HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa


    Cathedral Hill in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #261  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 5:55 PM
pressure_cooker pressure_cooker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
There is chance that I may try today. Are there any other construction projects needing photo updates?
TriBeCa please
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #262  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 8:03 PM
OTSkyline OTSkyline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,828
^ Maybe an update on the progress of cladding and windows @ Gotham?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #263  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 12:52 AM
Urbanarchit Urbanarchit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,927
*

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 4:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #264  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 9:49 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Drove by this today on way to Newly Democratic Republic of Quebec.
LOL! Makes it sound like North Korea! Places that are truly democratic don't usually see the need to put ''Democratic'' in their names!

And of course, there's also the word ''Republic'' which is right up the PQ's alley as well.

If Quebecers did renounce sovereignism this week, it's the constitutional monarchy they gave their approval to... very much the opposite of republic.

Maybe I am getting into the weeds too much here...
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #265  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 12:06 PM
S-Man S-Man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Maybe I am getting into the weeds too much here...
Nah!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #266  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 12:40 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Liking that cladding.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #267  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 2:06 PM
Boxster's Avatar
Boxster Boxster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 996
Way way too much of it !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Liking that cladding.
__________________
The Fast One!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #268  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 2:09 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
Way way too much of it !!!
I disagree, but I haven't had a chance to see the building in person. I'm not a fan of overly glassy apartment towers, especially on facades that look directly into another tower. That's apart from the heating/cooling problems that flow from too much glass.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #269  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 2:19 PM
Boxster's Avatar
Boxster Boxster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 996
The quality of glass has improved tremendously over the years to alleviate the problems you are referring to.

Glass residential buildings are "in" and you cannot imagine the views they can provide if they are in the proper location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I disagree, but I haven't had a chance to see the building in person. I'm not a fan of overly glassy apartment towers, especially on facades that look directly into another tower. That's apart from the heating/cooling problems that flow from too much glass.
__________________
The Fast One!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #270  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:19 PM
ars ars is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
Way way too much of it !!!
I agree, makes the building look kind of "cheap"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #271  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 10:25 PM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Aylmer, QC
Posts: 6,896
Finally... a sunny day! I was very happy to see the cladding in good light. It is nothing like Tribeca...it actually looks like (or possibly is) frosted glass.



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #272  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 1:39 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
The quality of glass has improved tremendously over the years to alleviate the problems you are referring to.

Glass residential buildings are "in" and you cannot imagine the views they can provide if they are in the proper location.
Actually I can, as I have lived and am presently living the experience. Windows large or not give out to the same view and after a few months anything but a world-class view becomes little more than (expensive) wallpaper. As you say, apartments with a view are "in", but it amazes me that views play such a role in many people's purchasing decisions. I will concede that the north and west facing units of this particular building will have nice views, that won't be blocked by future construction.

I guess I'm a condo contrarian.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #273  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 9:55 PM
S-Man S-Man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,639
Thermal loss through glass panes may have improved, but have the seals around those panes gotten better? So that condo fees don't skyrocket to cover the cost of replacing them every 15-20 years?

I like some glass buildings (the less boring ones), but if I had the cash for a new condo, it wouldn't be one of these. I don't want glass walls. Maybe A glass wall in one corner of the unit, but not the whole cladding of the building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #274  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 4:07 AM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is online now
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,434
12 april 2014

Shot I took from across the river today.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #275  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 4:16 AM
Urbanarchit Urbanarchit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,927
*

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 4:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #276  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 4:18 AM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Too bad it hides the only two buildings that are actually nice (The Gardens).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #277  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 4:23 AM
Urbanarchit Urbanarchit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,927
*

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 4:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #278  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:28 AM
citydwlr citydwlr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
There may be tower two to hide one of them!
Speaking of which, I was just perusing SpaceList.ca, and stumbled on some renders of tower two:









* From CBRE.ca - (PDF Flyer)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #279  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 11:57 AM
gjhall's Avatar
gjhall gjhall is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
Speaking of which, I was just perusing SpaceList.ca, and stumbled on some renders of tower two:









* From CBRE.ca - (PDF Flyer)
Anyone else weirded out by the Stalinist public art?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #280  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:24 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
a giant golden idol beside a cathedral? nothing weird about that!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.