HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9521  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 2:42 AM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is offline
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roncesvalles, Toronto
Posts: 11,654
Redpath has no interest in moving and the City doesn't particularly want them to either. The facility is actually very important for Toronto's food processing industry and if it were to move would be an overall negative for the economy. If they were to move I'm not sure where they could go - there may be some space in the Portlands but if not then probably Hamilton.

A single industrial building on the waterfront isn't going to kill anyone. I think it's kind of cool watching the ships unload from sugar beach myself, and the smell doesn't bother me (though some don't like it). Just needs some beautification along Queen's Quay, which is planned / happening.
     
     
  #9522  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 3:05 AM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,797
I like the idea of things moving to Hamilton.
     
     
  #9523  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 6:23 AM
Gresto's Avatar
Gresto Gresto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I don't think it's possible for Redpath to go. Doesn't all the sugar from Cuba come in to port there? They would have to build a rather large facility on some other part of the waterfront, and it doesn't look like Redpath has any interest at all in moving. They seem adamant they want to stay right there in the middle of downtown.
Eminent domain could be used, but I agree we wouldn't want to lose the manufacturing jobs. If Redpath were forced to move, it would surely take its ball elsewhere as a reprisal. Still, that plant is an eyesore (and olfactory assault) and, in that prominent, valuable location, a relic from the past, when the waterfront was almost strictly utilitarian. That should be public property, imo.
     
     
  #9524  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 1:24 PM
Southcore Southcore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Anyway we'll wait to see if that Bay becomes a Saks.
Isn't it pretty much a sure thing at this point?

Quote:
Richard Baker jumps out of his chauffeur-driven SUV in front of the Hudson’s Bay store at Bloor and Yonge Streets in Toronto. He takes one look at the concrete-encrusted building and deems it “ugly.” Baker, the majority owner of Hudson’s Bay Co. (HBC), suddenly produces an architect’s rendering of a revamp for the store. It shows the place sleekly redesigned, with a white façade and large sheets of glass at the front. And it prominently displays a new name: Saks Fifth Avenue.

“This will be the second-largest Saks in the world,” Baker proclaims with a wave of his hand. “Ground zero for luxury goods in Canada.” And with a nod to Holt Renfrew & Co., the country’s dominant luxury player—whose flagship stands guard a block to the west—he adds: “Did I say it will be double the size of Holt’s?”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on...g-to-go-deluxe/article15633445/?page=all

Also, the latest issue of Toronto Life magazine pegs the total cost of the project to be $100 million
     
     
  #9525  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
And now Nordstrom's is moving into the Eaton Centre and they are rebuilding that section of the mall in a $240 million dollar project announced yesterday.
     
     
  #9526  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 3:31 PM
Mister F Mister F is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
I think everyone agrees that cutting off the waterfront from the public is a nonstarter. 1-7 Yonge doesn't do that, though I will concede that it comes awfully close (landscape plan below).
I don't know how anyone could conclude that this project would cut off the waterfront, or even come close. If that landscape plan is current, no streets are being closed, no public land is being blocked off, and nothing on the waterfront itself is being developed. Looks like Harbour St is being extended and the land on the block south of it is being opened up. Not to mention that the pedestrian experience will be vastly improved with retail and probably enhanced streetscaping. There's a lot that can be criticized about this development but public access to the waterfront isn't one of them.
     
     
  #9527  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 3:41 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
Yes, Wide, Wide Wide Pedestrian Boulvard, spanning some 18 to 20 meters wide. Just fantastic pedestrian experience. Hopefully some first class retail as well.

Getting rid of the highway onramp will opens the space up and makes it far more inviting than it is at present.


http://urbantoronto.ca
     
     
  #9528  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 3:47 PM
DrNest's Avatar
DrNest DrNest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,119
Which on-ramp is being removed? It's hard to tell from that image posted by Gresto, but the east-bound one onto the Gardiner looks like it's still there.
     
     
  #9529  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 4:01 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
The Harbour ramp is gone.. it's going to be turned into a pedestrian-go-slow-street.


