Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain
It seems silly to respond to such a silly idea, but that's not going to happen--especially in the case of a cemetery like Holy Cross, a registered historic site with 25,000 graves, including that of a prime minister, and veterans of most major wars Canada has taken part in since the mid-19th century. Plus loads of eminent locals.
Large, centrally located cemeteries are inevitable in any historic city. I don't know what to tell you--great cities and nations don't bulldoze monuments to their dead to build new condos and office towers.
(I'm reminded of a visit to London when I was surprised by all the little cemeteries packed into the inner core, on the lands of the city's old churches. And that's not including the "magnificent Seven", seven enormous graveyards built in the 19th century in various parts of the central city.)
I'll certainly give you the parking lot--it's value as a landmark is long gone, since the grave markers and whatnot were all hauled away long ago. Bring in some archaeologists and historians to document what's underneath, and then build.
|
Yes, I certainly don't think we develop Holy Cross or any of these historical grave yards downtown.
I just thought it was the height of stupidity to be "concerned" about a development disturbing graves, when there's a freaking parking lot already laid on top of the site.
Where was CBC and Allen Robertson when the parking lot was paved?
Anyways, definitely remove any valuable historical artifacts for display or study elsewhere, but move the damn proposal forward.