Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport
Regarding the Beltway, your initial claim was that US Airways' large employment at PIT was a driving factor for authorities giving the go-ahead with the first segment. Followed up by the loss of US airways jobs, and lack of replacement jobs, has cancelled the aforementioned need.
|
You are putting a lot of words in my mouth and not getting them right.
But in fact, the 1990s studies done in support of the Southern Beltway specifically designated the airport as one of the four "major destinations and employment centers" in the study area, and the Southern Beltway was specifically selected as the preferred alternative in part because it would improve travel time to those destinations. It was then endorsed by the SPC (then the SPRPC) in part because the SPRPC had designated the airport as a major location of expected jobs growth. And their traffic projections for the Findlay Connector phase as a standalone project specifically cited the number of people who would use it to enter the airport (although presumably that included both passengers and employees).
So I don't know if you are actually trying to deny that expectations for airport employment as of the mid-1990s were part of the rationale for the Southern Beltway, but I think it would be pretty silly if you were.
Moreover, it doesn't matter. I documented that the expectations for the Findlay Connector alone going in were 12,000 daily vehicles, and the actual result has consistently been way less than that. I've also pointed out that the new expectations even if it is extended to I-79 are only 6500. I've suggested that a large portion of that discrepancy between original expectations and actual results/current expectations was the massive shortfall of employment at the airport, which apparently caused a poster who chose to name him- or herself "PITairport" to leap to defend its good name. But even if that isn't contributing to the discrepancy (which, again, I think is a silly proposition), that just means any other causes of the discrepancy are doing more of the work. And it is the fact of the discrepancy itself that makes extending the Southern Beltway impossible to justify given its cost.
But that said, even at the risk of offending those who identify themselves personally with the airport, I am going to continue to conclude that a major contributing factor to the dramatic shortfall of vehicles was the massive disappointment the airport ended up being as an employment center.
Quote:
|
As far as there being a lack of substitute for US Airways employment cutbacks, that is also incorrect, as the energy industry has filled much of that void centered around Southpointe.
|
You'll have to do more than that to show Southpointe will actually restore enough potential demand for the Southern Beltway to make its costs justifiable.
Of course Southpointe has already been a success in part because it is located on I-79, which allows access both into the core area and also out into Marcellus territory. And to the extent people work at Southpointe, I understand a lot of them live nearby, farther out, or in reasonable proximity to I-79 as it is.
That doesn't mean there would be absolutely no one who would use the extended Southern Beltway to get to Southpointe, but we are talking about a project which is many, many thousands of daily vehicles away from being justifiable. So you have to show that Southpointe can have an effect of that magnitude--and notably, the Turnpike Commission itself has not yet made any such predictions.
So not exactly a neutral source, but in any event, it makes my point for me. The verb there is "supporting" (not responsible for, the engine of, or so on). If you then look at how they get that number you are relying on, airport employment (including both aviation-related and non-aviation tenants on airport land) only accounts for a fraction of it, even when you add in "second-round effects" (which applies multiples based on the theory the money paid to first round employees is circulating through the local economy and supporting more jobs). Rather, a large majority of the jobs being "supported" are the result of visitor expenditures, plus second round effects on top of those expenditures.
Of course it is perfectly fair to say the airport "supports" those visitor expenditures and the resulting jobs. It is not at all fair or accurate to claim the airport is "responsible" for those visitor expenditures and resulting jobs. That is because those visitors are actually coming to Pittsburgh for some other reason, and the airport is just a tool they use to get here. Therefore, those other reasons they are coming here at least share responsibility for, and in fact really drive, their visits. But the airport does "support" those visits.
This is precisely how airports get oversold in development circles. You definitely need a decent airport to "support" visitors who want to come to your locale. But the airport isn't what is driving those visits in the first place, and confusing the two concepts can lead to bad policy decisions.
Quote:
|
Since we are using Google (a California company) as an example, there is no way they would have set up shop in Pgh if air service was not a requirement.
|
I'm not sure what you are saying here, but I am pretty sure if they didn't care about air service they still would have come here, because it all started with a program at CMU, and they continue to reference accessing the local talent base as their main reason to be here.
I guess I shouldn't be arguing with someone who identifies personally with an airport about the importance of airports, but all this is really quite simple. Yes, a decent airport is important to have, but only because it supports visitors, and businesses, and so on, not because it is actually the fundamental driver of all that activity.
Again, not exactly the neutral source I asked for, but the phrase "in some way reliant" basically makes my point for me.
