I find it stupid the articles talk about the price of city hall costing so much. What they fail to add is the price includes the public parkade and civic plaza added in this.
It is certainly newer and has benefits being a more modern city hall from a design and logistics/infrastructure standpoint. But Vancouver City hall is kind of an icon and architectural throw back to the past which is nice. I like the look of the old Vancouver city hall for the age of the city.
and Vancouver has long term plans to redevelop the block bounded by Broadway, Yukon, 10th and Cambie. I'd expect a friendly open space design whenever that gets built.
It is certainly newer and has benefits being a more modern city hall from a design and logistics/infrastructure standpoint. But Vancouver City hall is kind of an icon and architectural throw back to the past which is nice. I like the look of the old Vancouver city hall for the age of the city.
and Vancouver has long term plans to redevelop the block bounded by Broadway, Yukon, 10th and Cambie. I'd expect a friendly open space design whenever that gets built.
If only the design can top that of Surrey's City Hall or New Westminster's Civic Centre.
Maybe I had too high of a hope that this would be executed flawlessly, but I thought that the whole plaza, from the library entrance to the city hall entrance, would be flush and step-free.
It probably was never in the design but it seems to be a bit devoid of well, anything green doesn't it? Almost looks to me like a giant parking lot without a single tree, planter, heck fountain, etc. Probably by design and if there are more people around it will look better, but I'm not fully digging it yet.
There is a coffeeshop inside the library, and two coffeeshops underneath the Skytrain Platform. So there will probably be a few outdoor seatings and tables.
I think the plaza outside the mall is quite nice and well used.
I am not the biggest fan of the library (I much prefer the branches in Guildford, Semiahmoo, Fleetwood, Ocean Park, even Newton). It just seems so big and devoid of anything. Not at all inviting.
However, now that the front is open, I will likely go there more frequently. The library is now just across the street from the 96B Bus Stop.