Can you provide examples of failed pedestrian malls? I'm sure they exist but it seems that many have been successful. I would be interested in reading about the ones that are commonly viewed as turning out badly.
Note though that my pondering only involved a single street in the strip district. There are a few blocks of Penn Ave that are so overrun with pedestrians that there isn't even enough room on the sidewalk. People constantly walk in the street. Granted, that is during peak summer and weekend periods.
But let's not get completely wound up on that subject alone. The video linked to in that post did indeed show "complete streets". That too is what I would like to see.
In my opinion, all options should be weighed. None should be ruled out because they're seen as "disneyland". And no, I don't agree that pedestrian streets only work in college towns and Disneyland. For example, pretty much every city in Europe, South America, or Asia...
The goal is to put thought into the various options rather than blindly focusing only on cars. When Buncher made its plans for developing in the strip, I doubt that any thought was put into complete street design or perhaps even a pedestrian area around the terminal building. The city would be much better off if that sort of thing was actively discussed.