Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB
THF and Lansdowne are cheap pieces of 🞵🞵🞵🞵, undersized and built on a shoestring. Winnipeg and Regina can afford great venues but the Ontario cities can't pull it off? Both Hamilton and Ottawa will be crying for more seats the day after their stadiums open. The lack of forward thinking in these cities is absolutely amazing to me.
|
I'll take issue with "cheap pieces of 🞵🞵🞵🞵"

The budgets are more limited than what was spent in Winnipeg or will likely be spent in Regina, but I don't think the stadiums in Hamilton and Ottawa will be 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. Basic, utilitarian, functional... few fancy add-ons like a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 curvy roof (though Ottawa's getting that cool wood wrap on its south side)
The stadium capacities do fit the current markets. Take away most of the freebies and THF fits the demand for the Tiger-Cats. Ottawa is starting fresh and should be able to fill its new stadium. Thing is, both stadiums can be expanded.
In Hamilton, the lack of forward thinking relates more to the location than the design - the city didn't do a proper comparative analysis of all possible sites, and the Ti-Cats decided to be difficult late in the game. But the design was selected as a package deal with other Pan-Am Games facilities; so it wasn't just about the best bid to create THF, but the best bid for all. The Cats and some city staff had a bit of input into that process, but I think the budget was a limiting factor. I would have liked to see Young come up with some bucks to provide something more... and he still can if 24k is not enough capacity, I suppose.
There are still a lot of people in Hamilton who disagree with spending ANY money on a new stadium. Without the Pan-Am Games, we'd be putting band-aids on Ivor Wynne for a long time to come.