Quote:
|
There are hundreds more, but a common theme is the large amount of resulting employment not directly on the airport.
|
Again, "resulting" is not a fair translation of "supporting". When you look at what they mean by supporting, many other causes are also contributing to the jobs in question, as I originally pointed out.
Quote:
|
The same can be said for the NSC
|
Well no, not about the NSC, because it is already built.
Now you are right that the same could be said for the idea of extending the T from the NSC to the airport--and I have said it myself!
Quote:
|
That's because it is free. Its popularity so far is because it is nothing more than a fancy extended parking lot to downtown.
|
Even at free, few people will ride it for fun (not more than once, at least--it ain't that fun). And it is doing more than serving parkers--people use it for North Shore events/activities, and also for access to the North Side (more, frankly, than I was expecting).
In any event, it doesn't matter why it is already more popular than the extended Southern Beltway is projected to be. The fact that it is means it is not an apt analogy.
Quote:
|
Development potential? Perhaps, I like Toby Keith but talk about potential wasted. This whole conversation is a moot point if this is the development we get after a $500 million 1 mile tunnel.
|
It is also a couple floors of office space, but yes, that particular project 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. However, there is still a LOT of space around the stations, not all of it in the hands of Continental. And the basic point is that we don't need to rely on extending the NSC further for it to be a useful piece of infrastructure.
Quote:
"Project Need and Purpose
The Southern Beltway will support economic development in southwestern Pennsylvania and
improve east-west mobility in the circumferential corridor
south and west of the City of Pittsburgh. The US-22 to I-79 Project will provide safe, efficient transportation improvements in
the corridor between US-22 and I-79, and ultimately improve access to the PIA from the south. It will be compatible with local, regional, and national planning efforts, and will improve access
for employment, industry, truck traffic, emergency services, and future growth areas by providing a modern transportation facility that enhances transportation continuity locally and regionally. The project is expected to address the following transportation needs and
deficiencies within the corridor:
•Poor circumferential mobility to adjacent job and planned growth areas
•Only two-lane roads are available for traveling in an east-west direction through the corridor
•Poor east-west mobility for auto, transit, and truck travel
•The transportation network is inadequate to serve economic development plans
•Safety concerns because of the deficient roadway network
The purpose and major benefits of
completing Southern Beltway from US-22 to I-79 are:
•Makes critical side road connections and improves travel times
•Relieves congestion while improving safety
•Increases potential for orderly economic development in Findlay and North/South Fayette Townships in Allegheny County and Robinson, Mount Pleasant, and Cecil Townships in Washington County
•Significantly improves access to the PIA for traffic travelling north on I-79"[/I]
http://www.spcregion.org/pdf/tipamend/be...Narrative_Southern%20Beltway%20draft.pdf
|
So I suggest you are engaging in the fallacy of only looking at benefits, and ignoring costs. You claim no, no, you are perfectly capable of doing cost/benefit analysis. I challenge you to do that, and you quote . . . a passage that only looks at benefits and makes no mention of costs.
Point made, don't you think?
Quote:
|
So you were debunked with your Allegheny County example, you want to shift goal posts. Now you are focusing on areas outside Allegheny County but that's fine as the need for mass transit in those areas is even less.
|
Oh, nonsense. Go back and read the post I was responding to, then my full post in response. I haven't shifted anything, and I stand by everything I originally said. If you want to insist on misreading it for what you think is great rhetorical effect, it just makes you look petty and uninterested in a serious discussion.
Quote:
|
If "there are already a lot of other users of the mode in question", then that should weigh heavily on what the priorities should be. Anything else is an attempt to shift people's transportation habbits.
|
That is terrible reasoning, although all too typical of people who have turned transportation policy into another front in the "culture wars".
The vast majority of people don't inherently prefer one mode over another. They just use whatever is most practical in terms of cost, convenience, time, and so on. As a result, most people will freely use different modes depending on the purpose and options at hand.
So transportation planners shouldn't put any special weight on what people are currently using, because that just tells you what options they currently have. Instead, transportation planners should use whatever technologies and modes they have available and that would provide better options, because people will go ahead and use them.
In fact, if it was bad "to shift people's transportation habbits," we would almost all still be walking, because that was the dominant mode of human transportation for quite a long time. But that's silly--historically most people didn't walk everywhere because they inherently preferred walking, that was just the only practical option available to them.
Quote:
|
Good transportation planning should address peoples needs and lifestyles, not shift people's needs and lifestyles to suit the transportation agencies.
|
Needs yes, "lifestyles" no. Again, transportation mode choice isn't a "lifestyle" choice for most people, and transportation planners should be focused on serving needs with whatever technologies and modes will do the best job.