HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1461  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 9:17 PM
seventwenty's Avatar
seventwenty seventwenty is offline
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Soon to be banned
Posts: 1,697
The Avs didn't make any big trade deadline deals. Eaves to Nashville for Legwand. (I'll just ignore that Holland's selling a large chunk of the Wings' future by trading Jarnkrok).

So between the Rox lucky to win 70, the US defense getting shredded by the Ukraine, and Ken 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 Holland, my summer's gonna suckkkkk.
__________________
The happy & obtuse bro.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Last edited by seventwenty; Mar 5, 2014 at 9:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1462  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 9:51 PM
wong21fr's Avatar
wong21fr wong21fr is offline
Reluctant Hobbesian
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
The Avs didn't make any big trade deadline deals. Eaves to Nashville for Legwand. (I'll just ignore that Holland's selling a large chunk of the Wings' future by trading Jarnkrok).

So between the Rox lucky to win 70, the US defense getting shredded by the Ukraine, and Ken 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 Holland, my summer's gonna suckkkkk.
You can always join Bunt's LARP crew: the South Federal Posse.
__________________
"You don't strike, you just go to work everyday and do your job real half-ass. That's the American way!" -Homer Simpson

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1463  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 10:03 PM
seventwenty's Avatar
seventwenty seventwenty is offline
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Soon to be banned
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
You can always join Bunt's LARP crew: the South Federal Posse.
Depends. Can I get drunk and Red Wedding everyone?
__________________
The happy & obtuse bro.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1464  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 11:08 PM
seventwenty's Avatar
seventwenty seventwenty is offline
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Soon to be banned
Posts: 1,697
TIme to play subway! http://dinopoloclub.com/minimetro/
__________________
The happy & obtuse bro.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1465  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 11:11 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
The Avs didn't make any big trade deadline deals. Eaves to Nashville for Legwand. (I'll just ignore that Holland's selling a large chunk of the Wings' future by trading Jarnkrok).

So between the Rox lucky to win 70, the US defense getting shredded by the Ukraine, and Ken 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 Holland, my summer's gonna suckkkkk.
Wait, you're a Red Wings fan? Well good. I hope your summer 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1466  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 11:12 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
You can always join Bunt's LARP crew: the South Federal Posse.
I had to google this. I am just that cool.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1467  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:08 AM
seventwenty's Avatar
seventwenty seventwenty is offline
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Soon to be banned
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Wait, you're a Red Wings fan? Well good. I hope your summer 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵.
Of course. I like my hockey like I like my hospitals: Swedish.
__________________
The happy & obtuse bro.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Last edited by seventwenty; Mar 6, 2014 at 7:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1468  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:24 AM
The Dirt The Dirt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,215
I'd like to propose a state bill that makes micro-cities within metropolitan areas, like Sheridan and Lakeside, illegal and up for annexation to the highest bidding neighboring city. Census designated places like Federal Heights would also have to auto-incorporate into neighboring cities. Hell, maybe even make it so that enclaves like Glendale have to incorporate into their surrounding city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1469  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:28 AM
texcolo's Avatar
texcolo texcolo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Posts: 3,919
I wouldn't wish Federal Heights on anyone.
__________________
"I am literally grasping at straws." - Bob Belcher
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1470  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:33 PM
Wizened Variations's Avatar
Wizened Variations Wizened Variations is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
I'd like to propose a state bill that makes micro-cities within metropolitan areas, like Sheridan and Lakeside, illegal and up for annexation to the highest bidding neighboring city. Census designated places like Federal Heights would also have to auto-incorporate into neighboring cities. Hell, maybe even make it so that enclaves like Glendale have to incorporate into their surrounding city.
All depends on how much money would flow in to the annexing city versus how much would flow out.

Sheridan and Federal Heights would be financial sumps. Lakeside, less so but still a net tax taker instead of a net tax giver. I suspect Glendale would be a net cash positive.
__________________
Good read on relationship between increasing number of freeway lanes and traffic

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1471  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:00 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
Lakeside, less so but still a net tax taker instead of a net tax giver. I suspect Glendale would be a net cash positive.
How do you figure? Lakeside would be a huge pickup - what city wouldn't, with a Walmart and only 10 citizens to care for. Here too, you couldn't be more wrong.

Glendale too, obviously, because of the significant commercial tax base.

Although, theoretically, since local government are not permitted to run deficits, any whole jurisdiction you pick will be revenue neutral, so long as they are content to live with the same level of services they receive today.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1472  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:11 PM
Wizened Variations's Avatar
Wizened Variations Wizened Variations is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
How do you figure? Lakeside would be a huge pickup - what city wouldn't, with a Walmart and only 10 citizens to care for. Here too, you couldn't be more wrong.

