deco period in Los Angeles. As Los Angeles spread west, eastern industrialists, silent filmmakers, and other early hipsters took over the tiny Mid-City area which soon became known as the Sugar Hill District.

Later in the 60's, the bank was converted into a neighborhood bar and underground club frequented by such legendary musicians as Sam Cooke, Billy Preston, and John Coltrane."

So now we know!

GSV

Looking at the 1950 picture, I don't think the current building at 5400 South Western Avenue (posted previously) is the old bank. The search continues ...

The address for the Western & 3rd branch at 273 South Western Avenue seems to place it in the black and gold Arthur Harvey designed Selig Building, previously seen in post #9652 (the post is by BifRayRock, but includes GW's original post). Two of BifRayRock's pictures show the building with Crocker Bank signs, but I didn't find any with Citizens Bank signage. Here's a reminder of the building.

GSV

By 1950, Citizens National Bank had moved slightly west on Wilshire. The picture below shows the Wilshire-Curson branch at 5780 Wilshire Boulevard. It's now gone, replaced by an office building.

miraclemilela.com

If I turn up any more Citizens National Bank pictures, I'll be sure to post them.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:13 PM

Quote:

I've just realized that the Masonic Temple was still standing in the late-70s. In an episode of CHiPs called 'Down Time' (S02E13), one of the pursuits culminates in a chase around the original Convention Center parking lot. The Masonic Temple can be seen in the background (on the right of the screengrab below).

MGM TV/Rosner TV

During the chase you can also see a Bekin's storage building that was demolished to make way for the new Convention Center. For anyone who's interested, the whole chase is on YouTube. The link below should take you straight to when they turn onto Pico:

YouTube link: CHiPs - S02E13 Scene 1

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:14 PM

[QUOTE=HossC;6538433]

The address for the Western & 3rd branch at 273 South Western Avenue seems to place it in the black and gold Arthur Harvey designed Selig Building, previously seen in post #9652 (the post is by BifRayRock, but includes GW's original post). Two of BifRayRock's pictures show the building with Crocker Bank signs, but I didn't find any with Citizens Bank signage. Here's a reminder of the building.

GSV

I drive by this building often. At the time of this picture it was a Korean clothing store. In one of the windows you can make out a sign advertising "Man Suits." You gotta love Koreatown signs.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:45 PM

I happened upon this photo, captioned:
"View north from the Cahuenga Pass in 1948. A concrete barrier is seen in the foreground while houses are on the hill in the background."

LAPL

But is that “snow” in the picture?

-----

Upon a little more research I found this one:

LAPL

It’s captioned:
"View of tracks next to the Cahuenga Pass in 1948 or 1949."

I’m guessing it was 1949 as there was an historic snowfall in Los Angeles that year and the other photo I posted is probably a year off. Since snow is a rarity in Los Angeles, you'd think it would be mentioned in a caption.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:56 PM

Monkey Island: So close and yet so far…

…and while we’re in that area:
Photo dated: November 30, 1940.

Caption: New Cahuenga Freeway
LAPL/Herald-Examiner Collection

This is the Barham overpass connecting to Cahuenga Blvd.
Monkey Island is right there…just right there a little left of
center, around the corner, possibly even some of it in the photo.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 6:16 PM

Drink Blade Runner in Bottles - 5 cents

Drink Blade Runner in Bottles 5 cents

Even after surfacely reading what this was on the site it came from I’m not sure I get it, nevertheless, when I first saw this (out of context) it appealed to me for it’s Los Angeles sensibility in both a futuristic and historical mingling of sensibilities. So I thought I’d share it here and see if anyone else reacts similarly.

From this link:
http://scholarsandrogues.com/tag/blade-runner/

P.S.: It's also made me think about our sense of noir as a period phenomenon with much nostalgia attached to it, rather than contemporary or futuristic possibilities. In fact, the filmmakers noted for their noir films and sensibilities didn't know they were making "noir" when they did it and the term (and the genre) was coined in hindsight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos