HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations



Related Pages:  • Chicago Projects & Construction Forum  • Chicago Highrise Developments Map


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #13061  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 1:58 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 14,941
Godfrey - Feb 14

     
     
  #13062  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 4:36 PM
Mikemak27's Avatar
Mikemak27 Mikemak27 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 245
Th good folks at The Chicago Architecture Blog have some new info and renderings on the Fifeld Apartment Tower proposed at Chesnut and Orleans.

http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info/201...ets-on-fifields-new-cabrini-green-tower/
     
     
  #13063  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 5:41 PM
Koodoo25's Avatar
Koodoo25 Koodoo25 is offline
Illustrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 185
Northwestern Outpatient Pavilion

2/16/14
     
     
  #13064  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 8:26 PM
Tom In Chicago's Avatar
Tom In Chicago Tom In Chicago is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sick City
Posts: 7,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by nergie View Post
IIRC wasn't the vacant lot supposed to be the location of the Mandarian Oriental Hotel?
No. . . that was supposed to be built along Stetson at Lake Street. . . welcome to the neighborhood. . .

. . .
     
     
  #13065  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 10:50 PM
Bambi's Avatar
Bambi Bambi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
^Much agreed. They are doing a great job with addressing the awkwardness of the multiple levels in Lake Shore East too. I'm very excited to see what that narrow lot between the Aqua podium and BCBS Building will be. I forgot if anything was ever planned there. Anyone recall?


What a transformation. A golf course, to almost a fully formed skyscraper neighborhood (one pretty iconic-Aqua), in 20 years. Lots of open land yet for several more large projects! Let's see what the next 20 years hold for Lake Shore East!
Golf course? That land was originally a dump -- literally, Magellan has really done their work, I'm excited to see them pair up with Heinz to do the Wolf Point Development.
     
     
  #13066  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 11:14 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Golf course? That land was originally a dump -- literally, Magellan has really done their work,
it wasn't a dump when magellan got control of the land. it was a 9-hole golf coruse:


source: http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000N1wBzQwTWz4/s/900/900/Swissotel-Wacker-46973.jpg


and in an earlier life, it was a massive rail yard for the illinois central railroad:


source: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VBpb3jB8Dhc/UMN9LoyqqrI/AAAAAAAADcw/ncYuYmZwGRY/s640/Sitepic.jpg
     
     
  #13067  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 12:17 AM
nergie nergie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
No. . . that was supposed to be built along Stetson at Lake Street. . . welcome to the neighborhood. . .

. . .
Cheers
     
     
  #13068  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 1:47 AM
george's Avatar
george george is offline
dream fast
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east village, chicago
Posts: 3,291
I played those par 3, 9 holes. ^Probably one of the most unique 9 holes with great views. The 9th hole was an almost island green, can be seen in that shot. Not to mention the driving range. A classic experience.
     
     
  #13069  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 1:55 AM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 14,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
I played those par 3, 9 holes. ^Probably one of the most unique 9 holes with great views. The 9th hole was an almost island green, can be seen in that shot. Not to mention the driving range. A classic experience.
It was pretty cool as tracks and warehouses back in the day - all you could see was the bottom of LSD and Standard Oil.
     
     
  #13070  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 2:56 AM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 14,941
Catalyst - Feb 14







     
     
  #13071  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 5:07 PM
Bambi's Avatar
Bambi Bambi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
it wasn't a dump when magellan got control of the land. it was a 9-hole golf coruse:


source: http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000N1wBzQwTWz4/s/900/900/Swissotel-Wacker-46973.jpg


and in an earlier life, it was a massive rail yard for the illinois central railroad:


source: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VBpb3jB8Dhc/UMN9LoyqqrI/AAAAAAAADcw/ncYuYmZwGRY/s640/Sitepic.jpg
Technically at one point or another it was all a dump created and established by George Streeter, but the railyard was the dump-like wasteland I was referring to.
     
     
  #13072  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 5:11 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
^^^ Thanks for the photo updates, Harry. I'm really liking how Catalyst is turning out. Nice work by Brininstool and Lynch here. I suppose this is their first major project, post-short-lived bKL experiment.

And did we ever dodge a nuclear ICBM by having a new developer and architect take over this one! (previously it was hack/hack team of Gary Rosenberg and the always aesthetically-challenged Lucien Lagrange)
     
     
  #13073  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 5:19 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Technically at one point or another it was all a dump created and established by George Streeter, but the railyard was the dump-like wasteland I was referring to.
Streeter had nothing to do with anything south of the river, his illegal land selling schemes were all for lakefront property north of the river mouth. the land the old IC railyard sat on (present day lakeshore east) was lakefill that was put there specifically by the IC so that they could have a massive rail yard at the river mouth.
     
     
  #13074  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 5:30 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
According to my newest map (https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zts0oihWtDjk.kBT6CjkYv1Tw), here's what I have

* 100 W Monroe - 257 room Hyatt. Under construction
* 11 S Monroe - 380 room Residence Inn by Marriott. Under construction
* Franklin & Calhoun - 206 rooms, 18 stories of new building. Under construction/site prep

Then there's more not far away with the London Guarantee Building, new 27 story Hilton Garden Inn, Virgin Hotel, Atlantic Bank Building, Chicago Athletic Building. Then there's some more in River North like the Giordano's building, the office building on Rush & Erie, the new Godfrey Hotel, etc.

So, the major one amongst that cluster in the Central Loop (11 S LaSalle I think you meant) that is missing is the planned Kimpton conversion at 39 S. LaSalle, see linked-to article from Crain's. Not sure exactly how advanced plans are/when renovation is planned to begin, but I hope soon!

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/2...hotels-see-money-in-the-banking-district
     
     
  #13075  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 7:06 PM
Rizzo Rizzo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,296
Definitely was not a dump, but did it look like a dump? Kind of.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uicdigital/6144414307/

There's actually another photo somewhere at ground level with a couple abandoned boxcars and overgrown grass with some patches of trash. I'm sure it collected all sorts of discarded items but I would say that its underutilized state was a minor moment on this site's history. Lots of other photos show it as a busy railyard, and the golf course obviously.

Funny thing is how relatives of mine that haven't been to Chicago in ages ask me if I played on that golf course. Quite the look of confusion on their faces when I tell them it's been long occupied by towers.
     
     
  #13076  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 8:38 PM
intrepidDesign's Avatar
intrepidDesign intrepidDesign is offline
Windy City Dan
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 509
Arkadia

On a day like today, I just had to take a long lunch walk around the neighborhood.

     
     
  #13077  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 1:28 AM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CHI/MRY
Posts: 4,819
^^Great pic, thanks

I wish that proposed tower to the north of Skybridge (with the funky rooftop) would move forward; the oh-so-slightly angled one..
     
     
  #13078  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 2:13 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 17,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Streeter had nothing to do with anything south of the river, his illegal land selling schemes were all for lakefront property north of the river mouth. the land the old IC railyard sat on (present day lakeshore east) was lakefill that was put there specifically by the IC so that they could have a massive rail yard at the river mouth.
Part of the lakefill (between Michigan and Stetson roughly) was actually construction debris from the 1873 fire. IIRC most of the soil came from lake dredging though.
     
     
  #13079  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 3:06 AM
Ch.G, Ch.G's Avatar
Ch.G, Ch.G Ch.G, Ch.G is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Definitely was not a dump, but did it look like a dump? Kind of.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uicdigital/6144414307/

There's actually another photo somewhere at ground level with a couple abandoned boxcars and overgrown grass with some patches of trash. I'm sure it collected all sorts of discarded items but I would say that its underutilized state was a minor moment on this site's history. Lots of other photos show it as a busy railyard, and the golf course obviously.

Funny thing is how relatives of mine that haven't been to Chicago in ages ask me if I played on that golf course. Quite the look of confusion on their faces when I tell them it's been long occupied by towers.
Whoa, the difference is pretty staggering.
     
     
  #13080  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 4:47 AM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
So, the major one amongst that cluster in the Central Loop (11 S LaSalle I think you meant) that is missing is the planned Kimpton conversion at 39 S. LaSalle, see linked-to article from Crain's. Not sure exactly how advanced plans are/when renovation is planned to begin, but I hope soon!

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/2...hotels-see-money-in-the-banking-district
Yep, definitely meant 11 S LaSalle. I'll need to add the one at 39 S LaSalle. Thanks! I realized that it was that one which has had street level scaffolding up for a few weeks and not 11 S LaSalle. Though I'm sure 11 S LaSalle has had some up too.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:10 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.