HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9761  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 3:10 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I don't think of Toronto as vacation property material. I think Montreal, Halifax, Victoria or Quebec City would be more exciting. Or if you're into resort living that includes architectural excellence, try Friday Harbour near Barrie.
Pretty doesn't excite me. For what Canada offers, I think Toronto is a the choice for an urban vacation spot. It has everything imaginable.
     
     
  #9762  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 3:24 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
I agree, there is a lot to say for Toronto as a vacation spot.

What it lacks in natural beauty it more than makes up for in urbanity and "things to do"
     
     
  #9763  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 4:19 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
If that is indeed the case about Toronto, guys, then people out there in the world need to hear more about it I think.
     
     
  #9764  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 4:53 PM
uzi's Avatar
uzi uzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
The Chinese economy is based largelly on an insane real estate bubble that has them building whole empty cities. There's a lot of very scared economists out there.
China and India are the only coubtries in the world which have increased the production In each and every sector and department, from construction to manufacturing of skyscrapers, auto mobiles, clothes, technology mining etc. where as other countries have increased manufacturing in one department so decrease manufacturing in another department.
     
     
  #9765  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 4:57 PM
uzi's Avatar
uzi uzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,647
just to let you know, Toronto is the 5th livable city on earth and 10th innovative city and the crime is also low as compare to other cities like NYC, Chicago, L.A., Montreal etc. its not a bad place to live and the main reason to live in Toronto is CN tower. if you have CN tower what else do you need.
     
     
  #9766  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:13 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
just to let you know, Toronto is the 5th livable city on earth and 10th innovative city and the crime is also low as compare to other cities like NYC, Chicago, L.A., Montreal etc. its not a bad place to live and the main reason to live in Toronto is CN tower. if you have CN tower what else do you need.
The main reason to live in Toronto is the CN Tower !?!?

Is the crime rate in Toronto really lower than in Montreal ? If so, the difference must be negligible.
     
     
  #9767  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:24 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
I think uzi, is just really into skyscrapers.
     
     
  #9768  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:26 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If that is indeed the case about Toronto, guys, then people out there in the world need to hear more about it I think.

Toronto doesn't excel at one thing or another. It probably won't take the top spot on any list but, it will be on every conceivably list. It has an unmatched diversity of urban oriented things to do. It's my opinion. No need to get all self conscious and stupid. C'mon, the city is barely able to keep up with growth as is.
     
     
  #9769  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:30 PM
rbt rbt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
... and the main reason to live in Toronto is CN tower. if you have CN tower what else do you need.
A CN Tower observation platform so you clearly observe the tower. Also, a weather protection dome. Sometimes during low clouds part of the tower becomes shrouded and difficult to see.

In fact, SkyDome should have been built with CN Tower in the middle and tall enough that the closed roof would protect the tower and the 100k tower observers from the weather. During good weather the roof collapses enough that the chosen few may go up the tower and observe the great city from within.
     
     
  #9770  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:37 PM
uzi's Avatar
uzi uzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Is the crime rate in Toronto really lower than in Montreal ? If so, the difference must be negligible.

last year I read an article on msn.ca. it was about top 10 crime cities in Canada and Montreal made the list. Toronto wasn't in the list.
     
     
  #9771  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:45 PM
uzi's Avatar
uzi uzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I think uzi, is just really into skyscrapers.
Skyscrapers, Photography, cars and business are my only interest.
     
     
  #9772  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:46 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
last year I read an article on msn.ca. it was about top 10 crime cities in Canada and Montreal made the list. Toronto wasn't in the list.
Must have something to do with the CN tower I guess
     
     
  #9773  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:49 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
last year I read an article on msn.ca. it was about top 10 crime cities in Canada and Montreal made the list. Toronto wasn't in the list.
It can vary from one year to the next. One year Toronto's crime rate is lower, next year it can be Montreal's. Neither city is significantly more dangerous than the other.
     
