Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology
I'm fine with this too, the extra lanes are all toll anyway, that stretch of highway looks horrible. The way the I-25 corridor ended up looking makes me optimistic that it will make a big difference in the area. Plus the toll lanes being all the extra capacity is pretty much the definition of making driving a little less convenient. Either sit in congested lanes, pay for the toll lanes or get an RTD pass. Assuming, of course that you're white, rich, or young enough for the bouncers to let you onto the train.
IF the highway becomes obsolete the toll lanes can be converted into BRT and the regular lanes can be converted to toll anyway. It's a perfect BRT corridor anyway - so just think of it as anticipating that future need.
|
Imagine that CDOT could not get the $1.8 billion, which due to I-70 being a Federal Interstate, has been far easier for CDOT to do than get additional monies for US 36....
What is the simplest solution? Keep things as they are.
What is a simple cheap solution? Eliminate on/off ramps at Brighton Blvd, Vasquez, and possibly Washington and use the lanes on I-70 that are designed for the on/off ramps as primary lanes. This would effectively increase the width of the freeway by 2 lanes in critical segments.
Next improvement
Improve I-270 by widening it to 4 lanes x2. Improve the Quebec Street- I-270 interchange to provide unhindered access onto west I-70. Improve the access between I-76, I-25, and, I-270.
But these alternatives do not fit CDOT orthodoxy which based upon it's history with the Federal Government has been to maximize Federal monies and to build as big a project that can be significantly subsidized with such monies.
This feeds the long established CDOT network of engineers, and, contractors with which CDOT has had multigenerational relationships.
We are talking about a lot of money, here. This the largest plum for the local highway construction industry in a generation.
(the covered freeway segment just is just construction frosting on the cake.)