Glendale too, obviously, because of the significant commercial tax base.

Although, theoretically, since local government are not permitted to run deficits, any whole jurisdiction you pick will be revenue neutral, so long as they are content to live with the same level of services they receive today.
Sheridan is a basket case. Lakeside? Less so. Besides, if a poorer city based upon aspects like student/school budget ratio is incorporated into a city with a higher per student tax, IMO, the poorer city would equalize to the higher tax city's values (this a net outflow to the richer city).

Walmart is not a particularly good social citizen. I am not sure that Walmart, is much of a net positive for Lakeside. I would curious to know what the sales tax is for Lakeside, and, I would also be curious about any tax abatements Walmart gets, and, for how long. Walmart, historically, has been very good at extracting it's pound of flesh.
__________________
Good read on relationship between increasing number of freeway lanes and traffic

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1473  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:15 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
You were talking about money. Municipal boundaries don't necessarily affect school taxes, county boundaries do. I don't care who's a good social citizen, we're talking about budgets. There is no getting around the fact that every municipality in Colorado has a balanced budget. So there is no good reason, all other things being equal, that they couldn't switch the name on the letterhead and still be revenue neutral.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1474  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 11:58 PM
Plaid Shirts Plaid Shirts is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 194
Here in Utah the majority of us hate that the Real Salt Lake stadium is located in a suburb. I am wondering why the Rapids' stadium is also located far from the downtown area. Also I'm curious how you Colorado people feel about its location.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1475  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 12:08 AM
afrench afrench is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Shirts View Post
Here in Utah the majority of us hate that the Real Salt Lake stadium is located in a suburb. I am wondering why the Rapids' stadium is also located far from the downtown area. Also I'm curious how you Colorado people feel about its location.
Not ideal in the least. Pretty damn far from light rail and frequent bus service, nevermind the fact that it's surrounded by nothingness. For a car-less person like me in Lakewood, either my roommates come with to drive or it's not worth the probably 2-hour 2 hour and 8 minute trip each way out to Commerce City, where the stadium is.

I wouldn't demand the stadium be downtown (not that it wouldn't be amazing), but I'd love to be able to get there by rail.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1476  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 12:14 AM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrench View Post
Not ideal in the least. Pretty damn far from light rail and frequent bus service, nevermind the fact that it's surrounded by nothingness. For a car-less person like me in Lakewood, either my roommates come with to drive or it's not worth the probably 2-hour 2 hour and 8 minute trip each way out to Commerce City, where the stadium is.

I wouldn't demand the stadium be downtown (not that it wouldn't be amazing), but I'd love to be able to get there by rail.
Yeah but enough of the downtown bars run drunk-buses to/from games, that it works as well as transit would.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1477  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 12:18 AM
afrench afrench is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Yeah but enough of the downtown bars run drunk-buses to/from games, that it works as well as transit would.
WHAT!

Clearly, I'm not enough of a fan. I'll have to catch me one of these buses.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1478  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 12:19 AM
Plaid Shirts Plaid Shirts is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Yeah but enough of the downtown bars run drunk-buses to/from games, that it works as well as transit would.
The problem I see holder back RSL and the Rapids is the fan atmosphere and the relationship the soccer club and city have. Seattle Sounders and Portland Timber fans are the best. It's not a coincidence that both stadiums are located in their respective downtowns.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1479  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 12:25 AM
afrench afrench is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Shirts View Post
The problem I see holder back RSL and the Rapids is the fan atmosphere and the relationship the soccer club and city have. Seattle Sounders and Portland Timber fans are the best. It's not a coincidence that both stadiums are located in their respective downtowns.
There's a lot to be said for being able to see the stadium and games from downtown, where people will be out and about. Nobody goes out to the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 without purpose.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1480  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 12:33 AM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrench View Post
WHAT!

Clearly, I'm not enough of a fan. I'll have to catch me one of these buses.
Oh yes, British Bulldog before games, pre-drink, and ride their bus out there. Check it out. Not sure they do it for all games, you'd have to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Shirts View Post
The problem I see holder back RSL and the Rapids is the fan atmosphere and the relationship the soccer club and city have. Seattle Sounders and Portland Timber fans are the best. It's not a coincidence that both stadiums are located in their respective downtowns.
Part of that has to do with demographics I would say. Soccer supporters are Hispanic and suburban soccer families. Both of those demographics live in the suburbs (or not in the core at least). The folks in Denver-proper, the wealthy white yuppy crowd, you're more likely to find baseball and football (that's more universal) fans. I don't know many folks who care about the Rapids.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:46 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.