     
  #9774  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:01 PM
flipv's Avatar
flipv flipv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If that is indeed the case about Toronto, guys, then people out there in the world need to hear more about it I think.
Which is why Toronto receives far more overnight tourists than Montreal who spend a significant amount of money (eclipsing Montreal by a large amount)...

http://blog.euromonitor.com/2014/01/euromonitor-internationals-top-city-destinations-ranking.html

http://insights.mastercard.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Mastercard_GDCI_Final_V4.pdf

1 New York 11.5 mil
2 Los Angeles 4.8 mil
3 Miami 3.9 mil
4 Toronto 3.4 mil
5 Vancouver 3.4 mil
6 San Francisco 3.0 mil
7 Washington 2.3 mil
8 Chicago 2.2 mil
9 Montreal 2.0 mil
10 Boston 1.6 mil
     
     
  #9775  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:01 PM
uzi's Avatar
uzi uzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,647
I am talking about November 2013 its only been 3 months. how the crime rate changes in 3 months. yeah there is crime in Toronto but less or may be both have same kind of crime anyways both are good places to live but my problem is French I cant speak French. that's why I chose Toronto.
     
     
  #9776  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:21 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
Which is why Toronto receives far more overnight tourists than Montreal who spend a significant amount of money (eclipsing Montreal by a large amount)...

http://blog.euromonitor.com/2014/01/euromonitor-internationals-top-city-destinations-ranking.html

http://insights.mastercard.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Mastercard_GDCI_Final_V4.pdf

1 New York 11.5 mil
2 Los Angeles 4.8 mil
3 Miami 3.9 mil
4 Toronto 3.4 mil
5 Vancouver 3.4 mil
6 San Francisco 3.0 mil
7 Washington 2.3 mil
8 Chicago 2.2 mil
9 Montreal 2.0 mil
10 Boston 1.6 mil
I predicted this post to myself as soon as I posted mine!

These reports are always dubious, and don't really the true story of a city's tourism appeal. The report also lists Sao Paulo as way higher than Rio de Janeiro... ever hear anybody tell you their dream is to visit Sao Paulo?

Oh when my baby
Oh when my baby smiles at me
I go to Sao
Sao Paulo
     
     
  #9777  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:24 PM
flipv's Avatar
flipv flipv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I predicted this post to myself as soon as I posted mine!

These reports are always dubious, and don't really the true story of a city's tourism appeal. The report also lists Sao Paulo as way higher than Rio de Janeiro... ever hear anybody tell you their dream is to visit Sao Paulo?

Oh when my baby
Oh when my baby smiles at me
I go to Sao
Sao Paulo
Believe me, nobody is romanticizing Montreal...

Toronto is a far bigger tourist draw, end of story - in fact, so is Vancouver.
     
     
  #9778  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:42 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
Believe me, nobody is romanticizing Montreal...

Toronto is a far bigger tourist draw, end of story - in fact, so is Vancouver.
Hey, I have travelled all over the world, I speak three languages pretty well and can get by in two more.

In all my life I have had exactly... let me count them now... shouldn't be too hard... ZERO people from other countries express their interest in visiting Toronto. ZERO.

Much of my life was spent travelling under the identity of an Ottawan since I lived there for quite some time. Where are you from in Canada? Ottawa. So I never got the "courtesy interest" for either Montreal or Toronto. Nor even for Ottawa for that matter - no one ever responded "Ottawa, I'd like to
visit there someday!"

The places in Canada that titillate people's interest abroad are Montreal, Quebec City, the Rockies (broadly defined), Niagara Falls, Vancouver. Also Newfoundland and the Far North to some degree.

Now... I have had some people tell me that they have been to Ontario-Quebec and ended up (unexpectedly) liking Toronto better than Montreal. Not tons, but I have heard this.

Now Part Deux... I have also had discussions with immigration-minded people about moving to Canada and there Toronto ranks much more highly than Montreal as a settlement destination. If anything, Vancouver is probably second to Toronto and ahead of Montreal on this front.
     
     
  #9779  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:44 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Feb 12, 2014 at 7:08 PM.
     
     
  #9780  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:46 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Don't mind him. He's just a bit hung over after blowing a few thousand bucks at Carnaval... in Sao Paulo!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:46 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.