Harbour Currently Runs on a Diagonal Onto the Gardiner Expressway.... think about the odd intersection currently about a block north of Queens Quay as you walk down Yonge to the south.




Last edited by caltrane74; Jan 16, 2014 at 4:11 PM.
     
     
  #9530  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 5:03 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
Latest Rendering of 171 Front Street West



From Altusinsite

Leasing District Downtown South
Building Name 171 Front Street West
Office Class A
Total Office Area 740,000 sq. ft.
Number of Floors 40
Typical Floor 18,000 sq. ft.
Construction Status Pre-Leasing
Parking Ratio (1 per) nd
Number of Parking Stalls nd
Direct Available Rate 100.0 %
Direct Available Area 740,000 sq. ft.
Sublet Available Area 0 sq. ft.
Total Available Area 740,000 sq. ft.
Largest Contiguous Available 740,000 sq. ft.


740,000 Square feet? Impressive....
     
     
  #9531  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 5:22 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Harbour is also Lake Shore eastbound. This looks like a traffic nightmare.

740, 000 square feet isn't much. The floor plate is just small. I guess 100 Adelaide may be under 20, 000 square feet too.
     
     
  #9532  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 5:29 PM
suburbanite's Avatar
suburbanite suburbanite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto & NYC
Posts: 5,654
Wow...

The link says it's being managed by the Allied Properties Trust. I looked through their portfolio quickly and they currently don't have any properties even close to something this size in the city. How will they go about funding a project of this magnitude?
__________________
Discontented suburbanite since 1994
     
     
  #9533  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 5:48 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
It's an aggressive REIT with a massive class I portfolio. The opportunities for creating new class I space in Toronto has been exhausted likewise the appeal isn't what it used to be. If I remember correctly, it's among the top performing REITs and can easily handle this project.
     
     
  #9534  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 6:22 PM
DrNest's Avatar
DrNest DrNest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Harbour is also Lake Shore eastbound. This looks like a traffic nightmare.
The area already is congested with traffic. I would have thought they'd want to make it easier to get traffic on and off the Gardiner. I can't see how removing an on-ramp would facilitate that. But I've also not read any studies into traffic movement there. So it could be that moving the entrance elsewhere may actually ease congestion in the immediate vicinity.
     
     
  #9535  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 6:23 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
I think the podium of One Yonge looks awesome. It would be interesting for anyone to look at, not just us development enthusiasts, and it looks just plain beautiful. It might be huge and perhaps a bit overbearing, but I think those cons are far outweighed by the positives.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #9536  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 6:31 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
The area already is congested with traffic. I would have thought they'd want to make it easier to get traffic on and off the Gardiner. I can't see how removing an on-ramp would facilitate that. But I've also not read any studies into traffic movement there. So it could be that moving the entrance elsewhere may actually ease congestion in the immediate vicinity.
The on ramps to the Gardiner are Bay Street (closed?) and Jarvis, no?
What is being eliminated is the connection between Lake Shore eastbound and Harbour Street for additional lighted intersections.
     
     
  #9537  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 6:31 PM
DrNest's Avatar
DrNest DrNest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,119
You're right Chad. And I think that because the podium is horseshoe shaped, with some openness to it on the south side, it won't be as imposing. I think it will be a wonderful addition to that area of Toronto.
     
     
  #9538  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 6:40 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
You're right Chad. And I think that because the podium is horseshoe shaped, with some openness to it on the south side, it won't be as imposing. I think it will be a wonderful addition to that area of Toronto.
I'd rather each tower have their own distinct base. I'm not a " fan" of the podium design either. It looks like an afterthought with little connection to the towers above.
     
     
  #9539  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 6:58 PM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,415
One interesting component to the podium which may not be evident above is that there will be a covered pedestrian walkway connecting the plaza at the intersection of Lakeshore & Yonge with the square north of Harbour. If they line it with retail, creating a kind of shopping lane, that could be pretty cool.
     
     
  #9540  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 7:34 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
Now if it was an enclosed walkway I would be really excited. Then there could be a potential PATH connection to Union Station, or Brookfield Place which are on the otherside of the tracks. Still though looking at the rendering there seems to be a good bit of protection from the elements if needed.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:45 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.