Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith
All of these new houses are almost done along three blocks of hatfield st in lawrencville. The land was just vacant before so luckily they didn't tear down anything to build these, they are decent infill but the outsides are just kinda boring and I don't like how they are set back from the sidewalk and what's with this stupid trend for the past 5-10 years of putting crappy corrugated metal on the sides of buildings?
|
I live around a block up from these houses. When I first moved into the neighborhood, there was still a building at the bottom of one of the blocks, which I believe acted as offices for the steel mill prior to its closure. The URA knocked the building down well before any construction took place.
I have my issues with the design. The setback is annoying, as it messes with the consistent zero setback on the residential streets. The buildings being so much shorter than the surrounding rowhouses also means the massing seems off, but that's because they used prefab framing, which means they couldn't duplicate the high ceilings of houses in the neighborhood.
My wife is an architect, and she's basically told me the hip thing now is to use "cool materials," as no one actually wants to spend the time to put something ornate which requires a lot of labor hours onto a new house.
In general, though, I think these new houses in Lawrenceville are a bad idea. Lawrenceville has plenty of houses - the focus should be on new apartment buildings. One reason rental prices are so high is so many young people want to live here, but the whole neighborhood is zoned single-family attached. Perhaps 10% of the housing stock was subdivided back when that was okay under zoning, but new houses cannot be subdivided in the neighborhood, and as it gentrifies, the grand houses which were divided are being turned back into houses. That basically left old apartments above storefronts, one suburban-style complex, and a few micro-apartment buildings. Not much at all when you compare to other neighborhoods.