HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


    Telus Garden Residential Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1201  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 7:50 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Was just in Van last week for work, this thing looks good. Sure it could have used a few more floors, but I'll take the quality of materials used here over a couple more floors any day.

This building is befitting of a large firms headquarters and I think it will add a great vibe and cachet to the city once complete.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1202  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 1:56 AM
Bcasey25raptor's Avatar
Bcasey25raptor Bcasey25raptor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver Suburbs
Posts: 2,886
I took some photos


The box protruding out of the side looks strange to me but I kind of like it.







Sorry for the picture quality, I was using my Nexus 4.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1203  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 4:32 AM
axestone's Avatar
axestone axestone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
The glass looks sea foam green. Why in the world would they do that?
Man, again?!

I was just over at the 999 Seymour page and someone (maybe it was you?) was complaining about "sea foam" glass. I'm just going to repeat one more time for those that don't know that the so-called "sea foam" green is clear glass — the green tinge is the tint that typical "clear" glass has due to the tint caused my metals/minerals in the glass.

Sure I'm new here, but I have to say that I'm kinda surprised that a lot of people here don't know what "clear" glass looks like.

Please don't say that you would prefer it to be blue, grey, brown or black???

Now THAT would be cringe-worthy.

Last edited by axestone; Mar 7, 2014 at 4:33 AM. Reason: Oh yeah, forgot to say that I think the building is looking pretty damn interesting!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1204  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 7:51 AM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by axestone View Post
Man, again?!

I was just over at the 999 Seymour page and someone (maybe it was you?) was complaining about "sea foam" glass. I'm just going to repeat one more time for those that don't know that the so-called "sea foam" green is clear glass — the green tinge is the tint that typical "clear" glass has due to the tint caused my metals/minerals in the glass.

Sure I'm new here, but I have to say that I'm kinda surprised that a lot of people here don't know what "clear" glass looks like.

Please don't say that you would prefer it to be blue, grey, brown or black???

Now THAT would be cringe-worthy.
Yes, many of us are sick and tired of seeing clear glass that tends to make a building look messy due to what's shown inside. Hence we love to see more darker tinted windows for skyscrapers in Vancouver. However, I also understand that for a city that is so dark and gloomy for most parts of the year, building dwellers would prefer more light entering their living or working space. Hence seafoam glass is a preferred option, especially for condos.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1205  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 8:19 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant - The New Downtown South
Posts: 8,180
Isn't sea-foam green glass the cheapest available glass? Since when do office towers use this type of glass. This building reminds me of the Cross Roads office building at Broadway and Cambie.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1206  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 4:50 PM
phesto phesto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: yvr/bwi
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Yes, many of us are sick and tired of seeing clear glass that tends to make a building look messy due to what's shown inside. Hence we love to see more darker tinted windows for skyscrapers in Vancouver. However, I also understand that for a city that is so dark and gloomy for most parts of the year, building dwellers would prefer more light entering their living or working space. Hence seafoam glass is a preferred option, especially for condos.
It's not the "building dwellers", it's the City of Vancouver which has generally disapproved of dark or reflective glass since the late 90's.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1207  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 5:38 PM
axestone's Avatar
axestone axestone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Yes, many of us are sick and tired of seeing clear glass that tends to make a building look messy due to what's shown inside. Hence we love to see more darker tinted windows for skyscrapers in Vancouver. However, I also understand that for a city that is so dark and gloomy for most parts of the year, building dwellers would prefer more light entering their living or working space. Hence seafoam glass is a preferred option, especially for condos.
Thanks for the explanation. I see what you mean about darker glass for commercial towers.

I might add that I'm at the airport right now and noticed actual "sea foam" coloured glass on the hotel with a mix of clear glass. I gotta say, when viewed beside clear glass, the sea foam made me throw up in my mouth a little.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1208  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 6:12 PM
djmk's Avatar
djmk djmk is offline
victory in near
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
I took some photos



nice and thanks

what are those platforms inside the box for?
__________________
i have no idea what's going on
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1209  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 9:02 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
nice and thanks

what are those platforms inside the box for?
In Built Form's pics of the model, they look like conference rooms with lounges on top:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5641427&postcount=689
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1210  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 9:53 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
It's not the "building dwellers", it's the City of Vancouver which has generally disapproved of dark or reflective glass since the late 90's.
Paternalistic reaction from the City like many other issues? Is this really an official policy like the view cones?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1211  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 9:56 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by axestone View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I see what you mean about darker glass for commercial towers.

I might add that I'm at the airport right now and noticed actual "sea foam" coloured glass on the hotel with a mix of clear glass. I gotta say, when viewed beside clear glass, the sea foam made me throw up in my mouth a little.
You are welcome buddy. Sometimes simple words alone can iron out misunderstandings.

But glad that you can now see what seafoam is all about. Welcome to the club, lol!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1212  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 11:14 PM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
About to lose the view of the library's green roof - my photo, from today:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1213  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 1:23 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
I have to admit I was premature in my former judgement of TELUS HQ. It is lower than the other buildings on Georgia, but,
as someone said, height isn't everything. In height, it sort of "steps down" toward the library, and provides a going-down-line street alignment,
heralding the end of the very central CBD, where the buildings are taller.
And it IS unusual and interesting, for sure
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1214  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 11:10 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
The fins are really going to make the facade look "busy".
There's a lot more surface than for the Sears reno - so I think the impact of the fins will be greater (despite them being glass).

From Yellow Fever March 9, 2014:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1215  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:04 AM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
Fins going up on the West facade - my photos, from today:






Last edited by Locked In; Mar 15, 2014 at 12:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1216  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:20 AM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,728
Great photos.
__________________
VANCOUVER | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1217  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 1:04 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
Thanks.
With the scaffolding removed, you get a better idea of what that NW corner box will look like.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1218  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 2:11 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is offline
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,749
Love the view in the last two pictures, Locked In. Olympic Village is really starting to demand your attention.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1219  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 4:16 AM
NewWester NewWester is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 353
And look at the presence of Metrotown in the background, like a little city unto itself
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1220  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 8:11 PM
uzi's Avatar
uzi uzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,647
is that Surrey or Burnaby in the background?
__________________
RESPECT FOR EVERYONE
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:40 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.