HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2061  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 8:31 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,361
Totally agree on the double standard. Just following what the policy is right now. I don't see clearing windrows in back lanes as feasible. So maybe Joe suburbs should clear their driveways. Trust me, I have a back lane and know the struggle. I came home after Christmas holidays to a two foot high ice ridge at 10pm on a Sunday night. Not fun. At the same time I grew up with a front drive and knew the joys of the loader clearing it for me!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2062  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 8:39 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is online now
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,928
^ same deal.

Grew up with the front loaders clearing our driveway and everyone else on the street.

Then moved to Wolseley and was not pleasantly surprised with the backlane snow clearing practices.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2063  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 9:18 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
It's been a difficult winter here in many respects, especially in the snow clearing area. We can also discuss ruts, more than the usual amount of pot holes, due to the freeze/thaw cycle, freezing water lines, record cold temps, high snow fall amounts....... and so on..

I here it's going to be a great summer.
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2064  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 10:06 PM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,843
At times I think its the way the city does it that causes the problems.

I have been in the same house for 50 years (inherited my parents house) and remember the city of East Kildonan doing the back lanes with a V-Plow on their Cat Loader.

The V-plow as I remember did not leave the pile as high as doing it the current way with a bucket.

It seemed to push a more distributed lower snow covering onto the back pad behind the garage making it easier to move.

I was lucky this year that my neighbor brought his bobcat home from the shop a few times and cleaned up our section of the lane after the city came down. I have an 8 foot pile of snow in my back yard fence at the lane from that. Other people that hired a loader and don't have yard space had them put it down on Roch by Miles Mac.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2065  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 10:13 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
It seems to me that the City is doing a pretty good job in keeping up with the potholes this year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2066  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 12:00 AM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,843
Does anybody know if the city has brought in snow dragon snowmelters (or equivalent brand) in recent memory to test out?

I am aware that larger cities like Toronto, Minneapolis, Chicago and New York city use portable melters instead of trucking to snow dumps
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2067  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:32 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
Reg: Posters comment response # 1596 Retail Thread:

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_complex
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2068  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:42 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Good job hiding that over here. Coward.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2069  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:44 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Good job hiding that over here. Coward.
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2070  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 12:31 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Not all opinions are of equal merit. They can't be. If that was so, we could just as easily receive valid medical advice from insane homeless people.

"It hurts when I pee! "
"I blame the Lizard People!!! Have you tried rubbing bleach on it?!?!"

Just, no.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2071  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:44 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is online now
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
Yo river man stop it seriously UR getting annoying 1 more and I will give u a time out.....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2072  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 12:10 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Always picking on me Adrian, not the ones actually causing the trouble. What's wrong with you?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2073  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 7:46 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is online now
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
Aww right...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2074  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:07 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
I have a coworker who acts like that. He comes into the back room bragging about how another co-worker fucked up and how he never fucks up. I caught him make a mistake while he was bragging about that and instantly freaks out and acts like everything bad is his fault and I'm victimizing him. (He called me a bully; he's the one who always gets in my face and calls me a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 if I call him out on something.) He said I kicked him while he was down, by running a routine efficiency test on him which he failed while bragging about how great he was at his job. And this happens, like, every day.

He's a right-wing Christian, btw. I told him I don't believe in God and he acted like I just told him I fucked his mother. I had to get management involved in that dispute as well. The verdict? I'm not allowed to talk about politics, religion, economics, the state of policing in the world, hiring policies of the company, or any personnel scheduling around him. This is after overhauling personnel scheduling and lot coding to meet his personal whims. At this point I've pretty much stopped talking to him, which is difficult because I am him supervisor.

Anyway, I bring this up because he has a nasty habit of accusing me of "always picking on him, not the ones actually causing the trouble."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2075  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:10 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
I do pick on him a little bit though. Today he was reading about how to remain calm at work (a result of his daily hour-long calm-the-🞵🞵🞵🞵-down talks with the boss) and after explaining to me the parts of the brain responsible for controlling mood and temper, I suggested that he work use meditation to "align his shaka-khans". He didn't notice that I said the wrong word, just instantly refuted it with something about the hypothalamus.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2076  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 3:40 PM
alittle1 alittle1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I do pick on him a little bit though. Today he was reading about how to remain calm at work (a result of his daily hour-long calm-the-🞵🞵🞵🞵-down talks with the boss) and after explaining to me the parts of the brain responsible for controlling mood and temper, I suggested that he work use meditation to "align his shaka-khans". He didn't notice that I said the wrong word, just instantly refuted it with something about the hypothalamus.
Perhaps he should move here:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2077  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 12:43 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
He needs a little bit more than just traffic calming.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2078  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 4:11 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is online now
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2079  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 11:33 AM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
River Heights on Cambridge St has one of the green traffic calming signs posted earlier, just before Academy Rd.
You have the sign 1st than apprx: 20 meters later a slow to yellow 30km sign with a good sized speed bump accompanying it.

This I assume meaning a traffic calmed neighborhood.
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2080  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 3:33 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,057
Remember the days when if you crossed the Hell's Angels they would break your knees or burn down your business. I guess now they just sue you for "emotional distress, insomnia, anxiety and depression". What is the world coming to?

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/Hells+Angels+former+mining+boss/9722352/story.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.