First of all my post is taking up the rallying cry of New West, which is a great city and not a highway exit. However, that is how it gets treated with the current plans and discussion.
As for what people would prefer, I assume people in New West are tired of people treating them as a truck stop in highway plans, that their neighbourhoods are improved and not worsen by the people who got their bridge built first, and people would actually ask them what they want improved.
As for the traffic created by my highly unlikely scenario (road building no matter the cost!), the neighbourhoods with traffic moving through them from the patulla to east to the #1 would see the current growth in traffic bypassing the Port Mann be replaced by the regular users of the patulla.
This would not clog the new #17, (are you being dramatic/sarcastic

) The speed traps will more likely cause back-ups

(that was sarcasm)
Quote:
|
Not that much of the demand on that bridge is induced by tolls or congestion on the PMB.
|
I got to take issue with this. There has been a slow growth with the preliminary toll with an expected increase this week with traffic diversion. Heavy trucks is highlighted given their noise and size. I can't find the report right now which is irritating but this is from back in October 7 2013 Sun article:
The New West council
Quote:
|
"formally ask the transportation ministry to immediately lower the tolls on the Port Mann Bridge, and ensure there is direct connection between the South Fraser Perimetre Road and the Port Mann to “alleviate the negative impacts to the Pattullo.”
|
Cars diversion estimated about 5000 a day, but again I don't want to go running with this without the original source. My point is all of this was in the fall with the preliminary tolls. I expect the diversion number to go up this spring.
Quote:
|
Delta and Burnaby have to deal with all that new traffic generated.
|
Yes and no.
Yes, new traffic is being generated, they built a new kick-a$$ highway and upgraded the #1 for a good reason.....what was it again?.....Oh right to aid the movement of goods stuck in traffic.
No, I doubt the new capacity on 17 couldn't take the east-west. The choke-points are still the same on the north side. I may be misreading your point about Burnaby.
Bike connection -> yeah, good point there. It would create a gap in the regional bike network. I would totally support them to just green the bridge for bikes and peds. Not sure the minimum cost for maintaining it. I would love to see a bike/ped bridge somewhere around there. I just think that would be an expensive piece of bike infrastructure as a six lane bridge. The Massey Tunnel is the current gap in the regional system...
different thread.
Quote:
|
Demoing the bridge prior to replacement would be a huge blow to the region.
|
Okay, locals (like those having to drive 30km east) who use is sure. The region, I doubt it (depending if the PMB had full lanes by then). The approximately 500 heavy trucks daily would adjust as would car traffic accordingly. Again, I doubt they can rehabilitate it without closing it so it is going to be close it or build a new one anyway. Given the provinces, is singing "we have no money" translink will be footing the bill, which is favouring unofficial a retrofit, i.e. same capacity. This shouldn't be a surprise given with the cancellation of the NFPR there is not very good supporting network for more capacity.