HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


    MNP Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #901  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 5:48 AM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,728

I took this April 6th 2014.


I took this April 6th 2014.


I took this April 6th 2014.


I took this April 6th 2014.
__________________
VANCOUVER | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #902  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 3:08 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
The street lights are more "oeuvré" and attractive here than in many parts of downtown, as in the second photo down, (than, for example, around the TELUS HQ.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #903  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 11:47 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,790
They're trying to promote a heritage feel to the area, rather than a modern one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #904  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 7:19 PM
martinishaker's Avatar
martinishaker martinishaker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 212
I love this building, but not sure about this glazing being installed here:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #905  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 7:20 PM
djmk's Avatar
djmk djmk is offline
victory in near
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 1,817
that guy looking down near the top of the pic is freaking me out
__________________
i have no idea what's going on
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #906  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 7:50 PM
Levelmind Levelmind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Can't believe they are so far behind installing the windows on one side of the building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #907  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 7:52 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
^^he would be tied off.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #908  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 8:09 PM
Jimby's Avatar
Jimby Jimby is offline
not a NIMBY
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,796

MNP by LUMIN8, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #909  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 8:56 PM
Infrequent Poster Infrequent Poster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinishaker View Post
I love this building, but not sure about this glazing being installed here:
I'm sure its an optical illusion, or perhaps the fact they are using (what looks to be) flat glass to negotiate a flare and a curve, but I agree it doesnt look to tidy. Some of their lines don't seem to meet up....honestly it looks like dog turd. Probably to early to judge though....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #910  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 9:27 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,790
They've got some fins on there too (so that could distort the look)
- the bit that looks a bit odd are the narrow panels near the alcove that look like they have extra mullions or lines on them.

The odd line is also seen in SFUVancouver's pic (just above the rounded corner)
- Just realized - that line appears over EACH of the rounded corners...
- Maybe it's a design element of some kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post

I took this April 6th 2014.
But the glass looks good in Jimby's pic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #911  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 4:14 AM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,429
The glass looks better in person. I'm sure it'll look good when finished
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #912  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 12:39 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Smile

Interesting, and encouraging, how, when this project was first announced, even after the design revision, reaction to it was a mixture of enthusiasm, indifference,
and negativity (due largely to the glass, which some believed should have been a different colour).
Now, this building is generating as much enthusiasm as any in the city, and that seems to include the Trump Turn !!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #913  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 3:09 AM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
Thanks for the updates.
----------
My photos, from today:



__________________
My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #914  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:23 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,790
Posted today by Yellow Fever at SSC (probably taken before Martinishaker's pic above)
i.e. before April 8th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
In the pic above, you can see that the extra mullions on the end panels are there because the corner edge
of the floor slab lines up mid-panel and the rest of the panel projects past the slab edge.
Makes it looks a bit messy in my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Strange allignment of the panels here (maybe they'll be alligned later?)
- I had noticed it in previous pics, but it is much more apparent here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post

Last edited by officedweller; Apr 12, 2014 at 5:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #915  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:36 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
🞵🞵🞵 🞵🞵🞵🞵 this thing is gorgeous
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #916  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 1:50 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
🞵🞵🞵 🞵🞵🞵🞵 this thing is gorgeous
It is indeed!!! And I hope it sets a new "benchmark" for classiness and beauty among future towers in the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #917  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:58 PM
Otis_Van Otis_Van is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 145
I find this part is a bit uninspired. From the renders, I was expecting something fluid and organic. This looks choppy and a bit cobbled together.

My photo from today...


Last edited by Otis_Van; Apr 12, 2014 at 11:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #918  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 12:22 AM
Infrequent Poster Infrequent Poster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Van View Post
I find this part is a bit uninspired. From the renders, I was expecting something fluid and organic. This looks choppy and a bit cobbled together.

My photo from today...

Square peg round hole comes to mind. I was hoping this section would improve as more glass went up but so far this does not seem to be the case. I wonder to....because that curved section has a flare at the bottom, I wonder if the weird angular reveal (where the top of the glass meets the bottom of the next) will change as the glass gets straighter. If that does end up happening, that weird reveal will sure draw the eyes to it. (for better or worse) Still love this building though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #919  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 12:47 AM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,429
I think I like it this way more versus smooth and "fluid"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #920  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 1:00 AM
BodomReaper BodomReaper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
I think I like it this way more versus smooth and "fluid"
Agreed. Smoothed curves have been part of modern architecture's vocabulary for years (can be seen on the early 2000's Douglas Jung building across the street). The distorted aesthetic is much more aggressively modern.

Last edited by BodomReaper; Apr 13, 2014 at 1:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:35 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.