Encinitas recently passed a measure that anything over 30 feet in the city be put to a vote. They actually want the people who live there to have some control over the size of projects. This might be a trend for other cities in the future.
I have mixed feelings with these kind of measures. Voters should have some control but they aren't always in the best position to make some calls. Good reason why we have problems placing airports,power stations,trash dumps and even gas stations in the city. NIMBY.
That said, I don't think the San Diego area is going to destroy its beaches with high rises anytime soon. They complain about walling off part of the city with hotels and a convention center in a area zoned for high rises so I don't see a high rise invasion of our coastal cities happening in the near future. I can already hear a battle cry not to wall off our beaches.
Miami is one of my least favourite cities in the US partly because they built so much on their beaches. I see them as a bad example to follow. It's always great as a tourist to have your hotel on the beach when visiting but not so great for the people who actually have to live there.
Last edited by Nerv; Jan 2, 2014 at 5:33 PM.
Reason: Spelling
|